UKBouldering.com

City Bloc Kicks Ass (Read 12745 times)

Three Nine

• forum hero
City Bloc Kicks Ass
August 02, 2011, 03:14:34 pm
The other day I was at Longridge and was discussing the relative merits of various climbing walls with some dude I met there. We got on to CityBloc and he said it was really struggling atm.

Although its always been quiet when i've been (which is great!), I was astonished to hear this, as its without question the best climbing wall i've ever been to.

The problem-setting and use of space is just better than anywhere i've been, and the quality of problem-setting does not appear to be limited to higher(or lower) grade problems (insofar as I can tell - being a punter).

What is more, it is right off the motorway at leeds. The other day we timed the journey as 40mins door to door from Crookes in Sheffield.

Here is a nice vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEDjxIBKQ18&feature=player_embedded#at=51

tomtom

• forum hero
#1 Re: City Bloc Kicks Ass
August 02, 2011, 03:45:22 pm
You're not alone in thinking that City bloc has great problems. I've always enjoyed the set there...

But it just doesnt seem to have the vibe or atmosphere that the Depot has.. maybe its because the social part of the wall (cafe/till area) is quite separate from the rest of it.. In winter-time I/we tend to go the extra 15-20 min to the Depot because sometimes it just seems more... I dont know, funs the wrong word, just kind of better somehow..

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#2 Re: City Bloc Kicks Ass
August 02, 2011, 04:04:22 pm
Interesting - was evaluating the relative merits of the two the other day.

Think they've both got good and bad points.

I personally slightly prefer the styles of problem at City Bloc (since Olly left the Depot there does tend to be a bit of "lank and crimp" about some of the problems), there's some really interesting moves in the current set.

Think CB have used their space really well - there's a great range of angles and surfaces. As far as the Depot's concerned I'm not sure that the huge roof at the back has really worked out - I've been on it a bit, but rarely see it being used extensively. Maybe a Works-style comp wall would be a better replacement?

However, I find the "vibe" T2 refers to better at the Depot, maybe it's the fact that the staff are in the same space as climbers, maybe it's the layout of the building, the music (some of the more 'experimental' Radiohead tracks at CB last week vs. 'Eye Of The Tiger' and Stevie Wonder at Depot - no contest!), I don't know.

One thing CB could work straight away though on is the amount of chalk / grey dust that builds up in there.

I don't know what causes it - I know they haven't carpeted their mats, don't know if this makes a difference. This one thing really puts me off going there.

Also, I don't know if this contributes but it seems to have the result that the holds get filthy / polished a lot more than The Depot's, again I find this pretty off-putting. Whether they use the same grip wash as the Works / Depot seem to use I don't know, maybe that'd help.

Having been to both last week while it was warm and muggy I can confirm that they both suffer really badly with ventilation...maybe they could club together for a discount on a bulk order of Works-esque mega-fans?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 04:09:32 pm by tommytwotone »

yorkshireman

• obsessive maniac
  • dont knock the rock if you're shaky at the grade
#3 Re: City Bloc Kicks Ass
August 02, 2011, 07:24:20 pm
being a user of both wall i share plenty of the sentiments shared by other posters,mainly the dustyness of holds and the lack of a social layout but on the latter,there is nothing really that can be done to change this at citybloc.i tent to use the depot for training and steep thuggy climbing and the bloc for technical off vertical climbing.

to the op-what do you class as struggling?to stay open?just lower than normal numbers?

andy_e

• forum hero
#4 Re: City Bloc Kicks Ass
August 02, 2011, 08:24:35 pm
CityBloc's problems are excellently set, they're not at all samey and dull and they make good use of wall space and volumes. The depot is always (inexplicably) busy and I never enjoy the climbing there. The problems at CityBloc are actually similar to climbing outside. The shapes and variety of walls on offer at CityBloc is much broader and more entertaining. It's also cheaper than the Depot and close to good transport links.

Three Nine

• forum hero
#5 Re: City Bloc Kicks Ass
August 02, 2011, 09:02:01 pm
right on

andy_e

• forum hero
#6 Re: City Bloc Kicks Ass
August 02, 2011, 09:34:27 pm
Plus everybody at the depot seems to be really cliquey.

willackers

• junky
    • Vimeo
#7 Re: City Bloc Kicks Ass
August 02, 2011, 09:41:29 pm
Having worked all over the country having to stay away I have been to most of the new bouldering walls in the UK and the setting at CityBloc is definitely the best I have come across. Having just moved to Leeds I'm quite pleased that this is the nearest wall to my new house, it might not have the same atmosphere as some of the other bouldering walls but the problems are ace, lots of variety and something for everyone and I think that's all that matters, you go to a climbing wall to climb.

saltbeef

• forum hero
#8 Re: City Bloc Kicks Ass
August 02, 2011, 09:53:01 pm
agreed, citybloc setting is the best  :punk:

account_inactive

• forum hero
#9 Re: City Bloc Kicks Ass
August 02, 2011, 10:38:26 pm
 :oops:
agreed, citybloc setting is the best  :punk:
Best wall eva. That Martin bloke is a bit dodge though

Nigel Poustie

• regular
#10 Re: City Bloc Kicks Ass
August 02, 2011, 10:48:26 pm
I totally agree with Willackers, CityBloc is a "climbers climbing wall." It seems to me the Depot is more interested in getting new climbers through the door, than servicing the ones that already exists.
Plus Ben is easily the most experienced route setter in Leeds and very good at it!

andy_e

• forum hero
#11 Re: City Bloc Kicks Ass
August 02, 2011, 11:31:52 pm
That Martin bloke is a bit dodge though

:lol:

CityBloc is a "climbers climbing wall." It seems to me the Depot is more interested in getting new climbers through the door, than servicing the ones that already exists.

Whilst that's not a bad thing for the sport (or is it? But that's a different debate...) it's a very valid point, and CityBloc caters for new climbers as well as the more experienced! Even the easier problems are well thought out.

yorkshireman

• obsessive maniac
  • dont knock the rock if you're shaky at the grade
#12 Re: City Bloc Kicks Ass
August 02, 2011, 11:44:15 pm
so why is it it struggling then? :-\

Footwork

• forum abuser
  • Living With Wads
    • Living With Wads
#13 Re: City Bloc Kicks Ass
August 03, 2011, 03:54:29 am
I tend not to go to indoor walls. Prefer Henry Price if it's raining/ late or need to clear my head. It's also the closest to my house. Been to the Depot a few times with the Leeds uni lot and it's always been a laugh, but just that. I don't think I could ever train there, too many people. The rare times I've bouldered at the Leeds wall I've just found it to be soul sucking and thats no good.

Never been to City Block and now I think I will! I should probably have checked it out earlier as some friends have been and say the problems are awesome.

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#14 Re: City Bloc Kicks Ass
August 03, 2011, 07:20:28 am
I have been to both walls quite a bit and I prefer the setting at citybloc is much more to my taste. It seems more techincal and clever.
I love the depot as its a good venue but I find alot of the problems seem quite thuggy so get a good spanking which is not always a bad thing.

Out of the two I prefer citybloc but my mates prefer depot so I normally end up there out of those two sadly.
But saying that I have stopped going to both of them recently as Rokt has opened and is much closer to my work/house. I don't know if thats effected them?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#15 Re: City Bloc Kicks Ass
August 03, 2011, 08:25:40 am
Maybe. Not exactly a shortage of climbing walls in the area.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#16 Re: City Bloc Kicks Ass
August 03, 2011, 08:30:27 am
Someone say City Woc?

andy_e

• forum hero
#17 Re: City Bloc Kicks Ass
August 03, 2011, 09:47:39 am
Damn Mongorians! Knock down my shitty wall!

willackers

• junky
    • Vimeo
#18 Re: City Bloc Kicks Ass
August 03, 2011, 03:43:07 pm
All these new Walls are amazing and they all have their good and bad points but nobody in a million years will ever create anything nearly as good as the steep section of The Foundry's Wave. FACT!

Durbs

• forum hero
#19 Re: City Bloc Kicks Ass
October 20, 2016, 04:49:47 pm
Zombie post!

Heading to Leeds next week with work, and got a mate "down the road" from S'cunthorpe meeting me for a climb... He's driving so distance isn't really an issue - is CityBloc the wall of choice for the discerning Leeds climber?
We're both out-of-shape new-ish Dad's, so looking for fun and challenges rather than serious training/spankings.

Just wondering if things have changed since 2011...

Catcheemonkey

• addict
#20 Re: City Bloc Kicks Ass
October 20, 2016, 05:27:35 pm
I've been to the 3 Leeds bouldering walls in the last week ('Bloc, Depot and The Climbing Lab).

I'd say the Depot sets up to V5 are the best at the moment, but it's crazy rammed most evenings - so I'm increasingly favouring the Lab.

tomtom

• forum hero
#21 Re: City Bloc Kicks Ass
October 20, 2016, 05:30:13 pm
If you're pal is coming from Scunny then City Bloc will be the right side of town for him to get to... probably save 20-30 min of travel if it's before 7pm...

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
#22 Re: City Bloc Kicks Ass
October 20, 2016, 06:24:41 pm
Exactly what these fine gents said. You can't go wrong with any of them for one evening hit. I wouldn't have recommended the lab earlier in the year but I'm very impressed with the whole experience of visiting now.

Durbs

• forum hero
#23 Re: City Bloc Kicks Ass
October 21, 2016, 11:11:24 am
Cheers for the feedback. I might try and squeeze in two trips as it's pretty near my hotel too.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#24 Re: City Bloc Kicks Ass
October 21, 2016, 11:20:29 am
I live 5 mins away so give me a shout if you want someone to climb with any of the nights.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal