UKBouldering.com

Serious Delirium - the coffee thread (Read 212010 times)

rich d

• forum hero
#250 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
January 02, 2014, 05:02:36 pm
Nice idea Fultonius, that's going to be my treat if I can do a week with no alcohol. (I'll need good coffee by then)

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#251 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
January 02, 2014, 08:05:08 pm
Can anyone recommend me a cheaper end of the scale grinder....?

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
#252 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
January 02, 2014, 08:24:03 pm
Adam, just don't get one that slices the beans. The ones that crush (i think there is a different word that coffee bofs use - burr maybe?) are the ticket. The cheapest Krupps slicer is not a good move. What's your budget?

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#253 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
January 02, 2014, 08:25:32 pm
What is your brewing process? Aeropress, epsresso, filter etc?

For espresso you can just get away with a Krups GVX 2 - £40 or a This looks like the replacement for what I have - £73

If it's for French Press any old blade grinder should be fine. (the above should be ok too)

If it's for aeropress or a hario v60 etc. you could probably save some pennies and get a Porlex Hand Grinder - good for travelling too at around £23.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#254 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
January 02, 2014, 08:35:46 pm
Cheers guys. I mainly use espresso. I have a gaggia classic. Occasionally use a french press too when in the van. So something suitable for both. Budget is hopefully sub 100. Ideally less!

Gallant

• player
#255 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
January 02, 2014, 09:21:17 pm
I picked up one of these: http://www.pumphreys-coffee.co.uk/products/view/921/ a few months back and it seems to be seeing me right. I'm using it with a chemex though, so I guess the fineness of grind is less of an issue for me. It is adjustable, a burr grinder, and under £100 so it's at least an option. It's not their cheapest either, I think they do a smaller option for a tenner or so less.

petejh

• forum hero
#256 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
January 02, 2014, 09:30:28 pm
Adam, just don't get one that slices the beans. The ones that crush (i think there is a different word that coffee bofs use - burr maybe?) are the ticket. The cheapest Krupps slicer is not a good move. What's your budget?

http://www.drbunsen.org/coffee-experiments/

I've got a burr grinder and a blade grinder. I don't notice any taste difference between the two on my aeropress.

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#257 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
January 02, 2014, 10:10:42 pm
Cheers guys. I mainly use espresso. I have a gaggia classic. Occasionally use a french press too when in the van. So something suitable for both. Budget is hopefully sub 100. Ideally less!

For the Classic (my dad has one), I'd say the two I listed would do you ok. Unfortunately the next price jump is a big one. I've been looking for an upgrade but even second hand on ebay it's hard to find something good (Baratza etc.) for under £200 which I just can't justify right now.

Both are burr grinders - I have the Krupps GVX2 as a spice grinder but I have never ground coffee to see if you can get it fine enough for a good espresso. The old dualit one was fine for a fey years, but then I had to modify it to get a fine enough grind. Hopefully the newer version is better. (it *was* a fairly easy mod but I don't know if you can do the same thing with the new one.)

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
#258 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
January 02, 2014, 11:24:15 pm

http://www.drbunsen.org/coffee-experiments/

I've got a burr grinder and a blade grinder. I don't notice any taste difference between the two on my aeropress.

Sounds like your taste buds are shot!

rich d

• forum hero
#259 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
January 08, 2014, 09:43:06 am
Does anyone make coffee at the crag? I can't stand the taste of coffee from our flask, so was wondering what set ups if any people use? It would be for me and the wife, (the kids can have hot chocolate out of the flask.) 

turnipturned

• forum abuser
#260 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
January 08, 2014, 09:59:51 am
Can you not take some boiling water in a flask and use an areopress? http://www.aeropresscoffee.co.uk/ makes a nice coffee on the quick.

Otherwise do the same thing but with a cafetiere, I have a good one from Bodum which also keep it warm, comes with to lids as well so you can press it, change lids and then drink it: http://www.poshrosh.co.uk/ProductsInfo.aspx?pId=67429&pType=Product&gclid=CMWb9dio7rsCFUbKtAod1FYAEA

Hope that helps!

rich d

• forum hero
#261 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
January 08, 2014, 12:19:18 pm
Cheers turnipturned, was thinking of getting a cafeteria/filter thing.

Went to http://www.thecoffeehouseofnottingham.co.uk/ for a cuppa today. Great range of coffee, knowledgeable bloke serving it, and tasted bloody great. Think I've found my place for beans. If you're in Nottingham I'd recommend it.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
DRM* Coffee

* Digital Rights Management

Paul B

• forum hero
Can I once again canvas opinions on coffee machines (please).

I've been a bit spoilt in that where I've just ended my employment there was a very fancy coffee machine which I was allowed to play with (and drink the spoils). My home, stovetop Biacletti offering now seems...well...a bit sh*t in comparison (and yes, I did declare the opposite a number of years ago here).

I have some wedding vouchers left over for John Lewis so ideally it'd come from there and not cost the earth. Likely I'd need to consider grinding options too?

underground

• forum hero
I won't comment on choice Paul (my Nespresso suits me fine for the balance between convenience and quality of coffee) but increasingly I'm choosing John Lewis over slightly cheaper purchase options when I can as they seem to be offering 2/3 year warranty on all their products as standard

Gallant

• player
So, I'm looking at taking my first steps into an electric grinder and home espresso machine set up. I've been informed that a 2/3 - 1/3 ratio of spending on grinder to machine is most sensical, given grind consistency has far more impact on the sort of shot you pull with a smaller machine (due to water tank size, and thus, inconsistent heating, pressurisation, etc.) and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions regard to one / both products. Whether this be what to aim for or what to avoid entirely. I've not really set a budget per se, but I'd guess a ball park £300-350? (Is that reasonable given I'm willing to buy second hand kit, and don't mind fiddling about replacing burrs, steam wands and the like?)
Cheers in advance, hopefully I've not been too vague, or my question hasn't been previously asked and answered.

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
Baratza Vario always comes up highly in reviews etc. I doubt there's anyone on here that's spent £350 on a grinder (mine was only £70) so I don't know if you'll get much help.

If you could find a second hand Mazzer Super Jolly that would also probably be good.

Gallant

• player
Sorry, it was £350 for the grinder and espresso machine, not per item. I've been looking at trying to get a Vario or a Rancilio Rocky second hand at present (with more Rockys coming up second hand on ebay). I'll try looking for a Mazzer Super Jolly, but it's a reasonably futile search on ebay.
Any suggestions on the espresso machine itself? I've been looking at the Gaggia classic at present, but with people complaining about the steam wand being a bit naff (I'm using it to develop my barista'ing at home along side working as a barista) I'm not entirely sure it's the machine for me, although I'm intrigued about putting the rancilio silvia's steam wand on one, as apparently it's a decent fix.

Andy W

• forum abuser
    • http://andywhall.com/
I've got a gaggia classic, for the price its reliable robust and tried and tested, can't fault it. I've got a bodum electric bur grinder, I spent much longer researching this and was more confused by the choice. The Bodum works fine and does all grind types ie it works as well as the commercial grinders I've used.

This combo should fit your budget. Worth noting that the gaggia these days often come with a shit basket and gimicky plastic thing, throw them away and buy a basket online.

Paul B

• forum hero
Swapping the steamwand looks like childs play too.

rich d

• forum hero
#270 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
December 10, 2014, 10:12:29 am
If anyone's in Nottingham, found a new coffee place 200' C coffee, roasts it's own beans etc great tasting coffee. Just off market square - good alternative to the chains. (although a bit hipsterish inside)

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#271 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
December 10, 2014, 11:32:03 am
If anyone's in Nottingham, found a new coffee place 200' C coffee, roasts it's own beans etc great tasting coffee. Just off market square - good alternative to the chains. (although a bit hipsterish inside)

Hipsterishness can often be warning sign of horrible barely-roasted, thin, acid coffee. Tho' apparently not in this case.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#272 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
December 14, 2014, 07:40:08 pm
Considering a bean to espresso home gadget.

Some thing like this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sage-Blumenthal-Barista-Express-Machine/dp/B00CI32S9I/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Needs not to plumbing mandatory. Open to suggestions.

£500 would be my price point.

Cheers...

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#273 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
December 14, 2014, 08:19:38 pm
If I get my own grinder.. Which seems to be the best option... This is cheap, self cleans and generates a reasonable pressure?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/DeLonghi-Stainless-Premium-EC860-M-Espresso/dp/B0091EJWWS/ref=sr_1_13?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1418587896&sr=1-13#customerReviews

tomtom

• forum hero
#274 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
December 14, 2014, 08:19:56 pm
That's not a bean to cup machine. It's a grinder, express thingy in one silver box.

Iirc at the budget end there is Delhongi, or Phillips/Saeco. Most of the machines I their ranges have the same grinder and water unt but with different displays/size tanks etc....

We've had three for work (two second hand) and at the moment we're on a Phillips which is fine - also I got from JLewis for two year warranty.

Can provide more advice if you have any specific models - spent a bit of time researching this over the years (but am no expert)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal