UKBouldering.com

Woke up this morning . . . my baby was gone . . . (Read 13561 times)

JamieG

• forum hero
Seeing as the Jah Rastafari thread has been generating quite a bit of attention. I thought the forum needed a thread for the music which is at the roots of almost ever single popular style currently on the go!

DISCUSS!

Here are few of my favourites.

:bow:

205Chris

• forum hero
Remember kids "The blues isn't about feeling better. It's about making other people feel WORSE"

fried

• forum hero

Another one of my all time top ten favourite songs of all time.

JamieG

• forum hero
Top work on Son House. Absolutely boss!

Here is a quote from R. L. Burnside after he was committed of murdering a man at a Dice game.

"I didn't mean to kill nobody ... I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord."

As rough as a badger's bum! I think you have to live to blues to play the blues.

205Chris

• forum hero

Here is a quote from R. L. Burnside after he was committed of murdering a man at a Dice game.

"I didn't mean to kill nobody ... I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord."

As rough as a badger's bum! I think you have to live to blues to play the blues.

I'd agree with that. I think it's great that there are people like Seasick Steve around keeping the blues vibe alive in this day and age.

JamieG

• forum hero
I agree with you about Seasick Steve. It is good to see the blues still going strong.

Here is old timer with another absolute tune!

Sam

• addict
3 of my favourites

the Legend

the Genius

the Captain

fried

• forum hero

Some African blues

chris20

• menacing presence
The post of Blind Willie Mctell give me an excues to post probably my favourite Bob Dylan track of all time about Blind Willie Mctell

http://www.wat.tv/video/bob-dylan-blind-willie-mctell-1q85w_2gh7d_.html#

JamieG

• forum hero
Thanks everyone for posting your top hits. Especially like the African blues. It had a really good vibe. Also it goes without saying that Dylan is totally amazing and it is a shame he has never more than dabbled in the blues. Because when he does he produces absolute gems.

Here is an amazing Dylan song covered on the compilation album 'Dark was the Night'. A really good album with a good cause. Named after the famous Blind Willie Johnson song. Original version of the song is brilliant too, but can't find it online.

On another tack and not strictly blues. Gil Scott-Heron's final album is a work of complete genius. Check out this highlight.

And keep the top hits coming!

JonI

• regular
Some amazing guitar playing on this one...

fried

• forum hero
Loved the Son House, and the Gil Scott Heron song was so good the missus just walked in with the new album :hug:

205Chris

• forum hero
Really like this from one of Beck's earlier albums

JamieG

• forum hero
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00jp7nm/Folk_America_at_the_Barbican_Seasick_Steve/

Seasick steve playing some top blues on the iPlayer. Well worth a watch.

climbingjoe1984

• regular
Found this, he has some serious skill

check out the solo from about 3 mins

JamieG

• forum hero
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16662606

Which side of the mountain are you on?

JamieG

• forum hero

Good documentary on youtube about the blues.

JamieG

• forum hero
Currently a very good programme on the iplayer called 'Blues America'. Well worth a watch.

Evil

• addict
Love this kind of stuff. My dad was really into blues, and it's stuck with me too.

Also Taj Mahal, but can't forget this one

Can't find a video of it, but I love this Steve Philips guitar piece - 125 Express

Great cover of Station Blues

I've got time for Ian Siegal, although I'm not usually convinced by English people trying to sound American. Here he is covering a classic seemingly with a broken foot.

One of his own (not sure what the video is about):

There are some great fun videos of live gigs, I must try and get to see him
Ian Siegal doing Nick Lowe's All Men are Liars followed by Bryan Adams in the style of Johnny Cash... :shrug:

I know he's already been mentioned but but R.L. Burnside!

The Black Keys do everything from Traditional Blues to Hip Hop really well.

Saw Seasick Steve in Dublin a few years back, really great atmosphere. He's such a natural storyteller/performer.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
I like a bit of Josh White

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop

thats an amazing anecdote!

i've got an album he did with the jon spencer blues explosion which is really good. not listened to it for a while. i should dig it out.

JamieG

• forum hero
Interestingly the black keys are on the same record label, Fat Possum that went back and rediscovered all the Mississippi hill country blues singers most famously R.L.Burnside.

Good article about Fat Possum http://www.theguardian.com/music/2003/nov/16/popandrock2

I love that other track Hard time killing floor you linked. Amazing.

Evil

• addict
Cool. Actually they seemed to be playing some blues at the climbing wall last night. It wasn't on very loudly, and I don't really concentrate on music when climbing, so not sure exactly what it was though.

JamieG

• forum hero
For all those that like their southern american music, be it blues, jazz, country etc. Reginald D Hunter has done a very nice mini series for the BBC. Highly recommend.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02j93lq

Enjoy. I did!

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
Forgot about this thread - saw Tim Holehouse the other night at Stragglers Corner in Sheffield doing solo blues with a stomp box. Really good blues to say the least and worth checking out IMO.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal