UKBouldering.com

annual feedback request/ direness survey (Read 42628 times)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Incidentally, I frequently have to go through the "abusive user" filter (2+3=7 etc) to get in on my mobile. I assume this is because I'm coming in with the ip address of one of o2's routers, and there are other people on o2 doing naughty hings. (Definitely not me!) This is irritating. Might it be possible to install a less indiscriminate filter?
I've added you to the "trusted users" membergroup which should help to prevent this happening so often.

chris j

• forum abuser
Hey! What happened to the dire & cliquey in-joke cartoon picture on the front page. I liked that...  :jab:   ;)

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
I like the way the board looks, it's easy to read and plain enough that if you have it on your screen at work it's not immediately obvious you are skiving. ;) I wouldn't bother changing it unless the majority think it's bad as it is.  Some forums are almost unreadable because they have weird colours, fonts and layouts.

tomtom

• forum hero
Top 5/10 viewed posts in last 24 hours? Please? Its good to see where the interest gossip is if you're not keeping regular tabs..

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Top 5/10 viewed posts in last 24 hours? Please? Its good to see where the interest gossip is if you're not keeping regular tabs..

"Top" being most views or posts?  Former likely biased by spiders/bots so probably the later I'd imagine?

With reagrds to themes for the site, you could either make a selection available and let users select which in their profile (first point under Basics), or users could use a Firefox plugin which lets theme use any custom theme for forums using something like userstyles.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 11:41:42 am by slack---line »

tomtom

• forum hero
Former - there's already the 'views' info, so tally up for last 24 hours.... I only ask as most news websites I go to its the first thing I check...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Former - there's already the 'views' info, so tally up for last 24 hours.... I only ask as most news websites I go to its the first thing I check...

I suppose there could be a case that the views might not be skewed by bots as they would systematically look across all pages, or perhaps they are written to view the top (i.e.most recent) posts in each sub-forum.

But then topics that have lots of views over the last 24 hours will also be the ones that come out near the top when you click on the "Recent unread threads" link, which admittedly will include all the new or lesser posted threads, but the icons on the left handside indicate activity within a thread, and therefore can be used as a quick visual guide.

tomtom

• forum hero

I suppose there could be a case that the views might not be skewed by bots as they would systematically look across all pages, or perhaps they are written to view the top (i.e.most recent) posts in each sub-forum.

But then topics that have lots of views over the last 24 hours will also be the ones that come out near the top when you click on the "Recent unread threads" link, which admittedly will include all the new or lesser posted threads, but the icons on the left handside indicate activity within a thread, and therefore can be used as a quick visual guide.

Yup - you're right theres plenty of ways to do it - I like the BBC way TBH...

Sometimes when I've not checked the board for a day or two I find it quite easy to miss a funny thread that may have a completely incongrous name - you know, how "what should I have for breakfast" can turn into something hilarious etc..

I am a lazy bastard dont forget ;)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
As well as already having the numbe rof views a thread has had already available and displayed, the same is also true of the number of posts in a thread (which is how the icons determine which topics are "hot" and have had lots of posts).

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
If there is a FB page will that ever mean that there will be content that you have to be on FB to access? Cos until I absolutely, totally, explicitly HAVE to I'm never joining it....

Sorry if this is an idiotic question but I know nothing of how FB works.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
No, it'd just be a link to an thread (or article) like you get via twitter.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

We haven't so far even discussed setting up an FB page.

No but plenty of people have suggested it and it seems like a good idea if it means more traffic for the site.

No, it'd just be a link to an thread (or article) like you get via twitter.

Cool. Ta.

tomtom

• forum hero
If there is a FB page will that ever mean that there will be content that you have to be on FB to access? Cos until I absolutely, totally, explicitly HAVE to I'm never joining it....

We haven't so far even discussed setting up an FB page. If we did, I am pretty sure we would only use it to point people at UKB content. Though of course with FB you can't prevent "friends" adding stuff to your "wall" ... though you can delete it.

Seems like a no brainer to me.. You only need to update it every week etc.. With a link to an important/interesting story/news item..

Jasper, I'll sign you up to fb if you dont want to touch it.. Just pm me your bank details and a photocopy of your passport ;)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
No problem. Once you send me your credit card number, security code and expiry date...... just to prove you are who you say you are.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
We haven't so far even discussed setting up an FB page. If we did, I am pretty sure we would only use it to point people at UKB content. Though of course with FB you can't prevent "friends" adding stuff to your "wall" ... though you can delete it.
You can with a regular person's profile, whether it's different for a group or business page I don't know but I can, with my profile, stop everyone or some of my friends having the ability to post on my wall if I choose, it's pretty customisable if you know how to do it.

tomtom

• forum hero
No problem. Once you send me your credit card number, security code and expiry date...... just to prove you are who you say you are.

:) sfs (Inc) already have enough details I suspect!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Yes, yes we do.  :devil-smiley:

Paul B

• forum hero
Does UKB really need a FB page though?

I guess if its the intention of the Overlords to pull in more interest that may be a good way to go but from where I'm sitting I can't see it being of any use/interest much like the various climbing manufacturers having pages, its like signing yourself up for mass-marketing willingly.

Paul B

• forum hero
maybe with a bit of direction of where you 'think' you might aim then this thread would be a bit more focussed rather than fine-tweaking what exists already. I echo what was said about liking this place exactly because its NOT the borg.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
I don't think a Facebook page would be of much interest / use to people who post regularly but it might draw in more people who otherwise wouldn't have looked at the forums.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Does UKB really need a FB page though?
Absolutely not sure.

But you have just prompted a rare UKB tweet ...

Should have asked people to RT ;-)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
I don't think a Facebook page would be of much interest / use to people who post regularly but it might draw in more people who otherwise wouldn't have looked at the forums.

Exactly.

As I said above. I've managed to avoid having anything to do with FB so far but I can see a time when I might have to get involved from a business point of view. Mind you, maybe not.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
and there are a few specific climbers still posting at the Borg that I'd be pleased to see as regulars here

John Cox, Chris Craggs and Franco Cookson?

tomtom

• forum hero
and there are a few specific climbers still posting at the Borg that I'd be pleased to see as regulars here

John Cox, Chris Craggs and Franco Cookson?

Isn't Chris Craggs  - Robertostallioni?

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
That's a good point, Paul. I'm not sure how Shark would answer that but generally I'd say we don't yet have an official "aim" as such, and maybe will never have one. Personally I think UKB could be a bit bigger (in terms of members and posts) without compromising its quality and there are a few specific climbers still posting at the Borg that I'd be pleased to see as regulars here. A bit bigger might also mean more ad revenue but that isn't an explicit objective for us as such and we perceive an obvious and delicate balance between being commercial and preserving the integrity/ authenticity of the place.

Just done a few quick FB searches:
Climbing group 290,000 people like it
rock climbing group 410,000 people like it
bouldering - 28,000 people like it
Climbing Works page - 2000+ members
The Edge 1300 members
Core Climbing 650 members.

All potential viewers, contributors, etc and it'll cost you nothing to try via twitter & FB.  Could increase traffic and lead to bigger ad revenues, etc

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal