UKBouldering.com

annual feedback request/ direness survey (Read 42639 times)

fried

• forum hero
Isn't the joke about this that the list in the song lyrics aren't things that are necessarily ironic, they're just things that would immensely piss you off...and that the song is by Alanis Morrisette?

I would've put an irony icon in the first place but unfortunately we don't have one :tease:

fried

• forum hero
Or maybe a fly in a glass of Chardonnay.

Often a good thing ;)

You sir, need to invest more of your hard-earned on fine Meursault.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
I would've put an irony icon in the first place but unfortunately we don't have one :tease:

O'Rly?

fried

• forum hero
 :2thumbsup:

O'Rly?

:2thumbsup:

Lund

• obsessive maniac
My 10 penneth; mostly I agree with what's been said - the level is right, it's above all a discussion forum and I like that and don't think it needs news or owt.

If I could have anything (and I understand that there are development restrictions as it's basically a forum server with some customisations, yes?)

- Better integration with the factual parts that are useful resources.  The number of times I've had to search for days to find a bit of info I knew was in there and wanted to send to somebody.  It took me 10 minutes to find the board building FAQ the other day.  Some kind of feature/list where actual USEFUL DATA threads (e.g. the be all and end all how to fix your fucked elbow/finger/shoulder/itchy nob thread list) are pulled together into more of a reference - jumping off links into old threads maybe.

- A way to filter the unread messages view.  I don't read YYFY, new-wad-on-the-scene (sorry mums and dads), the compiler, for example; I know other people do so some kind of user customisable hide-thread-feature?

- Something that pulled threads with loads of action on to the top.  A hot topic icon?

- More threads about yoga.

- Profit?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
A way to filter the unread messages view.  I don't read YYFY, new-wad-on-the-scene (sorry mums and dads), the compiler, for example; I know other people do so some kind of user customisable hide-thread-feature?
This would mean authoring a new modification as I can't find anything out there....or if you wanted a more personal solution and are feeling keen, it could be done in Greasemonkey.

Something that pulled threads with loads of action on to the top.  A hot topic icon?
There's a really good looking mod that would accomplish this but it appears at the moment that development has ceased.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
I thought all the UKB mods were really good looking?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
- Better integration with the factual parts that are useful resources.  The number of times I've had to search for days to find a bit of info I knew was in there and wanted to send to somebody.  It took me 10 minutes to find the board building FAQ the other day.  Some kind of feature/list where actual USEFUL DATA threads (e.g. the be all and end all how to fix your fucked elbow/finger/shoulder/itchy nob thread list) are pulled together into more of a reference - jumping off links into old threads maybe.

Perhaps I might sound like a bit of a broken record here (deja vu?) but this is what I envisage the wiki being.  Collate the useful information from the forums, write it up into the Wiki with links to the original threads.  Already a section on Pulley Injuries and Elbow Injuries.

- Something that pulled threads with loads of action on to the top.  A hot topic icon?

They're not at the top, but look at the icons down the left-hand side of the list of threads and you get an indication of whats hot.

Lund

• obsessive maniac

Perhaps I might sound like a bit of a broken record here (deja vu?) but this is what I envisage the wiki being.  Collate the useful information from the forums, write it up into the Wiki with links to the original threads.  Already a section on Pulley Injuries and Elbow Injuries.

Yes, I think this is probably the right final destination.  Current problem is not everything useful ends up in there - my feeling is that the wiki is below critical mass at the moment, and so it doesn't get used because there's not enough stuff in.  I was wondering if there was a middle ground - that involved less effort so was easier to get stuff in...

They're not at the top, but look at the icons down the left-hand side of the list of threads and you get an indication of whats hot.

Right, but that needs me to count and be arsed.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

Yes, I think this is probably the right final destination.  Current problem is not everything useful ends up in there - my feeling is that the wiki is below critical mass at the moment, and so it doesn't get used because there's not enough stuff in.  I was wondering if there was a middle ground - that involved less effort so was easier to get stuff in...

Community based efforts like Wiki's require community input which ultimately boils down to individuals putting the effort in.

I was invited to moderate the Wiki, but I declined as I don't have enough time to dedicate, and also despite me harping on about it, no one seemed to be bothering to add anything to it, so there was no need for moderation that I could see at the time.

Right, but that needs me to count and be arsed.

No, there are icons that indicate if a topic is "hot" (which means > 75 replies, regardless of when they might have been though) and whether you've contributed to it etc. etc., the key is at the bottom of all of the sub-forums.

Its not exactly what you were after, but its a vague way to get to "hot" topics if you look at the icons in the "Recently viewed" page that doesn't require counting.

tomtom

• forum hero
I'm with lund on this one.. It's not obvious to me what hot topics are and Shirley it would be fairly straight forward to count how many views in last 12-24 hours and sort accordingly? Implementation is another matter!

Lund, you can make your own kind of favourites by just using the updated replies link.. So threads you've commented in are effectively your faves?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Implementation is another matter!

Old thread discussing implementation

Another possible solution

Not sure there is an explicit modification package for these though.

Paul B

• forum hero
I have a question: "The Blogosphere; where does it end?"

When the blog pile first started you had Dobbin and others. Over time it has obviously grown and it looks like another gets added relatively often. Now, I'm not saying these aren't of interest but I certainly don't choose to read all of them and un like using RSS and your favourite reader (not to mention its much easier to take your reader on the morning loo trip). They're all included in the "Recent Unread" and as of yet, there's still no way to pick and chose.

I'd probably agree that at the moment its not 'that' intrusive and a quick click of "mark all read" isn't a travesty yet if you continue to grow that section it soon will be. /2p

tomtom

• forum hero
When is the IO summer strategy camp? I'd be interested in what you decide - aside from the confidential plans for global domination and the capture of the source of ultimate power. Bono's hat.

iwasmexican

• obsessive maniac
the time on the clock is off by an hour as well

SA Chris

• forum hero
Click Profile - Forum Profile - Look and Layout - Time Offset - click "Autodetect"

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Can someone tell Chris that slackers is posting on his login.

Pebblespanker

• stalker
  • Old, grey and weak as a kitten
Berry friendly site would be cool then I can have a nosey whilst travelling

Agree with Lund about the finding useful threads bit - grouping them by injury type perhaps, arm, elbow, shoulder, fingers, etc with sub-headings on recovery times 'a few weeks', 'a few months', 'throw self on railway tracks' - so its an at-a-glance 'how fucked am I' resource??

How many times does someone post and then some kind soul points them at previous threads? Maybe an obvious link/pop-up on the posting page directing you to them would save some duplication??

Other than that very happy with the site, top effort Simon and Co  :)

tomtom

• forum hero
Can someone tell Chris that slackers is posting on his login.

:D there's not much he can do about it, Chris has him a little tied up at the moment...

SA Chris

• forum hero
mmmmm! mmmmm! mmmmm!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal