UKBouldering.com

review: metolius colosus (Read 6155 times)

ducko

• junky
review: metolius colosus
March 02, 2011, 12:02:55 am
recently bought a metolius colosus pad,

this bad boy

initial thoughts are its pretty compace when packed up, folds out to an awsomely large size, padding is not really thick but for the likes of long traversy lines (like in pariselas cave) its ideal as it covers a large area, althou its not bad for taking a higher fall!

material seems pretty tough (i already have a small pad by metolius and thats holding up well)
its fits nicely in the back of my VW polo along with my other pad and all my other gear,
you can attach another pad too the back of the colosus, which is handy as i can carry both pads on my back at the same time!

so as a brief review from my inital use of the pad, im impressed with it, its especially ideal for longer routes and take a landing well but not as good as somethicker pads, its also very handy when you have a dodgy area to cover as its so large!
also make as great thing too sit on which is important when your a lazy cake muncher like me  :smart:

hope some people find this basic review useful,
ill update it after further use if there anything more to say on this item!

« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 04:11:41 am by thesiger, Reason: sorted out url »

account_inactive

• forum hero
#1 Re: review: metolius colosus
March 02, 2011, 09:38:04 pm
A pad that fits into a boot space is pretty cool.  I'm still not sold on the 3 fold pad design for longevity.  The diagonal cuts in the mat work well now but will they be OK when the pad softens ups a bit.

We thought that was you in the Cave today Ducko  :wave:

ducko

• junky
#2 Re: review: metolius colosus
March 02, 2011, 09:47:45 pm
A pad that fits into a boot space is pretty cool.  I'm still not sold on the 3 fold pad design for longevity.  The diagonal cuts in the mat work well now but will they be OK when the pad softens ups a bit.

We thought that was you in the Cave today Ducko  :wave:

ahh yes I was there for a brief time today yeah cave was full of pads today!

Made the poor choice of having a bath then climbing rookie error! Skin lasted about half an hour doh..  :wall:

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#3 Re: review: metolius colosus
March 02, 2011, 09:56:02 pm
what do you need skin for in the cave?
conditions were great today, good scene as well

ducko

• junky
#4 Re: review: metolius colosus
March 02, 2011, 10:12:40 pm
what do you need skin for in the cave?
conditions were great today, good scene as well
I agree, usually you don't but managed to ruin the ends of two of my fingers somehow..
Tell you what I do need for the cave a big Vw van for cleaning off those hard to reach holds

ADC

#5 Re: review: metolius colosus
March 04, 2011, 12:38:18 pm
I bought one of these monsters when I was out in Squamish and then dragged it back to the UK (at vast expense) after failing to offload it to anyone in BC...

I agree with what you've said, especially about the somewhat thin padding, but my principal criticism of the pad it around its lack of carrying capacity.

As far as I can tell (and VERY happy for people to point out where I'm going wrong) there is no really secure way of stuffing the accoutrements of bloddering into the main cavity for transport. There's a smallish pocket along the bottom flap but, in comparison with my DMM taco-style mat or my Metolius Cheap Bastard, you can't securely use the void created by folding the mat up due to the single latch. I found that things stuffed into the fold often worked free and fell out.

That said, it's a pretty good mat and is always first choice for folk to sit on to eat lunch.

ducko

• junky
#6 Re: review: metolius colosus
March 04, 2011, 12:48:12 pm
fair point there! i do agree,
im fortunate enough too have a bag covered in ladybirds for carrying my shoes thou!  :P

Paul B

• forum hero
#7 Re: review: metolius colosus
March 07, 2011, 01:41:23 am
I fondled one of these in Outside this weekend.

It seemed noticably thinner than my Moon pad and far too expensive for just one more fold (I still don't think it'd fit into the boot of the car either)!

ducko

• junky
#8 Re: review: metolius colosus
March 07, 2011, 08:03:31 pm
it fits in the back on my vw polo perfectly, is not massivly thick but ive had a few falls and its seems well also i got mine for 215 not sure how much they go for in otherplaces

Paul B

• forum hero
#9 Re: review: metolius colosus
March 07, 2011, 09:53:15 pm
It was £280, but even at your price you're still way more than a Saturn.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#10 Re: review: metolius colosus
March 07, 2011, 11:09:24 pm
.....and from the USA.  Why not buy from a UK company?

ducko

• junky
#11 Re: review: metolius colosus
March 08, 2011, 07:27:16 am
 ouch 280's alot of dosh,
I went to the store intending to buy a big mat as I climb alone alot and that's the best they had, I do buy other gear from Uk companys it is important to support them but at the time I was after a big mat

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal