UKBouldering.com

Klimb Training Software (Read 16595 times)

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
Klimb Training Software
April 14, 2011, 04:58:16 pm
This software was originally developed by Dmitry Kalashnikov as part of his computer sciences degree to make a little money. I was one of the early users, and found it useful, but quite limited with a few bugs and quirks. After a couple of years Dmitry stopped supporting the software and released it as a free download along with the source code. I taught my self the absolute basics of Java and began to tinker with it. It should be noted that I’m not a programmer, all the fixes and modifications I’ve made have been the results of hours of copy and paste and trial and error.
Installation instructions.
Download the original – it shouldn’t appear as a zip file, if it does it’s possible you don’t have Java installed on your machine. If you definitely have the latest version of  Java installed you may have to rename the file extension to .jar. Click install and this should take you through the install process, however Klimb doesn’t create shortcuts so you’ll have to go to your C:/program files/klimb and create a shortcut to the file klimb.jar, paste this onto your desktop etc.

KlimbV2
If you want to try my ‘upgrade’ (ha!) download it and paste into the same folder and follow the above procedure for creating a shortcut. If you don’t like it you can always just run the other version.
This version works with existing users data. I can’t remember all the changes/fixes I’ve made in this version because that’s the sort of detail a real programmer would record, but it includes:
Date bug – clicking on 6/4/2000 would take you to 4/6/2000
Added a Timeline, wanted to add a calendar but had no idea how.
Added Font and British tech grades, with varying degrees of accuracy.
Extended the life of the program
Cosmetic layout changes
Got rid of the profile pic – it takes up useful space and I know what I look like. If anyone misses this feature a work-around is to blutack a tiny mirror to you monitor.
Removed the ‘my climbing grade Vs the world’ graph – the world’s hardest was out of date and I don’t tend to forget what grade I climb
Added ‘Kgs’ to the weight legends
Other stuff probably
I’ve no plans to make any further modifications to this version

KlimbV3
This has some major modifications and unfortunately installation isn’t so simple.
These instructions are for people who have successfully installed Klimb but haven’t yet entered any data.

Download this file and paste into C:\program files/klimb as above.
Go to C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name\.klimb\data (note the actual address may differ on your computer) and find klimb.script, rename this to klimb1.script (note: depending on your folder view settings the file extension may not be visible, if it just appears as ‘klimb’ don’t add the ‘.script’ bit) download this file and paste into this folder. Rename it to klimb.script and run the program; if this is successful you’ll need to go into ‘Tools’ ‘Manage Users’ click on ‘Test Page’ click ‘edit’ and change the user name.  If you can’t get the program to run click ‘ctrl Alt Del’ task manager and stop ‘javaw.exe’, then delete ‘klimb.script, and rename klimb1.script to klimb, and you’re back where you started. Simples…

KlimbV3
With this version I really started dicking about with things, as a consequence in retrospect there’s some things I would’ve done differently. The big things to be aware of if you’re an existing user are:
The ‘Psyche’ and ‘Sleep’ fields. I decided I didn’t need these so I re-tasked these fields for ‘Workout Quality’ and ‘Workout Intensity’. Any info you’ve previously entered into these fields will now display a random Workout Quality/Intensity value, sorry but I was only ever working on this for my own benefit.
The ‘Falls’ field on the climbing page. First off I renamed this to ‘Redpoints’ and then later re tasked it all together to ‘Style’, same sketch as with the ‘Psyche/Sleep’ fields.
Additions and deletions (that I can remember).
Program now closes on a single click
Cardio Distance added
Body Fat added
Cosmetic changes
Resting Heart Rate added
Sleep Quality and Motivation added (Different from the Psyche data unfortunately)
Ascent Style added
Conditioning Volume added (very inaccurate)
Climbing Volume enhanced

Upgrading to V3 for existing users.
A lot more complicated – put the kettle on…
First off find Klimb.script in data as above and make a copy of it, in fact make several and put them somewhere safe – this file contains all your data, I recommend that all users periodically backup this file (you can also use this file to copy your data over between different computers).
Now right click the copy that’s still in data and open with notepad.
Find:
CREATE TABLE CARDIO_JOURNAL(ENTRY_DATE DATE NOT NULL,PERSON_ID INTEGER NOT NULL,CARDIO FLOAT NOT NULL,CONSTRAINT SYS_CT_9 UNIQUE(ENTRY_DATE,PERSON_ID))
And replace with:
Code: [Select]
CREATE TABLE CARDIO_JOURNAL(ENTRY_DATE DATE NOT NULL,PERSON_ID INTEGER NOT NULL,CARDIO FLOAT NOT NULL,DIST FLOAT,CONSTRAINT SYS_CT_9 UNIQUE(ENTRY_DATE,PERSON_ID))

Find:

CREATE TABLE VITALS_JOURNAL(ENTRY_DATE DATE NOT NULL,PERSON_ID INTEGER NOT NULL,WEIGHT FLOAT NOT NULL,CONSTRAINT SYS_CT_15 UNIQUE(ENTRY_DATE,PERSON_ID),CONSTRAINT FK_VITALS_RELATIONS_PERSON FOREIGN KEY(PERSON_ID) REFERENCES PERSON(PERSON_ID))

And replace with:

CREATE TABLE VITALS_JOURNAL(ENTRY_DATE DATE NOT NULL,PERSON_ID INTEGER NOT NULL,WEIGHT FLOAT NOT NULL,FAT FLOAT,CONSTRAINT SYS_CT_15 UNIQUE(ENTRY_DATE,PERSON_ID),CONSTRAINT FK_VITALS_RELATIONS_PERSON FOREIGN KEY(PERSON_ID) REFERENCES PERSON(PERSON_ID))
CREATE TABLE HEALTH_JOURNAL(ENTRY_DATE DATE NOT NULL,PERSON_ID INTEGER NOT NULL,HEALTH FLOAT NOT NULL,DATA1 INTEGER,DATA2 INTEGER,CONSTRAINT SYS_CT_17 UNIQUE(ENTRY_DATE,PERSON_ID),CONSTRAINT FK_HEALTH_RELATIONS_PERSON FOREIGN KEY(PERSON_ID) REFERENCES PERSON(PERSON_ID))
CREATE TABLE HEALTH_COMMENTS(ENTRY_DATE DATE,PERSON_ID INTEGER,MOTIVATION_LEVEL INTEGER,SLEEP_QUALITY INTEGER,HEALTH1 INTEGER,HEALTH2 INTEGER,COMMENTS VARCHAR(200) NOT NULL,CONSTRAINT SYS_CT_19 UNIQUE(ENTRY_DATE,PERSON_ID))
CREATE TABLE ARCS_JOURNAL(ENTRY_DATE DATE NOT NULL,PERSON_ID INTEGER NOT NULL,GRADE1 INTEGER NOT NULL,DUR1 INTEGER NOT NULL,REST1 INTEGER,GRADE2 INTEGER,DUR2 INTEGER,REST2 INTEGER,GRADE3 INTEGER,DUR3 INTEGER,CONSTRAINT SYS_CT_21 UNIQUE(ENTRY_DATE,PERSON_ID))

Now the complicated bit….
Scroll down through the document until you find a series of entries that look like this:

INSERT INTO CARDIO_JOURNAL VALUES('2010-12-29',1,10.470000267028809E0)

The values will vary obviously.
Add an extra value (with comma) at the end of each column. This value is the distance you ran/biked/swam in km or miles. If you can’t remember put:    ,0

Then find:

INSERT INTO VITALS_JOURNAL VALUES('2005-01-08',1,59.0E0)

And do the same again, this time the extra value is bodyfat %.

Save it.

Copy KlimbV3 into program files/klimb and run it.
If it hangs at ‘starting database’ you’ve either made a mistake in editing the .script file or my instructions are missing something. If this is the case – ctrl-alt-del and stop javaw.exe and if necessary go back to using your original Klimb script.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 05:26:21 pm by Serpico »

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1 Re: Klimb Training Software
April 14, 2011, 05:06:06 pm
Got any instructions for installing on non-M$ OSes?  :tease:

Serpico

• forum hero
#2 Re: Klimb Training Software
April 14, 2011, 05:09:45 pm
Got any instructions for installing on non-M$ OSes?  :tease:

Forgot about that  :slap: as it's java it's supposed to be platform neutral, but all that guff I posted about 'C:/program files/blah blah' obviously that'll all be bollocks.
Maybe a fearless mac user can try and add their knowledge.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#3 Re: Klimb Training Software
April 14, 2011, 05:11:59 pm
If I get round to trying it under GNU/Linux I'll write it up (on the wiki)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#4 Re: Klimb Training Software
April 14, 2011, 05:19:49 pm
Well I decided to have a quick go as running .jar files under *NIX is piss.

Unfortunately install (of the original) craps out with the following error...

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NullPointerException
at klimb.um.UserPane$2.start(Unknown Source)
at klimb.um.UserPane.updateModel(Unknown Source)
at klimb.um.UserPane.<init>(Unknown Source)
at klimb.KlimbApp.buildGui(Unknown Source)
at klimb.KlimbApp.<init>(Unknown Source)
at klimb.KlimbApp.main(Unknown Source)

Its easy to run .jar files under *NIX, simply download them to somewhere you're happy to save and run them from (e.g. I'll use the ~/bin directory).

Then (assuming you have a functional Java Virtual Machine installed) at a command prompt type 'java -jar ~/bin/InstallKlimb.jar' (without the single quotes which are for demarcation purposes) and you'll be off and running.

If you're arsed about a short cut, simply create one and have it execute the above so you've got something to point-and-click on.

Serpico

• forum hero
#5 Re: Klimb Training Software
April 14, 2011, 05:28:07 pm
No idea about the original installer or *NIX, but I have reformatted the original post based on your use of 'code' :)

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#6 Re: Klimb Training Software
April 14, 2011, 06:40:15 pm
Maybe a fearless mac user can try and add their knowledge.

Klimb 1 instals & runs flawlessly on my Mac: unsurprisingly, since Mr K mentions somewhere on his site that he mainly developed it on Macs.

Klimb2 reports a UnsupportedClassVersionError, suggesting that you built it on a later version of Java than I have. I have 1.5.0_26 - any idea what you used? Typing "java -version" on a command line tells you.

Serpico

• forum hero
#7 Re: Klimb Training Software
April 14, 2011, 06:43:32 pm
V 1.6.0_24 which I'm pretty sure is the latest version.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#8 Re: Klimb Training Software
April 14, 2011, 07:56:32 pm
Yep, Klimb 2 works fine on a Mac with Java 1.6

Now to try Klimb 3 ...

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#9 Re: Klimb Training Software
April 15, 2011, 07:54:47 am
KlimbV3 starts up just fine on a Mac (having set the preferred Java version to 1.6) but I don't find a klimb.script anywhere.

And OMG my eyes hurt. That thing looks almost like something that was originally built in Java by somebody who subsequently went to work for Microsoft. Oh, wait ...

Serpico

• forum hero
#10 Re: Klimb Training Software
April 15, 2011, 08:10:49 am
KlimbV3 starts up just fine on a Mac (having set the preferred Java version to 1.6) but I don't find a klimb.script anywhere.

Can you find the folder  .klimb/data?   What's the mac equivalent of documents and settings (not My Documents)?

And OMG my eyes hurt. That thing looks almost like something that was originally built in Java by somebody who subsequently went to work for Microsoft. Oh, wait ...

V3 should mirror the OS system theme.

csurfleet

• menacing presence
#11 Re: Klimb Training Software
April 15, 2011, 09:04:15 am
Awesome serpico!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#12 Re: Klimb Training Software
April 15, 2011, 09:07:35 am
V 1.6.0_24 which I'm pretty sure is the latest version.

Minor versions could be an issue as I'm on java-1.6.0_20 (implemented as IcedTea rather than Sun's version, but thats highly unlikely to be an issue).

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#13 Re: Klimb Training Software
April 15, 2011, 09:49:08 am

V3 should mirror the OS system theme.

Just to be clear: no offence intended to you. The comment was directed at the entire lineage and really triggered by my first impessions of Klimb 1. For exampe: 3D charts used to display 2-dimensional data: more or less *the* classic Bad Design Mistake Number One in data display.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#14 Re: Klimb Training Software
April 15, 2011, 09:57:26 am
3D charts used to display 2-dimensional data: more or less *the* classic Bad Design Mistake Number One in data display.

:no: :sick:  A lot of computer scientists and graphic designers have no idea about how to accurately represent data without distorting it (e.g. pie charts, how good are you at estimating degree/radians?  And mentally rotating a section of pie around to compare it to an adjacent one? Just use bar charts instead it makes all categories instantly comparable).

@Muenchener Have you read Tufte's Visual Display of Quantitative Information, a brilliant read.

Serpico

• forum hero
#15 Re: Klimb Training Software
April 15, 2011, 10:21:12 am
3D charts used to display 2-dimensional data: more or less *the* classic Bad Design Mistake Number One in data display.

:no: :sick:  A lot of computer scientists and graphic designers have no idea about how to accurately represent data without distorting it (e.g. pie charts, how good are you at estimating degree/radians?  And mentally rotating a section of pie around to compare it to an adjacent one? Just use bar charts instead it makes all categories instantly comparable).

@Muenchener Have you read Tufte's Visual Display of Quantitative Information, a brilliant read.

Whinge, whinge, whinge... :)
Changed that in both versions (but not changed the version number).

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#16 Re: Klimb Training Software
April 15, 2011, 11:20:11 am

Absolutely - fortunately when I still had access to a university library, since it is Not Cheap. But great.

I think the 8a.nu grade pyramid format is quite good as information display goes, but in my pyramid spreadsheet I am working on a version that (a) incorporates the time dimension, (b) ends up looking like a rainbow. For the first quarter I enter routes in three different shades of red for os/flash/rp, for the next quarter in three different shades of orange, etc. Quite Tufty imho. Maybe I'll post a picture of it some time with the embarassingly low actual grades blanked out.

We are of course all bearing in mind that no amount of fiddling with java apps or spreadsheets will get us anywhere near this grade pyramid?

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#17 Re: Klimb Training Software
April 15, 2011, 10:21:38 pm

Can you find the folder  .klimb/data?   What's the mac equivalent of documents and settings (not My Documents)?

OK, found it now. I had overlooked the dot in the directory name. And can now report that, with no saved data & following the "easy" version of the instructions, V3 appears to work fine on a Mac.

Baldy

• obsessive maniac
  • Low Bawler
    • CBclimbing
#18 Re: Klimb Training Software
April 16, 2011, 11:29:53 pm
Maybe I'm being stupid, but I cant get my situps (regular) to appear on the program?

Is this something I am perhaps doing wrong?

I just click add, use the dropdown, add reps (huge number  :wank: ) and click save...but it doesnt appear.
Any thoughts?

Serpico

• forum hero
#19 Re: Klimb Training Software
April 17, 2011, 07:37:03 am
Maybe I'm being stupid, but I cant get my situps (regular) to appear on the program?

Is this something I am perhaps doing wrong?

I just click add, use the dropdown, add reps (huge number  :wank: ) and click save...but it doesnt appear.
Any thoughts?

This is one of the quirks I haven't been able to sort, after you've entered a number into a cell click on any other empty cell before saving and it should work.
You'll find a similar thing when entering route names, etc, on the climbing page.

Baldy

• obsessive maniac
  • Low Bawler
    • CBclimbing
#20 Re: Klimb Training Software
April 17, 2011, 06:52:53 pm
ah, cool I'll go try that now.

Serpico

• forum hero
#21 Re: Klimb Training Software
May 20, 2011, 04:41:05 pm
Klimb V3.2
Update for V3 users only, read my original post for installation instructions and caveats.
Changes (as best I can remember):
Reps and Load now display on same graph
Total duration graph added
Conditioning and Cardio distance added to Volume bar chart
Volume/Intensity score added to Climbing Progress chart
some cosmetic tweaks

groovedog

• addict
#22 Re: Klimb Training Software
June 26, 2011, 09:51:30 am
struggling to get this to work. Installed latest java via link, renamed the extension to .jar but where do you get it to 'install' you mention click install but where and on which bit of the file. Trying to work it on windows 7. Any help much appreciated. Appologies in advance for my incompetence!

Serpico

• forum hero
#23 Re: Klimb Training Software
June 26, 2011, 10:45:54 am
You should have downloaded the original program 'installklimb.jar', you can't skip straight the later versions without installing that first, and you only need to rename the file extension if your computer thinks it's a zip file and not a jar file, which shouldn't happen with the latest version of java installed. Can you check all the above and try again and post back with the results?

Serpico

• forum hero
#24 Re: Klimb Training Software
June 26, 2011, 10:49:32 am
you mention click install but where and on which bit of the file.

There should only be one file - did the original appear as a zip folder and you've extracted the files?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal