UKBouldering.com

City Bloc Kicks Ass (Read 12746 times)

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#25 Re: City Bloc Kicks Ass
October 21, 2016, 11:48:23 am
Me too - I can usually get a pass one night a week and also fit the "out-of-shape new-ish (though in my case not so new) Dad's" demographic you speak of...

James Malloch

• forum hero
#26 Re: City Bloc Kicks Ass
October 21, 2016, 12:18:01 pm
Does anyone use the circuit board upstairs at city bloc?

I've been on it once or twice but it seems a bit crap compared to the boulder setting. They're very limited by space so it seems a bit cramped setting -wise, pretty bunched up along the bottom.

I'll ask tonight when I'm there with regards to the setting, but I feel it could do with some new circuits that are more flowing and (IMO tweaky) so you can do laps without worrying about falling into the lack of mats etc.  Maybe even make it into a decent traverse wall :worms:

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#27 Re: City Bloc Kicks Ass
October 21, 2016, 01:15:24 pm
I think there's a preview of Dan Turner's new filum - This Is Yorkshire N'All - at the Depot tonight but there doesn't seem to be any info about it online from the Depot's own mouthpiece.

Edit: Soz. It's next Friday, hence no big announcement.  :oops:
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 01:39:21 pm by Will Hunt »

James Malloch

• forum hero
#28 Re: City Bloc Kicks Ass
October 21, 2016, 02:13:32 pm
I think there's a preview of Dan Turner's new filum - This Is Yorkshire N'All - at the Depot tonight but there doesn't seem to be any info about it online from the Depot's own mouthpiece.

Any idea if it's a ticketed thing? Currently free so will try and pop over if it's not oversubscribed.

36chambers

• forum hero
#29 Re: City Bloc Kicks Ass
October 21, 2016, 02:45:54 pm

Any idea if it's a ticketed thing? Currently free so will try and pop over if it's not oversubscribed.

To confirm, the screening will take place next Friday (28th). The depot have only just officially posted about it on their facebook page. I don't think it'll be ticketed, there's no mention of it, but I'm sure they'll post more information about it over the next week. 

boxmonkey

• regular
#30 Re: City Bloc Kicks Ass
November 12, 2016, 08:17:12 am
Did the circuit of the lab, depot and city bloc this week while in Leeds for work. I thought city bloc was more of a climbers wall as someone else said. Best routes I did all week were there. It just a bit small. Didn't think the depot was up to much. Lab much better.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#31 Re: City Bloc Kicks Ass
November 12, 2016, 09:24:41 am
Did the circuit of the lab, depot and city bloc this week while in Leeds for work. I thought city bloc was more of a climbers wall as someone else said. Best routes I did all week were there. It just a bit small. Didn't think the depot was up to much. Lab much better.

Interesting to hear you say that. I think the same about City Bloc, great wall and problems but just a little small.

I love the depot, lots of variety and a great circuit board, woody. Hot chocolate they do it unreal also.

I went to Lab on Thursday and really didn't rate it. Way too much of a dynamic style for my liking and the atmosphere wasn't great. Seemed to have a lot of wasted space also. And what's with having a massive prow and then not using the bloody thing?

However, my biggest annoyance with LAB was the fingerboard. I didn't want to use it at all, but with all the varieties out there why go for what is (IMO) the worst of the wooden variety. Just stick some beastmakers in.  Oh, and the feet for the campus boards were so low I imagine they are pretty useless for anyone who is on the short side.

It seemed like a great space that wasn't being utilised as well as it could be.

boxmonkey

• regular
#32 Re: City Bloc Kicks Ass
November 12, 2016, 02:35:28 pm
They were one off visits to be fair. Didn't like the works first time I went and that really grew on me.

Yeah and I think the prow at the lab and the roof at the back of depot aren't working. Maybe lose the prow and stick seating area up there for cafe and then stick a full scale boulder  where seating and tables are in the middle of the room.

That said city bloc route setting was best.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal