UKBouldering.com

annual feedback request/ direness survey (Read 42631 times)

chris_j_s

• menacing presence
I find it difficult to answer the poll because some elements are just right and a few are too dire for me!

I'm afraid the cartoons were a bit too dire for me so I'm glad they're off the front page!

As far as a FB page is concerned I can't see a problem with using it to pull in a few more visitors but I don't see me hitting that page in preference to looking at the board itself.

I don't think full blown articles or news pieces are the way to go because it lacks the immediacy of, say, the significant repeats thread. Look at how long it took the other channel to put out news of Lucinda doing Austrian Oak which was reported here long before. I can understand that if it's a glossy article with pics/vids/interviews but often with the borg you wait ages and it still doesn't contain much (the example above being a case in point)!

As Nai has briefly mentioned, I think there is a gap for blog style updates containing a little more info (but not so much that it takes forever to collate) on significant repeats/FA's etc., along the lines of what Bjorn's blog used to be before it got swallowed up. The key thing for me would be the speed at which you could get updates out as I'm an impatient bugger and I want to read about it as soon as news breaks!!!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Steady on, Slackers. Was just checking the thing worked ...

It did (and I RT'd  :-*)

Ruraltim

As a newbie, both to ukb and climbing/bouldering in general (when do yo stop saying that you're new to climbing?) http://ukbouldering.com/board/Smileys/ukbCustom/hmmm.gif
I find ukb to be both informative and funny, some of you guys are seriously screwed! No..... I mean screwed!!
As a FB and twitter user I would say the forum style would be better suited to twitter - FB is okay for getting general stuff about what's going on around the world. UKc as previously mentioned is more news and the forums generally suck with idiots trying to get one over each other and having a go at anyone who sticks their head above the parapet!!
What I like is the 'community' vibe - for the most part it's all good natured and helpful! http://ukbouldering.com/board/Smileys/ukbCustom/canOfWorms.png For my part getting regular tweets of new forum posts (possibly with hash string subjects would get me to log in more often! This is why I'm here now! You can then view forums via twitter on mobiles/ iphones etc.
Apologies for ramble...!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Good point re Twitter.

Not sure what you've done to the smileys there but you just have to click on them for them to appear in your post.

:-\  :)

Ruraltim

Good point re Twitter.

Not sure what you've done to the smileys there but you just have to click on them for them to appear in your post.

:-\  :)

Told you I was a newbie  :oops:

fried

• forum hero
it's all good natured and helpful!

Not when Slackers gets hold of you it won't be!

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
I like it as it is. If some people find it too complicated then maybe that's more their problem than the forum's.

Like most people I come here because UKC's forums depress and frustrate me so I don't want this one to go the same way.

Agreed about the cartoons. There are only about five things someone with their arms in the air can be doing and we've seen all the permutations now.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
it's all good natured and helpful!

Not when Slackers gets hold of you it won't be!

:-* :hug:

RAK Punter

• Trusted Users
  • regular
Apologies for interrupting the UKB holiday planner; I experience frequent difficulties logging on due to some UKB IP screening software that has determined that the IP address my provider has allocated is also involved in the internet equivalent of the great training robbery; or maybe it has just determined my occasional posts are not dire enough?  It is dull and boring to only get UKB access a couple of times a month – although good for meaningful productivity.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

The blacklists are controlled by a 3rd parties so there's little we can do to stop this. It seems a lot of the mobile phone company IPs are blocked. If you're getting the screens that ask you to do a sum to prove you're human then we can add you to a list that bypasses this but if it's something else there's little we can do.

RAK Punter

• Trusted Users
  • regular

The blacklists are controlled by a 3rd parties so there's little we can do to stop this. It seems a lot of the mobile phone company IPs are blocked. If you're getting the screens that ask you to do a sum to prove you're human then we can add you to a list that bypasses this but if it's something else there's little we can do.

Getting the Prove you are human page is almost a YYFY event.  Most of the time it is some blurb about the IP address being associated with spam and email the third party to get it delisted; this will work for a visit or two and then it is normal service resumed - where normal service is go and see the third party for IP de-listing.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 12:09:36 pm by RAK Punter »

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
I guess the problem is your Emirati ISP - somebody has been naughty on it in the past - any way you can use a proxy?

some_fat_punter

I'm a rare visitor, but I may as well have input.

The cartoons do nothing for me - I think of them as a bit juvenile.   

I'm not sure why but none of the vimeo stuff works for me unless I go to the vimeo site.   This on a macbook/firefox - this isn't a ukb issue because I get the same elsewhere, don't know how many people this impacts.

My question would be what is ukb trying to do?   If you want to grow then you need to look not just at the existing heavy users, but the minor users and the lurkers and those who don't bother.    Is it that the site as is puts them off or is it that the 'Borg' is easier/more convenient?

If someone isn't part of the 'scene' what does ukb give them?    You can complain all you like about beginner articles etc elsewhere, but they draw people in - look at all the camera magazines/websites - same beginner stuff all the time but it gets them an audience.

Where is the coherent vision?

Also where is the 'dons hard hat' smiley?

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki

Are you not aware of our ethos?
'To be Ugly, juvenile and offensive, but above all - dire at every level'.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
No problems for me. I never use the front page.  Can't think of any real issues.

some_fat_punter

Are you not aware of our ethos?
'To be Ugly, juvenile and offensive, but above all - dire at every level'.

But only while bare-chested and wearing a beanie?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
A news editor to sort the wheat from the chaff?

I was also thinking that tagging threads (and the resultant tag cloud that could be generated) might provide an easier way for people to search for content within the site.  Obviously I wouldn't advocate retrospectively tagging threads (bar a few very popular ones) but using it prospectively (although that in turn depends on user participation to tag the threads as they start them/contribute to them).

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Perhaps one of these could be incorporated into the smiley sets...

fried

• forum hero
Or maybe a fly in a glass of Chardonnay.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
10,000 spoons when all you need is a knife? :)

fried

• forum hero
10,000 spoons when all you need is a knife? :)

I'd like to see the icon for that!

tomtom

• forum hero
Or maybe a fly in a glass of Chardonnay.

Often a good thing ;)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Don't you think?

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
Isn't the joke about this that the list in the song lyrics aren't things that are necessarily ironic, they're just things that would immensely piss you off...and that the song is by Alanis Morrisette?

robertostallioni

• forum hero

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal