UKBouldering.com

yorkshire grit chipping (Read 29458 times)

yorkshireman

• obsessive maniac
  • dont knock the rock if you're shaky at the grade
yorkshire grit chipping
July 21, 2011, 08:18:36 pm
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-14224391

i was made aware of this by the leeds wall facebook page and have emailed simon armitage's management and asked them to contact the bmc with regard to where they decide to chisel.anyone else has anything to add or any information on locations that have already been done please add to the thread

cheers

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#1 Re: yorkshire grit chipping
July 22, 2011, 08:20:27 am
 :o The hubris is breathtaking.

benpritch

• forum abuser
#2 Re: yorkshire grit chipping
July 22, 2011, 08:30:30 am
i think this is a very retrograde and ill judged project. i am writing to his management to express my objection to it and i think anyone else who values the moors in their natural state should do so to.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 08:48:13 am by benpritch »

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#3 Re: yorkshire grit chipping
July 22, 2011, 08:32:22 am
with some of the work taking place on location.

Just intrigued about what other choices are available?

dave

#4 Re: yorkshire grit chipping
July 22, 2011, 08:51:42 am
Sounds like an egotistical "look at me" project with no thought or consideration for the consequences. Fucking poets.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#5 Re: yorkshire grit chipping
July 22, 2011, 08:54:35 am
with some of the work taking place on location.

Just intrigued about what other choices are available?

You know like them millstone stonemasons used to do. Roll a boulder home (early working from home initiative), carve the millstone and then roll it back for walkers to hunt out. The "Definitive Guide to Millstones" will be available from Vertebrate Graphics this Autumn. Getting ticking.

It does seem a little short sighted to carve into the rock. Surely if you wanted to do this there plenty of easier and less destructive ways. Something discreet for example carve into an existing stone(s) in a dry stone wall and place it vertically.

kilgore1080

• player
  • Hashi Tensai!
#6 Re: yorkshire grit chipping
July 22, 2011, 09:03:38 am
Sounds like an egotistical "look at me" project with no thought or consideration for the consequences. Fucking poets.
:agree: :badidea:

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#7 Re: yorkshire grit chipping
July 22, 2011, 10:01:17 am
Wonder if the BMC are aware of this?

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#8 Re: yorkshire grit chipping
July 22, 2011, 10:04:41 am
Wonder if the BMC are aware of this?
I have fired an e-mail of to Martin Kocsis this morning. I believe this under Rick Gibbons area but not sure. The land is owned by the National trust so I assume they will have requested permission off of them?

I can't see the video at work is it clear what wall they have done this on?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#9 Re: yorkshire grit chipping
July 22, 2011, 10:39:27 am
Yeah that's Rick's area - who knows about the rest though. I don't have any issue with this per se, as long as it is done only in suitable spots. To that end they definitely need to consult before carving.

csurfleet

• menacing presence
#10 Re: yorkshire grit chipping
July 22, 2011, 10:47:12 am
Nice one Flukas, let us know what he says. I might pop up on Sunday if we don't end up in Gogarth and take some pics.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#11 Re: yorkshire grit chipping
July 22, 2011, 10:52:24 am
You lot are a bunch of fucking hippies. Some of us like poetry and the fact that I wont have to carry my poetry book to the crag in order to read some makes it more convenient for me, so I think it's good and you're all wrong.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#12 Re: yorkshire grit chipping
July 22, 2011, 11:06:06 am
Except his stuff looks to be a load of pretentious wank. But maybe that's just up your street :)

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#13 Re: yorkshire grit chipping
July 22, 2011, 11:09:09 am
You'd have to be pretty confident in the merit of your work to want to have it carved in stone.

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
#14 Re: yorkshire grit chipping
July 22, 2011, 11:11:09 am
You lot are a bunch of fucking hippies. Some of us like poetry and the fact that I wont have to carry my poetry book to the crag in order to read some makes it more convenient for me, so I think it's good and you're all wrong.

Word.
I think this could only be enhanced by a couple of in-situ quickdraws at each end of the prose acting as quotation marks.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#15 Re: yorkshire grit chipping
July 22, 2011, 11:11:55 am
A little more objectively, I think any hubris here is being shown by climbers, who have already chipped fuck out of yorkshire's crags whether intentionally (Ilkley, Caley etc) or not (Bridestones), or leave more obvious graffiti in the form of chalk, 'temporary' though it may be.

Or you could imagine a situation where a bunch of landscape poets are presented with a climber's proposal to place over a thousand metal eyebolts into national treasure Malham Cove - just to make things a bit safer for themselves. Fair enough?

Edit: just had confirmation that the BMC's rep for the area was aware of the first one. Not sure if this extended to a consulation but watching that vid it seems placed on a spot not valuable to climbers - perhaps no coincidence. Will update if I get more info.

battery

• obsessive maniac
#16 Re: yorkshire grit chipping
July 22, 2011, 11:31:00 am
It's not just about whether or not it will have any impact on the climbing.

There is a horrid irony to this, creativity inspired by beautiful natural landscape, being permanently placed in the landscape, defacing it and ruining the natural beauty!

National Trust have given permission, I've written an email asking them to rethink:

enquiries@thenationaltrust.org.uk

The project is also part of the Ilkley Literature Festival who can be contacted here:

development@ilkleyliteraturefestival.org.uk

SA Chris

• forum hero
#17 Re: yorkshire grit chipping
July 22, 2011, 11:38:04 am

Word.
I think this could only be enhanced by a couple of in-situ quickdraws at each end of the prose acting as quotation marks.

And underline some words in chalk in case they have a hidden meaning or are difficult to grasp.

webbo

• forum hero
#18 Re: yorkshire grit chipping
July 22, 2011, 12:04:33 pm
Instead of employing a stone mason to chisel it all neat like.Could they not get someone on here to use their drill to chisel the words and if they did them a bit random we could have some new problems.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#19 Re: yorkshire grit chipping
July 22, 2011, 12:06:55 pm
Instead of employing a stone mason to chisel it all neat like.Could they not get someone on here to use their drill to chisel the words and if they did them a bit random we could have some new problems.

Sounds like a job for Medwards.

Somebody's Fool

• forum hero
#20 Re: yorkshire grit chipping
July 22, 2011, 12:18:36 pm
Someone should carve a limerick into his drive. See how he likes it.

JamieG

• forum hero
#21 Re: yorkshire grit chipping
July 22, 2011, 12:34:37 pm
It's not just about whether or not it will have any impact on the climbing.

There is a horrid irony to this, creativity inspired by beautiful natural landscape, being permanently placed in the landscape, defacing it and ruining the natural beauty!

National Trust have given permission, I've written an email asking them to rethink:

enquiries@thenationaltrust.org.uk

The project is also part of the Ilkley Literature Festival who can be contacted here:

development@ilkleyliteraturefestival.org.uk

I'm not sure any of the scenery in Yorkshire can really be called natural. It has been extensively farmed, quarried and managed for hundreds of years. I agree it is a rural landscape but not really anymore natural than typical farmland. In fact, I feel a lot of the appeal of places like Yorkshire is the interaction between man and the environment. The old mill towns in the bottom of the valley's are just as interesting as the rugged sheep grazed moors on top. I think just trying to maintain the status quo and not allowing any new ideas and projects to be put forward is sometimes a bit short-sighted. I do agree, however, that any projects need to be carefully considered. But possibly try to avoid the knee-jerk reaction of let's just keep everything the same. I, for one, wouldn't mind coming across the occasional well thought out arty installation.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#22 Re: yorkshire grit chipping
July 22, 2011, 12:51:22 pm
is there a danger that people seeing the nicely carved rocks will attempt carvings of their own?

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#23 Re: yorkshire grit chipping
July 22, 2011, 12:58:07 pm
suprised there are many rocks left to carve in yorkshire

metal arms

• menacing presence
#24 Re: yorkshire grit chipping
July 22, 2011, 01:07:11 pm
Someone should carve a limerick into his drive. See how he likes it.

There once was a poet from Marsden
Who wanted a stone to carve words on
His poems were shit
They ruined the grit
So he can fuck off

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal