UKBouldering.com

Malham Access Warning (Read 19467 times)

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
Malham Access Warning
June 14, 2011, 10:31:47 am
I posted this on the other channel also, but here it is for those that don't frequent it.

The guy that lives next to the cove centre in Malham village spoke to us the other day. He voiced his concerns over people STILL, after numerous warnings already, urinating in the Cove centre car park. (This includes one women as well!) Do people not have any respect? His wife has been subject to this on various occasions as the house overlooks the car park.

If people want to get climbing at Malham banned, then this is the right way to start going about it. He has influence on the parish, which in turn effects the allowed climbing at Malham.

Now not everyone reads the internet forums, but if you could all spread the word.

Thanks.

namnok

• forum abuser
  • John May Lives
#1 Re: Malham Access Warning
June 14, 2011, 11:43:28 am
perhaps someone should stick a sign up at the carpark entrance? a polite notice etc

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#2 Re: Malham Access Warning
June 14, 2011, 11:48:31 am
perhaps someone should stick a sign up at the carpark entrance? a polite notice etc

It should go without saying really....

namnok

• forum abuser
  • John May Lives
#3 Re: Malham Access Warning
June 14, 2011, 11:50:20 am

It should go without saying really....

yes but obviously people are still doing it cos they dont know how bad the situtaion may get

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#4 Re: Malham Access Warning
June 14, 2011, 11:55:21 am
Are there toilets that are a) nearby; b) open at the time when people are likely to wake up and need that morning release?

Marky

• player
#5 Re: Malham Access Warning
June 14, 2011, 12:52:25 pm
Are there toilets that are a) nearby; b) open at the time when people are likely to wake up and need that morning release?
Yes and yes - 2 minute walk down the road! :wall:

Teaboy

• forum hero
#6 Re: Malham Access Warning
June 14, 2011, 12:54:30 pm
The toilets are no more than 150 meters from the car park, I've never known them to be shut but I never get there before midday. There are also some other toilets at the other end of the village. There really is no excuse or mitigation however you look at it. There's no sign telling me not to have a piss in the fruit and veg aisle at Tesco, there shouldn't need to be one here.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#7 Re: Malham Access Warning
June 14, 2011, 12:55:53 pm
Interesting, only been to Malham once and did indeed stop in the car-park, but don't recall any signs pointing to those toilets (personally I crossed my legs until up on the wings of the crag)

The twats who crashed into the P&D machine late that night probably caused more of a disturbance than anyone dossing there "Oh no Martin, what have you done"  :wank: :lol:).

SteG

• addict
  • crimp
    • TheSend-Topo Apps
#8 Re: Malham Access Warning
June 14, 2011, 12:57:11 pm
There really is no excuse or mitigation however you look at it. There's no sign telling me not to have a piss in the fruit and veg aisle at Tesco, there shouldn't need to be one here.

spot on

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#9 Re: Malham Access Warning
June 14, 2011, 01:14:23 pm
The toilets are no more than 150 meters from the car park, I've never known them to be shut but I never get there before midday. There are also some other toilets at the other end of the village. There really is no excuse or mitigation however you look at it. There's no sign telling me not to have a piss in the fruit and veg aisle at Tesco, there shouldn't need to be one here.

:agree: but why are you shopping in Tescos?

(And most supermarkets do have their toilets sign-posted so that people know where they are)

Paul B

• forum hero
#10 Re: Malham Access Warning
June 14, 2011, 06:21:45 pm
There really is no excuse or mitigation however you look at it. There's no sign telling me not to have a piss in the fruit and veg aisle at Tesco, there shouldn't need to be one here.

spot on

I popped over to Chee Tor the other night and someone had left a load of used paper in one of the foliage clearings specifically cleared for the start of a route! Now, as its clearly a climber on that side of the river I thought this was pretty poor to leave that kind of mess especially directly underneath a route! Plus I'm confident it was a lady (use your imagination).

chummer

• forum abuser
#11 Re: Malham Access Warning
June 14, 2011, 07:19:51 pm
Plus I'm confident it was a lady (use your imagination)./quote]

Pink toilet paper?

chummer

• forum abuser
#12 Re: Malham Access Warning
June 14, 2011, 07:41:08 pm
yer I know, what a dick........I nearly puntered myself for that one

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#13 Re: Malham Access Warning
June 16, 2011, 10:01:09 am
Nice one Adam, or posting this (i posted something similar a couple of weeks ago as well).

i disagree, it is not an official car park anyway. I have had friendly conversations with this farmer in the past, and he seemed happy about the situation - it is a shame that some people fail to realise that it is not cool to piss in someone's back yard. I recall some people dossing in this car park as well; this should also be (very obviously) stopped if anyone still thinks this might be a good idea - vans or no vans.

kingholmesy

• forum abuser
#14 Re: Malham Access Warning
June 23, 2011, 05:42:08 pm
Is it OK to park here so long as you behave yourself?

If not, where is the best/nearest (free) place to park?

SteG

• addict
  • crimp
    • TheSend-Topo Apps
#15 Re: Malham Access Warning
June 23, 2011, 06:16:33 pm
If not, where is the best/nearest (free) place to park?

you can park along the road opposite the pub if you arrive early enough, or further out of the village along the road for later arrivals. It gets busy with walkers too though so gets full quite early and you're left with the pay and display.

wolfgang

• regular
#16 Re: Malham Access Warning
July 03, 2011, 11:46:51 pm
Whenever iv done it iv made sure i did it right against my own car. They cant get you that way.

clgladiator

• menacing presence
  • a deceptively
    • Climbing Photography
#17 Re: Malham Access Warning
July 04, 2011, 11:30:22 am
Whenever iv done it iv made sure i did it right against my own car. They cant get you that way.

puntered

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#18 Re: Malham Access Warning
July 04, 2011, 02:11:05 pm

get you for what?

nik at work

• forum hero
#19 Re: Malham Access Warning
July 04, 2011, 02:24:58 pm
Is this some kind of joke that I don't get or are you an idiot?
The point isn't that you can or can't have a piss on your car tyre (although I imagine that's some stupid urban myth anyway) but rather about showing respect to other people and the general publics perception of climbers. I can't imagine that the residents of Malham, or indeed anywhere else, want to welcome with open arms a group of people that merrily piss and shit everywhere without showing the slightest concern for other people.
 "Please go to the toilet before coming to Malham rather than pissing outside my house" is hardly the most demanding of conditions of access is it?
If I have misunderstood the humour of your post then I alopogise, but if not then it's one of the most ignorant and stupid things I've read on here for a while.

Three Nine

• forum hero
#20 Re: Malham Access Warning
July 04, 2011, 03:10:12 pm
I have pissed there before, but then I got a bollocking from Shark so I haven't done since. Whether or not you think a sign ought to be necessary, it clearly is. Its all very well being sanctimonious on here, but the fact is a lot of climbers tend to piss and shit in all sorts of inappropriate places. This may be very reprehensible, but if there is a specific problem here a sign and/or bollockings might be the way?

joeisidle

• addict
#21 Re: Malham Access Warning
July 04, 2011, 03:34:01 pm
Completely agree with Three Nine; it doesn't matter whether or not it's right that a sign might be required, the important thing is that it clearly is required

Teaboy

• forum hero
#22 Re: Malham Access Warning
July 04, 2011, 03:45:59 pm
The problem is that the residents of Malham don't particularly like climbers and so we are tolerated as long as we keep as low a profile as possible. Putting up a sign would be tangible evidence that, as a group, we would rather piss on your doorstep, than walk 150 meters to a public convenience. Similarly, the car park is not a climbers car park and putting up signs directed at climbers would suggest we climbers feel a certain entitlement to it that might get up the local residents' noses.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#23 Re: Malham Access Warning
July 04, 2011, 03:51:53 pm
The problem is that the residents of Malham don't particularly like climbers and so we are tolerated as long as we keep as low a profile as possible. Putting up a sign would be tangible evidence that, as a group, we would rather piss on your doorstep, than walk 150 meters to a public convenience. Similarly, the car park is not a climbers car park and putting up signs directed at climbers would suggest we climbers feel a certain entitlement to it that might get up the local residents' noses.

Why? Is the sign going to read...

Climbers must not piss in this car park

Perhaps a sign along the lines of

Toilets are located for your convenience at 2 minutes down the road*

* Sorry don't actually know where this is.

Teaboy

• forum hero
#24 Re: Malham Access Warning
July 04, 2011, 04:01:46 pm
OK, slack-line you know best. Next time you're there put a sign up if you think it'll help, I was only giving my opinion.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal