UKBouldering.com

Planet Fear St. Bees Bouldering Festival (Read 28021 times)

Greg C

• forum hero
Planet Fear St. Bees Bouldering Festival
April 07, 2011, 09:25:58 am
Apologies for posting this here, as I know my blog post on the matter was fed into the ‘Blog Pile’ feed. But basically as Planet Fear have now started using rather un-sporting tactics – mail shot ALL their users asking them to ‘urgently vote’ and put up a UKC Premier Post saying similar, and at no point in all this referenced (linked) my counter argument, a courtesy which I bestowed on them in my piece on the matter – I think people deserve the chance to see both sides of the argument.

Planet Fear’s Stance
http://www.planetfear.com/news/The_St_Bees_Bouldering_Festival_2662.html

Planet Fear’s Poll
http://www.facebook.com/planetFear

LakesBloc's Stance
http://lakesbloc.blogspot.com/2011/04/planet-fear-corporate-express.html

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Would vote ("Nay") but am not on Farcebook.

Doesn't seem like a sensible venue for this at all.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
Would vote ("Nay") but am not on Farcebook.

Me too.
I see there's a thread over on the Borg.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Have voted Nay.

The place is too sensitive from an ecological, geological and access point of view for events like this.

chris05

• forum abuser
I have also voted 'no', would keep on voting against if i could.

Paul B

• forum hero
what a terrible idea.

tc

• junky
This made me angry:
"Some local climbing activists (...) will no doubt stay away for the duration of the event, and return when they can have ‘their' crag back."

I find that pretty disrespectful.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
This made me angry:
"Some local climbing activists (...) will no doubt stay away for the duration of the event, and return when they can have ‘their' crag back."

Just to be clear - that was Planetfear who said that rather than Greg C the whole quote being:

"Some local climbing activists, used to having the area pretty much to themselves, have voiced opposition to the event, citing access, environmental, and erosion concerns. They were not aware of the steps we are planning to take to mitigate these, outlined above. They will no doubt stay away for the duration of the event, and return when they can have ‘their' crag back"

Idol eyes

• junky
Not a good idea... sensitive access issues exists! Negative, really nice idea though.

Idol eyes

• junky
...if that makes sense??? Opp's...

SA Chris

• forum hero
vote is now 97 in favour to 94 opposed, so it's pulled back considerably. I wonder at what point they actually realise it's a bad idea.

andybfreeman

• menacing presence
voted no

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
97 / 97   :clap2:

chris05

• forum abuser
vote is now 97 in favour to 94 opposed, so it's pulled back considerably. I wonder at what point they actually realise it's a bad idea.

Just read this:

"Please note the poll will end on Wednesday 13th April 2010, so we can sort things out in time, one way or another, once we have had a consensus of opinion"

From: http://www.planetfear.com/news/The_St_Bees_Bouldering_Festival_2662.html

Will be interesting to see their response if it stays this tight (would obviously be better if the no's could get an outright win), hope they dont take their lead from the current political system

Paul B

• forum hero
Everyone is welcome to their opinion of course but I was pretty shocked by one or two who voted 'aye'.

Stubbs

100/96 against now!

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
How much of a difference is required for a PlanetFear "consensus"?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
How much of a difference is required for a PlanetFear "consensus"?

Good job there's no "Pink Anasazi" or "Pain au chocolate" option otherwise we would need to implement an AV system of voting!

mikomon

I haven't polled yet as I'm not on Faceache and didn't wish to register on the PF website and receive any marketing but I now think that's a small price to pay for a vote. I initially thought the roped path was the access which appalled me in terms of the consequences of a slip and the erosion. I still think the venue is questionable in terms of evacuating a potential casualty. 

The aspect that truly fucks me off is indeed the PF attitude in reacting to the situation. Please tell me I'm wrong to suggest that it's an exercise in developing a "hardcore, grass roots, blah" image for a wider audience at the expense of the wishes of many aficionados (ie not just locals) of the place. Why are there no posts on here in favour of the event so far? Because noone involved is involved with the wider world of bouldering?

At the end of the day I'm delighted to think that other people will be introduced to "my" crag, after all someone once took me and the experiences subsequent trips have provided have been fantastic, from meagre crushing to seal and dolphin spotting. I just don't like being talked down to by a business. So no BMC support, no link with DMM anymore, a frosty attitude to the very scene they wish to be a part of...

Thanks for listening, feel better to have straightened   

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
This made me angry:

:agree: Local activists are somehow the bad guys? For fucks sake.

SA Chris

• forum hero
I still think the venue is questionable in terms of evacuating a potential casualty. 

Didn't fiend or someone's girlfriend break their leg falling while getting down to the boudlers?

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
100/96 against now!

Whoops, accidentally voted yes while messing around, so voted no again. Doh

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
I still think the venue is questionable in terms of evacuating a potential casualty. 

Didn't fiend or someone's girlfriend break their leg falling while getting down to the boudlers?

Dunno, but I fell backwards down between boulders just above Undercooke, was really lucky.

andy_e

• forum hero
You were really lucky to fall?  :P

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal