UKBouldering.com

Benchmark V6 (/ Font 7a(?) / B7 / 6b) s around the country?? (Read 28173 times)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Sorry for the shamelessly grade-orientated topic but basically a friend and I are after a certain level of challenge (i.e. one I can't do  :?  :wink:  :roll: ) and I believe it equates to V6 and all it's equivalents. But since there's so much variety and so many guides seem innaccurate one way or another, I'm hoping you lot can provide some suggestions that are "proper" at the grade.

Particularly from:

The Peaks
Yorkshire
North Wales
The Lakes
Northumberland

Also Pex and Dumby too....actually best just list some V3s for Pex  :P

A variety of styles would be cool but anything with stunning lines, beautiful rock textures and intensely satisfying movement would be nice too :wink:

Scouse D

• forum hero
Peak....I reckon the nose is pretty benchmark
N.Wales....Fear of a slopey planet, Elephantitus
Pex....Bernie the bolt(although catalepsy is soft for V7 and more like benchmark V6 IMO)

Doylo

• forum hero
Quote from: "Scouse D"
Peak....I reckon the nose is pretty benchmark
N.Wales....Fear of a slopey planet, Elephantitus
Pex....Bernie the bolt(although catalepsy is soft for V7 and more like benchmark V6 IMO)

i'd say the nose is defo a grade easier than elephantitus Dave, Popcorn Party is pretty benchmark i reckon, i love that problem.

Scouse D

• forum hero
Suppose you're right chris. The nose does feel pretty easy-I just assumed it's cos I had it wired. Can't comment on PP, though most people feel V6 is right.Was gonna suggest Cromlech roof crack too but I reckon that's easier than Elephantitus too!

tom

got to be king of drunks up on wavelenght for wales and gorilla warfare for the peak

Scouse D

• forum hero
KOD is only really V5, although I do agree with Gorrilla warfare.

Doylo

• forum hero
Quote from: "Scouse D"
Suppose you're right chris. The nose does feel pretty easy-I just assumed it's cos I had it wired. Can't comment on PP, though most people feel V6 is right.Was gonna suggest Cromlech roof crack too but I reckon that's easier than Elephantitus too!

hard to comapare CRC and elephantitus, CRC is pumy whereas elephanitus is one hard move, prob similar grade though.
Just realised this threads getting a bit wales orientated, dunno for the peak, Ape Drape maybe? I would say Angel Deelite for lancashire but its probably a bit controversial as it gets V7.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
Weedkiller at the Tor.

It is only V6, there are no hard moves on it, just a lot of them.

Doylo

• forum hero
Quote from: "dobbin"
Weedkiller at the Tor.

thats no way v6 ben, its harder than powerband! You've got that crag too wired! p.s. its bone dry at the mo. p.p.s so's rubicon

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
Quote from: "Chris Doyle"
Weedkiller at the Tor.

thats no way v6 ben, its harder than powerband! You've got that crag too wired! p.s. its bone dry at the mo. p.p.s so's rubicon

You done Stamina band yet?

Big Frank

• forum abuser
The finest V6 in the UK is in Yorkshire, in fact it's in Nidderdale, in fact it's at ..................................... , no I couldnt possibly say.

But it truly is fantastic. Even if I still can not latch the top.

But I'm sworn to secrecy.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Weedkiller at the Tor.

Hardly the same grade as Gorrilla Warfare (bog standard 7a) tho is it. Is this a list of Benchmark V6's or an exercise in downgrading one-up-manship. Surely Benchmark means in the middle of the grade range.

Doylo

• forum hero
Quote from: "Adam Lincoln"
Quote from: "Chris Doyle"
Weedkiller at the Tor.

You done Stamina band yet?

nope :crying:

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Quote from: "FH"
The finest V6 in the UK is in Yorkshire, in fact it's in Nidderdale, in fact it's at ..................................... , no I couldnt possibly say.

Is this the crag Andy Crome has been doing stuff at (other than Whitehouses) by any chance? I can think of a couple of candidates there.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Woah woah okay can someone slow down please, I can't keep up.

Can you post which crags these things are too please, I'm hoping this will end up as some kind of useful definitive reference list thing...

E.g. where are The Nose, FOASP, Elephantitis, Popcorn Party??

P.S. FH I hate you.

jonP

• obsessive maniac
Quote from: "Bonjoy"
Is this the crag Andy Crome has been doing stuff at (other than Whitehouses) by any chance? I can think of a couple of candidates there.

That's the one.  I believe FH is refering to A Little Sparkle - a very fine problem.  Dunno if it qualifies as benchmark V6 though - seems a bit too easy.

jonP

• obsessive maniac
Quote from: "Fiend"
P.S. FH I hate you.

All will be revealed ... soon.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Quote from: "jonP"

That's the one.  I believe FH is refering to A Little Sparkle - a very fine problem.  Dunno if it qualifies as benchmark V6 though - seems a bit too easy.

Which one is A Little Sparkle? Is it the wall right of the Diamond crack? Have you done my arete Jesus Jellymould on the edgy bit behind the Diamond crack? Very good V6/7, V7 from sitter.

Big Frank

• forum abuser
Quote from: "FH"

Could well be!, but we will leave that one there.

jonP

• obsessive maniac
Is it the wall right of the Diamond crack?

Yep.

Have you done my arete Jesus Jellymould on the edgy bit behind the Diamond crack? Very good V6/7, V7 from sitter.

No - do you mean on the main edge above the track before you get to Diamond Crack?

Big Frank

• forum abuser
Quote from: "jonP"

Which one is A Little Sparkle? Is it the wall right of the Diamond crack? Have you done my arete Jesus Jellymould on the edgy bit behind the Diamond crack? Very good V6/7, V7 from sitter.

If thats the one on the block lower down, then no but we know where it is.

I noticed last week the AC's ladder is still in that other area to the west, has that arete been climbed?(grade) and the wall to theright?

Big Frank

• forum abuser
Quote from: "Fiend"

P.S. FH I hate you.

I love you Fiend! :kiss:

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
J J is on the edge directly above the Diamond Crack block, tenous laybacking on the LH side of an overhanging arete to a jug/ledge.
 Andy has done an arete in the V7 range at the west end of the place, not sure if it's the one you are inquiring after.

Big Frank

• forum abuser
J J is on the edge directly above the Diamond Crack block, tenous laybacking on the LH side of an overhanging arete to a jug/ledge.
 Andy has done an arete in the V7 range at the west end of the place, not sure if it's the one you are inquiring after.

Not tried that, but yes I think I know where it is.
The V7 your talking about could be at Mop Top?......The V2 arete from either side there is nice.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
No its not the on the MTB, it,s further west above the road, more recently done.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal