UKBouldering.com

Chee Dale access issues (Read 51606 times)

Steamboat Stello

• menacing presence
#50 Re: Chee Dale access issues
May 26, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
the main issue for me isn't the cost, but whether the revenue goes back into the national park and its facilities. i'm sure with the P&D car parks in the eastern peak, the money doesn't. i can't remember where i read/heard that (BMC meeting), but it's a big issue for me.

I was always under the impression that the money did go back in to the national park and with this in mind I have always paid for parking over the years (and this is when I was a poor student) when it seemed it was PDNPA-run car park. Would be keen to know if this was actually the case or not? Anyone got the knowledge on this? BMC?     

cofe

• forum hero
#51 Re: Chee Dale access issues
May 26, 2011, 03:23:45 pm
Look what i've started. Can't really remember, and googling has drawn a blank. I think it came up a couple of years ago at a BMC thing.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#52 Re: Chee Dale access issues
May 26, 2011, 03:35:14 pm
Anyway, we've finally exposed who Slacker's employers are.....

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#53 Re: Chee Dale access issues
May 26, 2011, 03:51:07 pm
Anyway, we've finally exposed who Slacker's employers are.....

Sssssh!

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#54 Re: Chee Dale access issues
May 26, 2011, 05:49:56 pm
It's only £30 for a season ticket (£15 if you live within the Peak Park), that's only about 9 visits to Chee Dale, plantation, curbar gap or Millstone crags to get your money's worth.  Also, pretty sure the cash goes to the PDNP.

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#55 Re: Chee Dale access issues
May 26, 2011, 06:17:23 pm
I'm also thinking that parking at Millers Dale gives quicker access to Two Tier when the additional driving (from Sheffield) and the Himalayan hill out is taken into account.  If you were coming from Manchester then this might not be the case.

Quicker if coming from glossop direction as you cut out the slo]w bit through buxton by cutting through smalldale and wormhill. We timed the walk in to max's wall at 26mins from millers dale, and because it avoids the hill and is quicker to drive to is now our approach of choice.

A year permit is a great idea

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#56 Re: Chee Dale access issues
May 26, 2011, 06:56:51 pm
the main issue for me isn't the cost, but whether the revenue goes back into the national park and its facilities. i'm sure with the P&D car parks in the eastern peak, the money doesn't. i can't remember where i read/heard that (BMC meeting), but it's a big issue for me.

Bill at North Lees will know.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#57 Re: Chee Dale access issues
May 26, 2011, 07:27:11 pm
They own them, the money must go back into the park.

http://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/index/visiting/parking.htm

Annual Application form:

http://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/carpark.pdf

tomtom

• forum hero
#58 Re: Chee Dale access issues
May 27, 2011, 04:57:23 pm
Just back from Rubicon, where I had a good chat with the owner ( he could have been gamekeeper but I asked him if this was his land and he said yes), a pleasant chap with a nice black lab.

There were 5-6 of us there and he chatted to all, and was asking about whether or not we'd seen anyone fishing. He explained the situation as JB said earlier - and he's obviously keen to stop it happening via self policing from climbers. from what he said the people fishing were climbers or people with climbers and it's happened three times. One time was a couple of folk fly fIshing who he thought may have been with a student group - and he told them to stop which they did. In his words, no problems or reports for years and three times this year..

I took his number and said I'd post it up here so if anyone sees anyone fishing to give him a ring. He seemed pretty pleased with this and said thanks etc.. I got the impression he didn't want to change the status quo but obviously didn't want anyone poaching. Of course a quiet word in someone's ear if anyone is fishing is probably the easiest thing to do...

His name is Steve and his number is 01298 871676

TT

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#59 Re: Chee Dale access issues
May 27, 2011, 05:18:22 pm
[quoate]
I took his number and said I'd post it up here so if anyone sees anyone fishing to give him a ring

TT
[/quote]
if only there was a signal at rubicon or anywhere nearby :whistle:

great work tt, hope all the diplomacy didn't stop the crushing

dave

#60 Re: Chee Dale access issues
May 27, 2011, 06:30:21 pm
a pleasant chap with a nice black lab.

Was probably these guys' boss.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#61 Re: Chee Dale access issues
May 27, 2011, 07:46:44 pm

That's Stephen Moores. He's the Head Keeper for cragx & Litton Flyfishers, who control the fishing. He's come to talk to me a couple of times when I've been watching/studying the fish.

I keep his number in my phone in the hope that one day I'll be able justify spending £45 on a day fishing that lovely looking river.

Who am I kidding? £45 for a day on the Wye is a bargain; I'm just waiting for it to be in perfect condition on a day that I can get off work. My main worry is that I could get addicted to fishing perfect, well managed small rivers.

Paul B

• forum hero

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#63 Re: Chee Dale access issues
May 31, 2011, 05:17:41 pm
Not the best timing coming toward the end of the season, wouldn't they be better waiting the year out and aiming to release it in time for next spring, thus minimising the chance of it being outdated by the time most folk get around to needing it?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#64 Re: Chee Dale access issues
June 01, 2011, 02:03:58 pm
http://www.rockfax.com/publications/books/item.php?id=183

Judging by the author, that publication will be handsome, sophisticated, mature and agreeable. Oh and crap.

JC

• addict
#65 Re: Chee Dale access issues
June 01, 2011, 03:59:12 pm
http://www.rockfax.com/publications/books/item.php?id=183

Judging by the author, that publication will be handsome, sophisticated, mature and agreeable. Oh and crap.

..... with tons of new sport routes, crags to go to, and updated routes. Can't see what's crap about that myself.    :shrug:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#66 Re: Chee Dale access issues
June 01, 2011, 04:11:34 pm
I thought someone might not get that one.  :tumble:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#67 Re: Chee Dale access issues
June 01, 2011, 04:36:53 pm
:)

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#68 Re: Chee Dale access issues
June 01, 2011, 05:58:08 pm
 :lol:

Paul B

• forum hero
#69 Re: Chee Dale access issues
June 04, 2011, 11:28:20 pm
May I ask the approved approach to Chee Tor? I wandered in from Dogs Dinner the other night but talking to a few people it was suggested that this is frowned upon and river crossing is the way (as I did today)?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#70 Re: Chee Dale access issues
June 05, 2011, 10:40:39 am
Yeah, officially the DWT would prefer you to wade - or when the river is low you can boulder-hop dryshod across the rapid just downstream of the new boardwalk. I'm not convinced there is much rationale behind not using the path from Dog's Dinner though - its been used for years and is hardly a scar on the landscape.

RichK

• menacing presence
#71 Re: Chee Dale access issues
June 05, 2011, 10:27:29 pm
There are stepping stones directly below Clarion Call. I presume this is ok :-\

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#72 Re: Chee Dale access issues
June 10, 2011, 10:00:37 am
To add to Johnny Brown's points it was useful getting Henry Folkard's (Access Rep) insights at the Peak Area meet.

Whilst the parking issues and crag access issues are ostensibly separate there is a good deal of interconnectedness that means that one can affect the other insofar how the climbing community is viewed by other bodies. For example a key person for Derbyshire Wildlife lives at Wormhill and would be personally well aware of the parking issue.

If Derbyshire Wildlife had owned Chee Dale prior to climbing taking place there is no doubt that they would not permit it now. For example, whilst climbers have unrestricted access to Two Tier buttress, Derbyshire Wildlife does not even permit its own members tio go across there !

There are some good indicators with changes of personnel at Derbyshire Wildlife and collaborations underway with the BMC that mean that the relationship with Derbyshire Wildlife will strengthen in the forthcoming months. In the meantime it would be helpful for Henry for all of us to keep as low a profile as possible and generally do the right thing with respect to parking, bolting, situ gear, accessing the crags via preferred paths, respecting fishing rights, noise, litter, not blocking footpaths with gear, gardening etc. Also if you have a quiet word with anyone who isn't that would be  :2thumbsup:

With respect to parking at the station opposite the green shed instead of at Wormhill the fee is £3.50 but a permit can be obtained for parking in the Peak at £30 per year for those outside the park and £15 within. Info here

205Chris

• forum hero
#73 Re: Chee Dale access issues
June 15, 2011, 05:16:05 pm
With respect to parking at the station opposite the green shed instead of at Wormhill the fee is £3.50 but a permit can be obtained for parking in the Peak at £30 per year for those outside the park and £15 within. Info here

I applied for a permit last Friday and it arrived today. It covers 18 pay and display car parks in the Peak District including Wormhill, Stanage Plantation, Millstone / Surprise view and Curbar Gap.

It also says that income generated from car park permits / charges are used exclusively for the maintenance of National Park Authority owned properties.

You also don't need to supply your registration plate when you apply for a permit either which might be of use to the car sharers out there...... :whistle:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#74 Re: Chee Dale access issues
June 15, 2011, 05:32:28 pm
It also says that income generated from car park permits / charges are used exclusively for the maintenance of National Park Authority owned properties.

Excellent, thanks for feeding that back.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal