Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#100 Re: Mother's Ruin
June 11, 2013, 12:33:44 pm
DO you drink your's neet or with tonic water?
If you do drink it G&T do you get gin dreams with that much consumption?  :pissed:

I can't understand why most of europe unless it is a highly trendy bar (when am I going to visit something like that nowadays  :wavecry: ) serve the most ropey gin that is possible, usually makes beefeater seem drinkable :-S

Drinking (ocasionally) Bombay Safire but when the bottle is finished, will be looking on here for some insparation.
I drink my gin with tonic, lime and ice.
I know what you mean, most places seem to think a bottle of gordons is acceptable unless its a swanky bar with sky high prices.
I don't know what gin dreams are?
I would recomend trying to get a bottle of tanquary export as your next bottle of gin, pretty good stuff and fairly readily available over here

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#101 Re: Mother's Ruin
June 11, 2013, 04:42:35 pm
I love Tanqueray's standard London Gin, not tried the export but I will now.

Saw this in Waitrose the other day and almost bought it but went for a litre of the normal instead:

http://cocktails.about.com/od/spiritreviews/gr/tnqry_rangpur.htm

Have you tried it Jim?

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#102 Re: Mother's Ruin
June 11, 2013, 07:07:21 pm
Not tried the rangpur yet. I think you maybe confusing the export and the standard stuff, they are both the same

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#103 Re: Mother's Ruin
June 11, 2013, 08:08:09 pm
Ah right. Well in that case I totally agree with your recommendation as it's lovely and has been my gin of choice for a while. The only trouble is it never lasts long.

I'm gonna get some Rangpur this week and will report back.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#104 Re: Mother's Ruin
June 11, 2013, 08:34:21 pm
Another good one to try (my favourite gin actually) is by m&s, think its just their premium gin. Its in a clear bottle in a black box. It's not cheap but very very good and worth the money IMHO

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse

bobkatebob

• menacing presence
#106 Re: Mother's Ruin
June 12, 2013, 09:32:55 pm
 Gin dreams are when you get weird dreams after drinking loads of G&T
It's the tonic water though, not the gin. Or at least that's what I've been told.

Yoof

• menacing presence
#107 Re: Mother's Ruin
June 13, 2013, 12:10:23 am
I have a bit of a gin problem... i.e. I'm a student, who very much likes Plymouth, and experimenting with new gins...  :(

Has anyone tried Brecon gin? It's in the local supermarket, but annoyingly not in bars. The only way to try it is therefore to buy a (one litre) bottle.

Issues.

If there's no reply within two days time, I'll post my own thoughts and save other people the risk.

andy popp

• forum hero
#108 Re: Mother's Ruin
June 13, 2013, 06:19:54 am
I've had the Brecon gin - I enjoyed it. But it was awhile ago and can't remember too much about it, character etc.

andy popp

• forum hero
#109 Re: Mother's Ruin
January 11, 2014, 06:06:02 pm
Enjoyed two great martinis at Birmingham's Victorian Gin Parlour (http://www.thejekyllandhyde.co.uk/gin-parlour/) last night, served by a particularly charming waitress ( :wub:). The first was with Caorunn but the second, with Miller's Westbourne (47%), selected for me by said waitress (did I mention  :wub:), was particularly good.

The whole place is a bit faux, of course, but very good fun.

Went back to the Gin Parlour last night. The same waitress was working. I'm still a bit in love. Alas, after a three martini I'm not completely clear what gins I sampled. The first was made with No. 3, after that I'm not so sure.

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
#110 Re: Mother's Ruin
January 11, 2014, 08:11:29 pm
Currently working my way through 4.5 litres of homemade damson gin that I bottled up at Christmas. not quite the same as a g&t but thoroughly enjoyable!

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#111 Re: Mother's Ruin
January 11, 2014, 08:55:42 pm
Currently working my way through 4.5 litres of homemade damson gin that I bottled up at Christmas. not quite the same as a g&t but thoroughly enjoyable!

Can beat that with nearly 6 litres of sloe\damson gin which is proving far too enjoyable (a fair bit of that was for Christmas presents in my defence). Got to decant the old berries again soon as I added the remains into two bottles and added a litre of sherry to each which is an old trick that has been recommended to me. I will report back on whether cream sherry or dry sherry is a better option as I had no idea when stood looking in Tesco's.   :alky:

tomtom

• forum hero
#112 Re: Mother's Ruin
January 11, 2014, 09:08:38 pm
Good tip that..

SpanishJuan

• obsessive maniac
  • two dumplings short of a stew
  • punter
#113 Re: Mother's Ruin
April 13, 2014, 09:30:46 pm
Dunno if anyone else has recommended this?
http://www.masterofmalt.com/gin/warner-edwards/warner-edwards-harrington-dry-gin/]
Warner Edwards Harrington Dry Gin (70cl, 44.0%) [/url] its very tasty.

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#114 Re: Mother's Ruin
April 15, 2014, 03:44:45 pm
Not tried the rangpur yet. I think you maybe confusing the export and the standard stuff, they are both the same

The Rangpur was excessively flavoured and overpowered by the lime, not good in my opinion.

Paul B

• forum hero
#115 Re: Mother's Ruin
April 15, 2014, 07:41:05 pm
I thought the Rangpur was great the first time around but I'm not too blown away by it this time. I bought Chancery this time, mainly because it was cheap and I was buying more than one bottle of spirit!

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#116 Re: Mother's Ruin
April 15, 2014, 09:42:51 pm
got the misses a bottle of caorunn gin for mothers day from the kids  ;)
cracked it open the other night, very smooth indeed but not enough spice for my liking. Would be pretty easy to drink a whole bottle in one sitting.
Maybe best suited to other mixers/cocktails rather than with tonic
Think my favorite is still either blackwoods or the M&S stuff. Looking forward to G&T season!!!

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#117 Re: Mother's Ruin
April 16, 2014, 08:03:49 am
The G&T season is 12 months long.

Paul B

• forum hero
#118 Re: Mother's Ruin
April 16, 2014, 10:05:26 pm
got the misses a bottle of caorunn gin for mothers day from the kids  ;)
cracked it open the other night, very smooth indeed but not enough spice for my liking. Would be pretty easy to drink a whole bottle in one sitting.

Agreed.

andy popp

• forum hero
#119 Re: Mother's Ruin
December 23, 2014, 06:01:27 pm
Though gin season is 12 months long it was time today for the annual pilgrimage to Booths for Christmas gin! Huzzah.

Invested in two bottles. First The Botanist from Islay - just had a first taste as a small glass straight and very cold. I'd heard great things about this gin but hadn't tried it: it really is superb; smooth and complex.

Second, Hayman's Old Tom, which I'd tried once (at a festival) and liked. An older sweeter style, not normally my thing. It is sweet but I'm looking forward to trying it in a Negroni, where it could work well against the bitter of Campari. That's my evening sorted.

Chin chin!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 06:22:24 pm by andy popp »

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#120 Re: Mother's Ruin
December 23, 2014, 06:23:42 pm
Just popped in as the thread name peaked my curiousity.

Anyone tried uncle Val's Gin?  A more herbal/botanical style, but VERY good.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#121 Re: Mother's Ruin
May 10, 2015, 09:37:10 pm
I know nowt about gin other than I like the odd gin n tonic. Came recommended and I liked the name. Anyway I think it's very nice.
Monkey 47: German, 47 botanicals, 47%

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
#123 Re: Mother's Ruin
June 09, 2015, 10:52:08 pm
Just working my way through this http://www.northof7distillery.ca/#!triple-beam-gin/cw39 made by a mate of mine, a Canadian route setter called Jody. he gave me and Percy a bottle each at the Toronto WC. I doubt very much it is available in the UK so will have to get some more next year

Have had it in G&T, martini and straight so far. Nice and dry. Yummy in fact  :alky:

Paul B

• forum hero
#124 Re: Mother's Ruin
April 05, 2020, 04:58:39 pm
I'm currently consuming far more alcohol (mostly in gin form but also some whisky and the occasional rum) during the lockdown. I'm trying to justify it by picking topical films such as Public Enemy and Lawless  :alky:. So, on that note I thought I'd resurrect this thread:

Does anyone have thoughts on the Malfy Con Limone or similar?
Cotswolds Dry Gin - we received this as a Christmas present and it's reasonably nice but I wouldn't rush out to buy it again.
Tarquin’s Cornish Gin - again, another Christmas present but this one isn't really doing it for me. Overly dry?
Drumshanbo Gunpowder Gin bought by a member of this parish. I'm quite impressed by it TBF.

This still remains a firm favourite:
Tanqueray Flor de Sevilla

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal