UKBouldering.com

possible log-in change - feedback and votes please (Read 6430 times)

ukb

• Administrator
  • regular
Bubba thinks this is the way forward. Anyone have any concerns or problems? All registered users already have email addresses registered at the site - you can find yours at your profile.

An obvious problem is infrequent users who aren't aware of the change in procedure and have forgotten their registered email address. This can obviously be solved by a manual process (email the admins) but some people may not be arsed ...

nik at work

• forum hero
Assuming it worked it would be a hell of a lot less hassle than having to sign back in every five minutes. Go for it.

tomtom

• forum hero
DAMN.

I was going to vote for unfair to spambots but then thought I ought to be sensible and vote for no problem...

I WANT AV!

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
Haven't been affected by the issue but go for whatever seems the most obvious solution to the problem

Dr T

• forum hero
was very tempted to vote for "sesame honey baklava" but seeing as this is a sensible question tried to be vaguely helpful for a change and voted for the more helpful (I hope) "no problem"
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 06:40:23 pm by Dr T »

Micky Connor

• every rule implies its' transgression
was very tempted to vote for "sesame honey baklava" but seeing as this is a sensible question tried to be vaguely helpful for a changed and votes for themore helpful (I hope) "no problem"

I assumed that it was a scale of not botheredness.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
all my puters are on life time log in..

and me gay phone...

does this affect me?
can i remember the email address i used back in the day to register..? can i fuck... damn.. email was like a new thing then!!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

Just look in your profile/"account settings" and it'll show you the email you registered with - you can also update it to something current at the same time.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
The voting bars now look like ET showing the finger. Turned sideways.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

As of late last night, a developer has published a fix which for the time being has knocked this problem on the head.

Of course, once the bot designers catch up, it's possible that it will start up again, but for now I think we can stall on implementing the email logins.

This problem is now affecting all sorts of forums, not just SMF ones - fight the spam!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Forum already supports OpenID doesn't it?

How many people don't have a google/twitter/facebook/myspace/paypal/wordpress/yahoo!/blogger account that can be used to sign-in via OpenID?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Although it can be done, there is no easy way of enabling OpenID for existing forum users, it's only really for new registrations so it wouldn't be a great deal of help for this problem. 

I doubt many people here are logging in using OpenID. It'd also be a nightmare to try to get everyone to convert to OpenID even if it were possible, a lot of people can't even remember the email address they signed up with or how to find it.

Duma

• forum hero
Forum already supports OpenID doesn't it?

How many people don't have a google/twitter/facebook/myspace/paypal/wordpress/yahoo!/blogger account that can be used to sign-in via OpenID?
I don't

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
You may already have one as they're not the only accounts that can be used with OpenID (see link for more details).

andybfreeman

• menacing presence
Assuming it worked it would be a hell of a lot less hassle than having to sign back in every five minutes. Go for it.

:agree:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

As the problem has been (possibly only temporarily) knocked on the head I'm locking this topic.

Thanks for all the votes in any case.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal