UKBouldering.com

Mother's Ruin (Read 50531 times)

andy popp

• forum hero
Mother's Ruin
December 22, 2011, 10:10:26 pm
Do we have a gin thread? We should.

Frequent visits to Lancaster and the discovery Booths is revealing a new world of gins.

Have long been a Tangueray or Plymouth man (bugger Bombay Sapphire, much too sweet), I like super dry

But am more recently converted to Blackwood's - a Shetland gin for the Laphroiag lover (http://www.blackwoodsgin.net/). I also fell for Hendricks but now find it too cloying.

More recent purchases include Sipsmith's (http://www.sipsmith.com/), nice and dry, and today Caorunn (http://www.caorunngin.com/), drinking straight now, very smooth and floral.

But there was much much more on offer. What is everyone else drinking?

chris j

• forum abuser
#1 Re: Mother's Ruin
December 22, 2011, 10:16:00 pm
Caorunn is excellent, and possibly my favourite at the moment. Another excellent Scottish gin worth seeking out is Boe. I've also recently tried the Blackwoods cask strength (60%?) which was a little rough for my taste.

tomtom

• forum hero
#2 Mother's Ruin
December 22, 2011, 10:17:02 pm
Ooh... Always been a Tanquery man myself....

Never really considered others aside from Sapphire, and of course Larios when getting quadrouple measures in Spain!

How do you take your Gin?

Stubbs

#3 Re: Mother's Ruin
December 22, 2011, 10:21:42 pm
Plymouth for me, with Hendricks (with cucumber of course) as an occasional change.  I agree though that it can be a little cloying, if you're having more than one it is almost sickly.  I'll look into your other choices with enthusiasm!

andy popp

• forum hero
#4 Re: Mother's Ruin
December 22, 2011, 10:32:35 pm
Oohh, I fancy this: http://www.masterofmalt.com/gin/bathtub-gin/

I normally just take with tonic (Schweppes of course, never slimline) and lemon but just now again as a Martini (Noilly Prat), but I've just drunk a small Caorunn completely straight; excellent, very smooth. I also always store in the freezer.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#5 Re: Mother's Ruin
December 23, 2011, 05:09:20 am
Home brew!

I'd love to but I'd be in tears most of the time

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#6 Re: Mother's Ruin
December 23, 2011, 07:46:29 am
One of the nicest gins I've ever had was in Daytona of all places unfortunately I've never come across it for sale in the UK (although obviously have found it on-line).

Van Gough Gin...

Some bullshit prose around the ingredients...

...coriander and licorice from the Middle East, angelica and juniper berries from the Netherlands, grains of paradise from West Africa, almonds from Spain, lemons from the United States, cassia bark from India, orris from southern Europe and cubeb berries from Indonesia, are then individually distilled in small pot stills and meticulously blended together with Van Gogh’s triple distilled grain alcohol.

Damn tasty it is too.

Currently I've a bottle of Hendricks which will be getting a full work out over the coming days.

galpinos

• forum hero
#7 Re: Mother's Ruin
December 23, 2011, 09:47:58 am
Martini - Plymouth
With Tonic - Hendricks (Cucumber) or Tanqueray (Lime)
For the Mother in Law - Gordons

There's a bottle of Bombay on the shelf as well for a change.

I'm interested in investigating some of the other options on this thread though.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#8 Re: Mother's Ruin
December 23, 2011, 10:02:03 am
I love gin but know very little about it. This thread could be dangerous.......

chris j

• forum abuser
#9 Re: Mother's Ruin
December 23, 2011, 10:33:58 am
Usually take mine with tonic, ice and lemon. Have had with cucumber when forced upon me but that doesn't really work for me. Haven't tried storing in the freezer, betraying my ignorance, is this just for a half hour or so before you drink it or a permanent arrangement?

andy popp

• forum hero
#10 Re: Mother's Ruin
December 23, 2011, 10:49:20 am
That's the idea Jas ...

For the Mother in Law - Gordons

My parents must have been drinking gin for nearly 50 years and still only ever buy Gordons, what's more they've taken to buying supermarket own brand tonic (slimline) and they don't even put it in the fridge = bland, warmish progressively diluted GnT.

Chris, I leave it in the freezer permanently. Obviously doesn't freeze but does get a nice oily viscosity and does away with the need for ice and is essential for a good Martini. But if someone tells me I'm ruining the flavour then I'll change my ways

galpinos

• forum hero
#11 Re: Mother's Ruin
December 23, 2011, 11:44:51 am
My pet hate is two sorry looking ice cubes floating in my G&T. Fill the glass with ice so when I finish my drink, it hasn't all melted and my G&T hasn't ended up as lukewarm mildy alcoholic lemony water.

Both my mum, mu mum in law and all family friends of that generation drink Gordons. They also make it so strong it's ridiculous. The mum in law seems to work on the 50:50 principle.  :pissed:

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#12 Re: Mother's Ruin
December 23, 2011, 11:48:01 am

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#13 Re: Mother's Ruin
December 23, 2011, 11:54:44 am
I fucking love gin.  :wub:

Larios when getting quadrouple measures in Spain!
Larios has got to be my favourite gin of all time, it's so good, especially considering the price of it.  I always bring a bottle back when I go to Spain, ideally one of the plastic bottles they do it in.  :great:

How do you take your Gin?
Loads of ice and lime, it must be lime, lemon is simply not on in my world.  Cucumber is wrong too, I hate cucumber at the best of times but I definitely do not want it tainting my beautiful gin.

Currently, as well as my one true love Larios, I have a bottle of Hendricks on the go and now a full bottle of Gordon's that I got from work, I'm not really a big Gordon's fan but I'll drink it if I have to.  :whistle:

recently converted to Blackwood's - a Shetland gin for the Laphroiag lover (http://www.blackwoodsgin.net/)
  I'm going to need to try this now, I adore Laphroiag.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#14 Re: Mother's Ruin
December 23, 2011, 12:10:53 pm
I'm going to need to try this now, I adore Laphroiag.

I do too, but only recently noticed my latest bottle is 47% ABV not the usual 40%.   :goodidea:

tomtom

• forum hero
#15 Mother's Ruin
December 23, 2011, 12:17:35 pm
Larios works really well for sloe gin too Magpie, of course you have to drink 1/2 the bottle first :)

JamieG

• forum hero
#16 Re: Mother's Ruin
December 23, 2011, 12:22:23 pm
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spencerfield-Spirit-Company-Edinburgh-Gin/dp/B0040KS404

This is supposed to be good. Not drunk it myself, but have heard good things.

chris j

• forum abuser
#17 Re: Mother's Ruin
December 23, 2011, 01:12:56 pm
Magpie, I'd skip Blackwoods (though it is good) and go straight to Caorunn or Boe.

Andy, thanks for that, I sense a comparison test coming on between freezer stored and normal with ice...  ;D

Paul B

• forum hero
#18 Re: Mother's Ruin
December 23, 2011, 06:02:47 pm
I think Fever Tree Tonic makes a big difference.

I'm yet to open the Sipsmiths but Hendricks (w/ cucumber) and Tanqueray Rangpur have been my favourites lately.

The Blackwoods sounds seriously interesting.

andy popp

• forum hero
#19 Re: Mother's Ruin
December 23, 2011, 06:33:05 pm
Having sorted myself with the Caorunn I realized I needed something to give rellies/visitors and went for a punt on Brecon Special Reserve (http://www.welsh-whisky.co.uk/spirits/brecon-gin.aspx); light and citrusy.

I have to confess I can't remember which Blackwood's I bought, maybe the 2007 Vintage, it has the salty, tangy thing.

Now the only question is how long I can hold off on Christmas morning ... I am cooking after all
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 06:39:55 pm by andy popp »

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#20 Re: Mother's Ruin
December 23, 2011, 07:14:43 pm

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#21 Re: Mother's Ruin
December 23, 2011, 09:47:58 pm
I love a good G&T.  Like Galpinos' Mum in Law, I prefer mine 50/50 and strong rather than tall. 

One thing missed so far is how much difference a good tonic makes.  My current fave is the small bottles of Fentimans, perfect size, perfect taste and a very subtle fizz.  Kicks Schweppes into touch....

tomtom

• forum hero
#22 Re: Mother's Ruin
December 23, 2011, 10:16:27 pm
Loving this thread :) great idea and title Andy...

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#23 Re: Mother's Ruin
December 24, 2011, 07:39:29 pm
I thought this might be a boulder problem on Mother's Cap or some-such. However. Not being a fan of gin I've not got much to add, apart from if you're ever in Granada there's a bar near the university that just does gin, with menus allowing you to pick n' mix all sorts of flavourings and combinations (and tonics to keep FD happy) till you can't see to read any more (about 3am usually).

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#24 Re: Mother's Ruin
December 27, 2011, 08:33:11 pm
My favourite tonic is Nordic Mist, I admit to not trying that may though.

Larios works really well for sloe gin too Magpie, of course you have to drink 1/2 the bottle first :)
I may just look into that, I got some sloe gin last year as a secret santa present and was surprised by how nice it was, I'm not sure what you are supposed to drink it with though...

Magpie, I'd skip Blackwoods (though it is good) and go straight to Caorunn or Boe.

I'll check those out too, ta.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal