UKBouldering.com

Chid-friendly Peak grit? (Read 3529 times)

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Chid-friendly Peak grit?
August 02, 2011, 05:48:10 am
I will be visiting family in .uk with my son in a month or so, said famly being in Leicester and Manchester. Between Leicester and Manchester is the Peak, so there should be a chance to try to snap up a few boulders en route. Where would be a good venue for an eight year old to amuse himself and hopefully have some chance of getting up stuff while I also try to get a problem or two in? From my dim & distant memories Burbage South would definitely make the shortlist for small boulders, easy access and good landings. Anywhere else?

I'm aware that The Grit is unlikely to have been Called in early September, but I'd stll prefer it to lime for a one-off visit, plus lime is likely to be less chld-friendly (?)

Also, is there anywhere I can get Peak beta online - I don't fancy shelling out money for a guidebook just in the hope of getting two or three problems in between child minding.

tomtom

• forum hero

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#3 Re: Chid-friendly Peak grit?
August 02, 2011, 10:08:47 am
Not sure about discounting the lime as non-child friendly...

From what I've seen Rubicon is good for kids - flat, short walk in, plenty of room to run around, no perilous drops and there's even a load of ducks and swans for them to look at.

That said if it's your only bouldering outing in the UK I'd get on the grit every time - Plantation would be worth considering, Cratcliffe / Robin Hood's Stride as well if you fancy the drive over that way.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#4 Re: Chid-friendly Peak grit?
August 02, 2011, 10:13:36 am
I take the 2 yr old to Rubicon and we have a great time and buy an ice cream on the way back

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#5 Re: Chid-friendly Peak grit?
August 02, 2011, 10:22:00 am

That said if it's your only bouldering outing in the UK I'd get on the grit every time - Plantation would be worth considering, Cratcliffe / Robin Hood's Stride as well if you fancy the drive over that way.

Agree, go for grit. Roaches would be a fairly good option too, depending on what route from Leicester to Manchester you intend taking.

Big Dave

• menacing presence
#6 Re: Chid-friendly Peak grit?
August 02, 2011, 10:26:06 am
Another vote for Rubicon or Burbage South if you want grit.

Wipey Why

• forum hero
#7 Re: Chid-friendly Peak grit?
August 02, 2011, 10:32:53 am
Another vote for the Roaches

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#8 Re: Chid-friendly Peak grit?
August 03, 2011, 12:16:53 pm
The calling of the grit doesn't apply to easy routes or to some 'proper' climbers (check the hard ascents sometimes done in the summer). There is plenty on our website that may help you:

http://offwidth.uptosummit.com/guides.html

Burbage South Boulders, Chatsworth/Robin Hood Stride, Over Owler Tor, Higgar area, Roaches, Stanage far right all have great kids stuff.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal