UKBouldering.com

Climbing at Peak Cavern - split from: Dave MacLeod blog thread (Read 15930 times)

sidewinder

• obsessive maniac
and climbed 4 pitch new sport routes on a huge new crag in the middle of the Peak District
Is this the quarry opposite Stoney, I had heard it was going to be opened up to climbing but wasn't aware that it had started already?

north_country_boy

• junky
and climbed 4 pitch new sport routes on a huge new crag in the middle of the Peak District
Is this the quarry opposite Stoney, I had heard it was going to be opened up to climbing but wasn't aware that it had started already?

Peak Cavern I believe....

Snoops

• obsessive maniac

I take slight humbrance to the 'new crag' bit. There has been 3 maybe 4 aid routes on there for a longtime. But you have to have permission to climb , which is rarely given. Still if he has freed them, thats cool.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
Is a humbrance some kind of manticore? Here's one taking umbrage:  ;)

Yeah, that cave has been longingly eyed by many, would be great news if they plan to open it up. More pics...

« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 12:50:39 pm by r-man »

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
I had the pleasure of a couple of days access work on Peak Cavern a few years back. Its decent quality rock, and has the potential for a small number of superb routes. By Peak standards they'd be very long, but I think 4 pitches must involve a fair bit of pissing around in the back of the cave.

Teaboy

• forum hero
I thought this place was totally banned, is there a way to get permission to climb then or is this one of those made for TV one offs?

nash1

• menacing presence
Very much a one off I believe...

jimmykay

• regular
That looks like an incredible bit of rock... :bounce:

Snoops

• obsessive maniac
Is a humbrance some kind of manticore? Here's one taking umbrage:  ;)
Crikey, thats another word I've been using most of my adult life that doesn't exist. :spank:

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK

Really? Where did you hear this?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

:P

sidewinder

• obsessive maniac

:P

Doubters, it was from the best of sources, a friend, of a friend, of a friend.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Some of you local BMC access reps have already been for a look round said quarry. I daresay this is where the rumours have come from. There are no plans to open it for climbing at present, but be sure the BMC will in on any discussion as early if it looks possible. Although some of the faces are impressive, there is a LOT of loose rock. Potential undoubtedly, but the place really needs a couple of decades to settle down.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Some of you local BMC access reps have already been for a look round said quarry. I daresay this is where the rumours have come from. There are no plans to open it for climbing at present, but be sure the BMC will in on any discussion as early if it looks possible. Although some of the faces are impressive, there is a LOT of loose rock. Potential undoubtedly, but the place really needs a couple of decades to settle down.

If Peak Cavern is in play unless Neil gets there first I bags the flake line on the left

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
QUARRY, Shark, quarry. Not Peak cavern.

Stabbsy

• junky
Although some of the faces are impressive, there is a LOT of loose rock. Potential undoubtedly, but the place really needs a couple of decades to settle down.

That doesn't normally stop some people. Can we not just stick the whole thing together with excessive amounts of glue and create some proper Yorkshire "classics"? Just look at the quality routes at Foredale, Giggleswick, Castleberg, etc. :whistle:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Should be right up Gary Gibsons street then (once he's got over his current injury)!  :P

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
QUARRY, Shark, quarry. Not Peak cavern.

I thought that was MI5 speak - can't get Peak Cavern off my mind now   :wub:

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1

Peak Cavern I believe....

Sounds like you are on the money NCB. Any rumours as to whether this is a one-off publicity quid pro quo or whether there is any paving of the way done for the rest of us? Here's hoping....and praying

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
this is a one-off publicity quid pro quo

As far as I know that is abou the size of it. However that's not to say the TV spectacular might generate a surge of interest in the place that would force concessions for climbing access.

From a quick look at their website, the cave is closed after 5pm every day, and during weekdays Nov-Mar. From memory, the area on the left (across the river) is well seperated from the public at all times, but the bit behind the ticket hut would be a no-hoper.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
From memory, the area on the left (across the river) is well seperated from the public at all times, but the bit behind the ticket hut would be a no-hoper.

From memory there is a stonking line looking to weigh in at 7Cish but needing cleaning. Even if we just had that route perhaps as a tester how cool would that be. It would give the visitors something extra to look at a safe distance (especially compared to Gordale)   

north_country_boy

• junky
From memory, the area on the left (across the river) is well seperated from the public at all times, but the bit behind the ticket hut would be a no-hoper.

From memory there is a stonking line looking to weigh in at 7Cish but needing cleaning. Even if we just had that route perhaps as a tester how cool would that be. It would give the visitors something extra to look at a safe distance (especially compared to Gordale)   

I'm sure all the details will be released at some point soon, but I think its safe to say this was a one off and is unlikely to suddenly open the floodgates to more new routeing....

Hydraulic Man

• player
I had a PM conversation with a board member about access to the flake on the left of the cave a few years ago but was never followed up. I know the caves custodian reasonably well and access to the left of the wall could have been arranged.

Strange but true story when we wanted to film in the cave in 92 the Duchy of Lancaster wanted a hefty 10K for the privilege......

Wood FT

• forum hero
Is it worth a follow up with the board member or just leave with climbing representative bods?

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
I had a PM conversation with a board member about access to the flake on the left of the cave a few years ago but was never followed up. I know the caves custodian reasonably well and access to the left of the wall could have been arranged.

Strange but true story when we wanted to film in the cave in 92 the Duchy of Lancaster wanted a hefty 10K for the privilege......
Yes that was me. Unfortunately I think our conversation was in January when the cave would have been wet and I forgot to follow it up later in the year. Is this still something worth me pursuing? I have emailled the contact address on the tourist website with a request in the past but didn't get a reply.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal