UKBouldering.com

Strings (Read 108195 times)

abarro81

• forum hero
#100 Re: Strings
September 11, 2012, 07:39:46 am
Im using a sterling at the moment. Best rope I've had I think.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#101 Re: Strings
September 11, 2012, 01:12:26 pm
Im using a sterling at the moment.

Whilst posting on ukb?  :o I hope for your partner's sake you have a grigri.

I am very impressed with the handling & longevity of the sterling rope my mate bought last year, and will definitely consider one for my next rope.

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#102 Re: Strings
September 11, 2012, 02:49:40 pm
To counter that, I have a Sterling Nano 9.1, and thats got a rip in the  by just thinking about climbing.  :no: Next time I'll go back to Beal.

nik at work

• forum hero
#103 Re: Strings
September 11, 2012, 03:08:14 pm
It probably took one look at your fat ass and decided to commit hari-kari...

abarro81

• forum hero
#104 Re: Strings
September 11, 2012, 03:25:24 pm
Nano is 9.2 I think?
I have either the 9.2 or the 9.4, not quite sure which though it seemed the same as the 9.2 someone else had. I was given it 15 months ago by an American guy who couldn't fit it in his baggage home - it had already been cut a few times, so had had a decent bit of use. Since then I think I've only cut each end twice despite using it quite a lot (and these guns weigh a lot). It handles better than any of my previous ropes (Wild Country 10.5, Mammut Infinity 9.5, Tendon Master 9.7, Tendon Ambition 9.8 ).

My infinity has lasted ok but then I only use it for onsights and redpointing routes longer than 40m. It does kink a lot and twist up though.
The Tendons were good, but I think overall I've been more impressed with the Stirling - it's likely to be top of my list if I've not managed to wangle free ropes out of someone by the time I need a new one.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#105 Re: Strings
September 11, 2012, 04:17:58 pm
It probably took one look at your fat ass and decided to commit hari-kari...

Could be worse, I move so slowly that age-related degradation whilst actually climbing is a factor.  Still, to judge from some belayer's comments, I can reach the top of most routes whilst barely off the ground, so long falls aren't really a possibility!

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#106 Re: Strings
November 02, 2012, 10:55:32 pm
Anybody used one of these?

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/edelrid-perfect-10mm-70m-rope-p194194

They look ok, although the listed impact force is higher than the equivalent weight Beal (the Edlinger 10.2, they are both 64g/m), implying that you get a less comfy fall. Although i never know how much these figures actually relate to the real world.

Paul B

• forum hero
#107 Re: Strings
November 03, 2012, 12:59:43 pm
To counter that, I have a Sterling Nano 9.1, and thats got a rip in the  by just thinking about climbing.  :no: Next time I'll go back to Beal.

I've just had a 3 weeks in Buoux for which Nat and I we took a brand new Sterling ION 2 (9.4mm) and my (ginger) Edelrid Python (~10mm). The Python needed chopping at both ends after about a week and a half of use. The Sterling looks as if its getting close to needing chopping at one end by the end of 3.

The amusing part is that due to its weight the Python was often ditched in preference to the ION which took a lot more hammer over the holiday.

I think its one of the best handling ropes I've ever had (although it should be noted that due to this it stays rather 'slick' in a gri gri 1 for longer), I think it outperformed my Beal Stinger III which I thought was great. The only thing that really bothered me was a lack of middle marker.

Its probably worth stating that as I currently work in a gear shop I didn't pay full price for the ION,

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#108 Re: Strings
November 04, 2012, 10:52:55 pm
Sterling ION 2 (9.4mm)
I think its one of the best handling ropes I've ever had (although it should be noted that due to this it stays rather 'slick' in a gri gri 1 for longer), I think it outperformed my Beal Stinger III which I thought was great. The only thing that really bothered me was a lack of middle marker.
Its probably worth stating that as I currently work in a gear shop I didn't pay full price for the ION,

Yeah, I am increasingly convinced that mostly, cheaper ropes last less long and work less well, and since I climb quite a bit, and actually use them, it's worth chucking an extra few bob at a rope. They're not much more expensive than a pair of rock shoes anyway. I like the sound of Sterlings. I've used Bluewater ropes in the USA, which i was also impressed with, and generally have liked Beals more than most, if only because the low impact force translates well into comfy falls.

unknownclimber

#109 Re: Strings
November 23, 2012, 10:25:06 am
sterling ropes are the way to go my friend!
ive got the nano (9.2) goes hand in hand with my gri gri 2!
light
strong
fairly hardwearing
i got 60M for £120
and in salmon pink/china red it looks spectacular!!!  :2thumbsup:

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#110 Re: Strings
January 30, 2013, 05:43:23 pm
Quick heads up - Crag X has a Sterling 80m 9.8mm for just £150 in store at the mo

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#111 Re: Strings
December 09, 2014, 08:56:41 am
V12 are doing Mammut Ledge 70m x 9.6mm for £75.

Never heard of Ledge before, a special of some kind? Short for Legend or what you hit when it stretches excessively?

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#112 Re: Strings
December 09, 2014, 09:26:37 am
or what you hit when it stretches excessively?

:lol: It's not the most inspiring name. Lost in translation I guess?

Unless it's specially designed for ledge-shuffling. In which case I'm ordering a pair.

kelvin

• forum hero
#113 Re: Strings
December 09, 2014, 09:35:53 am
Well, I just ordered one - cut in half, that'll be a new indoor rope and a grit rope for £37.50 each. Bargain!

Thanks Duncan.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#114 Re: Strings
December 09, 2014, 12:10:56 pm
Can anyone recommend a good trad rope that can be bought off the reel? I had an idea that it might be quite cheap to buy two lengths of 100m (different colours) and chop them at 60m, giving a pair of mountain halves and a pair of grit halves.
Or maybe its just better to stick with convention and buy an 80m 8.5mm and chop it at halfway for grit, and a seperate set of thinner 60m halves. I remember climbing with a friend's 60m halves that were either 7.5 or 8mm. The weight difference on that length of rope was incredible!

Paul B

• forum hero
#115 Re: Strings
December 09, 2014, 03:50:33 pm
I've got a set of Mammut 7.5s and whilst they're light they're a real pain.

Firstly, they tangle, around anything (and everything) but more importantly, when you actually do come off they stretch absurd amounts be warned.... Also, and this may just be a mental thing, when you've only clipped one and it's running over an edge they look terrifying!

Sterling do a 120m version of their half ropes (8mm) which I sourced for my dad and then cut down. They're not so different in colour, purple and purple with black but they also do the same thing in orange so there's scope to end up with a set.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#116 Re: Strings
December 09, 2014, 05:43:36 pm
I've been through a couple of sets of Beal 8mm ice lines for big trad and winter. They are great, but you need to handle them well to avoid tangles. I've found them better that the Mammuts but tangling is usually down to how you unpacked them. I think it's worth buying a specific belay device for skinnies ( I use a reversino) but the manufacturers seem to be moving towards devices that supposedly suit all.

For grit I use some old Beal 8.6mm Cobras which have been successively cut down to about 30. You don't want skinnies for grit, they'll wear too quick, too much stretch near the ground.

Paul B

• forum hero
#117 Re: Strings
December 09, 2014, 10:03:48 pm
I've been through a couple of sets of Beal 8mm ice lines for big trad and winter. They are great, but you need to handle them well to avoid tangles. I've found them better that the Mammuts but tangling is usually down to how you unpacked them.

Sorry but I'm unconvinced by this, the Mammuts come coiled with a velcro strap and are incredibly easy to run out the first time (and great care was taken after once letting Nat go to town on a new rope). Treating it exactly the same as a skinny Edelrid in the Verdon it was always the Mammut that was a PITA, it just coiled, non-stop.

abarro81

• forum hero
#118 Re: Strings
December 09, 2014, 11:21:16 pm
My Mammut single rope does that a lot too

andybfreeman

• menacing presence
#119 Re: Strings
December 10, 2014, 06:23:32 am

I've just had a 3 weeks in Buoux for which Nat and I we took a brand new Sterling ION 2 (9.4mm) and my (ginger) Edelrid Python (~10mm). The Python needed chopping at both ends after about a week and a half of use. The Sterling looks as if its getting close to needing chopping at one end by the end of 3.

The amusing part is that due to its weight the Python was often ditched in preference to the ION which took a lot more hammer over the holiday.

I've been using the ION for a few months and it's holding up very well. I thought I migh have to keep using the old 9.8 for working routes (based on my brother's last thin rope, the Beal joker, disintegrating very quickly) but my fears were misplaced. It's a bit hard for Gwyn to haul up the rope for boinking but other than that it's been magic :)

csl

• junky
#120 Re: Strings
December 16, 2014, 10:21:11 am
Anyone seen any good deals on 80m ropes?

AlistairB

• addict
#121 Re: Strings
December 16, 2014, 10:54:27 am
Anyone seen any good deals on 80m ropes?

http://www.rockrun.com/rock-climbing/climbing-ropes/mammut-finesse-9-3mm-x-80m

http://www.rockrun.com/rock-climbing/climbing-ropes/mammut-infinity-9-5mm-x-80m

Bought myself a Finesse to use for long Kalymnos stuff next easter on the basis of it being a coated skinny Mammut for less than basically any other 80m. Obviously haven't used it in anger yet though! Seems nice, probably at the thick end of 9.3mm but personally I don't mind that. Infinity gets a lot of praise for durability as it's been around for longer but I just went for the cheapest.

Oh, also, if you're looking for more info on the Finesse, it appears to be a renamed / coloured Nordwand which there are a few reviews of I think.

csl

• junky
#122 Re: Strings
December 28, 2014, 03:52:36 pm
I have ended up with the infinity you posted about, so cheers for the recommendation!

ghisino

• forum abuser
#123 Re: Strings
January 02, 2015, 03:44:20 pm
anyone has advice on a very thick sheated, abrasion-resistant half rope?

to be used on rock only, sometimes in guiding or guiding-like situations (weak, unaware following climber that takes swings, gets hauled or helped with a very tight rope, etc...), sometimes in parties of 3, occasionally in rope-killing places like wadi rum.

i'm aware of the beal pro mountain and edelrid kestrel being advertised as what i need but i wonder aboud other brands/models.

Paul B

• forum hero
#124 Re: Strings
January 03, 2015, 05:01:02 pm
the old DMM ropes were meant to have very durable sheaths. I'm not sure if you can still get them anywhere?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal