UKBouldering.com

Building a woody. (Read 4987 times)

lincoln.3

Building a woody.
May 07, 2011, 09:51:29 pm
Looking a building a woody but have a few questions that I need help with....

1/ How much space is needed to make it worth while? I've seen some 8 foot by 8 foot but is that enough?

2/ Would it be wise to fix frame work to single skin brickwork i.e Garage (Other option is building a steel frame which is free standing but it will be more expensive)

3/ What angles are woodys usually built to? Ive not been climbing that long and was thinking of 20 degrees??!!?? or possibly adjustable??

Any help would be great...

Cheers

The Aaronator

• menacing presence
#1 Re: Building a woody.
May 07, 2011, 11:26:36 pm
Looking a building a woody but have a few questions that I need help with....

1/ How much space is needed to make it worth while? I've seen some 8 foot by 8 foot but is that enough?

2/ Would it be wise to fix frame work to single skin brickwork i.e Garage (Other option is building a steel frame which is free standing but it will be more expensive)

3/ What angles are woodys usually built to? Ive not been climbing that long and was thinking of 20 degrees??!!?? or possibly adjustable??

Any help would be great...

Cheers

Some useful links here

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#2 Re: Building a woody.
December 21, 2016, 09:34:52 pm
so... I've measured up my cellar and looks like I've got a useful space 1.8m high, 2m wide and max 1.5m deep.

Having done a bit of basic trigonometry I'm thinking 30 degrees looks the most sensible option, especially taking into account my ridiculous weakness.

Am I on a hiding to nothing here? Will the board end up too short/small?

EDIT...apologies for adding to this thread, couldn't find the main woodie thread via Tapatalk.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#3 Re: Building a woody.
December 21, 2016, 09:52:21 pm
Not meaning to piss on your fire, but a 20 degree piece of plywood is not a woodie. A woodie needs to be 30 degrees minimum in order for it to fulfill its role as a woodie I.e a steep training tool.
If you've only recently started climbing then a woodie might not be for you. I'd certainly go for an adjustable one if you build one at all. Your rate of progression is likely to mean that you quickly struggle to set tough problems on a 20. Another thing to bear in mind is that the very fingery and powerful style of climbing you get on a board may lead you quickly into injury if your body is not yet fully adapted to the rigours of climbing.

Soz if that's all negative or I've misjudged your level of experience!

FFS! Just replied to a 5 year old post!

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#4 Building a woody.
December 21, 2016, 09:55:47 pm
I'd say too short at 30 degrees. <2mtr at 1.8 ceiling? ish. I think you could get the better part of 3 panels in that space at 45* and be happier for it. Well, 2.54 mtrs with no kick board. Which adds an extra move.
Even if if you really are weak now, which I doubt; you'll soon harden up under the board. Just start with large (hand) holds and keep the feet poor.

Edit:
Oops! My bad. Misread the depth as 2.5.
Sorry. The steeper the better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#5 Re: Building a woody.
December 21, 2016, 10:07:00 pm
Not meaning to piss on your fire, but a 20 degree piece of plywood is not a woodie. A woodie needs to be 30 degrees minimum in order for it to fulfill its role as a woodie I.e a steep training tool.
If you've only recently started climbing then a woodie might not be for you. I'd certainly go for an adjustable one if you build one at all. Your rate of progression is likely to mean that you quickly struggle to set tough problems on a 20. Another thing to bear in mind is that the very fingery and powerful style of climbing you get on a board may lead you quickly into injury if your body is not yet fully adapted to the rigours of climbing.

Soz if that's all negative or I've misjudged your level of experience!

FFS! Just replied to a 5 year old post!

Welcome to "not reading the post properly" club.
The first rule of not reading the post properly club, is stop talking and pretend you're not in "not reading the post properly" club...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#6 Re: Building a woody.
December 21, 2016, 10:12:21 pm
This is my original thread when I was sizing up, 3T
http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,3260.msg478095.html#msg478095

I'm not sure how much you'll get out of a 30 degree board if it's 1.8m tall. Seems like not much climbing room. I'd say go steeper but if you've only got 1.5m depth then you're struggling in a different direction.

My board was built at 40 degrees. You're more than welcome to come round sometime and have a play on it and see what it's like spacewise (sessions are most Tuesdays). Just drop me a PM.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#7 Re: Building a woody.
December 21, 2016, 10:57:31 pm
Cheers Will, I'll take you up on that. And that's the thread I was looking for too!

[returns to drawing board]

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

tomtom

• forum hero
#8 Re: Building a woody.
December 22, 2016, 07:49:38 am
You can do alot in a small space... Lee (Crusher Holds) has narrow board up the back of his stairs in a terrace..

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal