UKBouldering.com

Will squats make my forearms bigger? (Read 34547 times)

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#50 Re: Will squats make my forearms bigger?
January 27, 2011, 01:27:45 pm
Nowt wrong with deep squats if you do them right. I'd suggest knee's bowing out is indicating a muscle weakness somewhere (wild guess). I've been doing deep squats up to 60kg as rehab for my fucked knee!

esox

#51 Re: Will squats make my forearms bigger?
January 28, 2011, 12:05:59 pm

:thumbsup:

The Bolton complex #1 ™

Military Press/ Overhead Squat x6  Curl the DB's to your shoulders, squat, do a military press, stand up, squat down, lower the DB's to shoulders and repeat.
Upright row x6
High pull snatch x6
Press ups on DBs x6 Press ups using the DB's as supports/handles
Straight arm Pullover x6 Roll on to your back arms extended (like Superman) and raise the DB's above your head with straight arms.
Bent Over rows x10

This looks good, especially the OHS/Press combination.
I've been looking for something similar to do with kettlebell(s) for overall strenght increase. Any other variations/ideas?

webbo

• forum hero
#52 Re: Will squats make my forearms bigger?
January 28, 2011, 12:33:31 pm
having yet again attempted those overhead squat things.I'm even more convinced they are another Lancashire myth.

chris05

• forum abuser
#53 Re: Will squats make my forearms bigger?
January 28, 2011, 12:37:51 pm
having yet again attempted those overhead squat things.I'm even more convinced they are another Lancashire myth.

I had a go last night, they seemed fine, even though I'm in Nottingham. ;)

Did used to do quite a bit of weight work when I was younger, I guess starting off with dumb bells rather than a bar may make a difference if you haven't done much in the way of squats, deadlifts etc. previously?

webbo

• forum hero
#54 Re: Will squats make my forearms bigger?
January 28, 2011, 12:44:38 pm
yes I suppose not having done much weight training with a bar might make a difference but who are you referring too.

chris05

• forum abuser
#55 Re: Will squats make my forearms bigger?
January 28, 2011, 12:53:58 pm
Sorry should read :

I did used to do quite a bit of weight work when I was younger (although far from an expert), I guess starting off with dumb bells rather than a bar may make a difference if you haven't done much in the way of squats, deadlifts etc. previously?

sidewinder

• obsessive maniac
#56 Re: Will squats make my forearms bigger?
January 28, 2011, 01:20:17 pm
Tried the OHS with DBs, felt hard/good, struggled with the form though, going to practice with nothing, a broom handle and get my weight lifting friend to have a look.  I can confirm that the way I was doing them works very well to aggravate the arch of your foot if recently strained.

webbo

• forum hero
#57 Re: Will squats make my forearms bigger?
January 28, 2011, 01:41:14 pm
Sorry should read :

I did used to do quite a bit of weight work when I was younger (although far from an expert), I guess starting off with dumb bells rather than a bar may make a difference if you haven't done much in the way of squats, deadlifts etc. previously?
thats what i thought you meant.but what i was implying was i'm not just starting off weight training for the first time and only using dumbells.

chris05

• forum abuser
#58 Re: Will squats make my forearms bigger?
January 28, 2011, 01:46:42 pm
Sorry should read :

thats what i thought you meant.but what i was implying was i'm not just starting off weight training for the first time and only using dumbells.

Fair enough, thats why I said "if you haven't done much".

webbo

• forum hero
#59 Re: Will squats make my forearms bigger?
January 28, 2011, 01:57:31 pm
yes I suppose not having done much weight training with a bar might make a difference but who are you referring too.
and thats why i put this. i can cope with being inept and incompetent but not through a lack of experience. :-[

chris05

• forum abuser
#60 Re: Will squats make my forearms bigger?
January 28, 2011, 02:06:46 pm
Isn't lack of experience the best excuse?  :)

You can tell its friday afternoon from a conversation like this!  :kiss2:

webbo

• forum hero
#61 Re: Will squats make my forearms bigger?
January 28, 2011, 02:20:36 pm
not when you are my age.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#62 Re: Will squats make my forearms bigger?
January 30, 2011, 07:16:40 am
I wonder if most people (muggles) can lie down with backs flat against the floor with arms stretched out behind them in the same line and also in contact with the floor?

I can now lie on my back and get the backs of my hands on the floor quite easily (albeit with some lumbar arch, and only my hands not my whole arm on the floor). I couldn't do this in my twenties. I do broomstick overhead squats as part of my general warmup/mobility routine, and I think they make a significant contribution to this.

webbo

• forum hero
#63 Re: Will squats make my forearms bigger?
January 30, 2011, 09:07:49 pm
i suspect the only way i would get the backs  my hands on the floor would be if someone stood on my hands.

webbo

• forum hero
#64 Re: Will squats make my forearms bigger?
February 01, 2011, 07:53:59 pm
i have been trying to touch the back of my hands on the floor as part of my stretching regime.so far i can get the whole of my left to touch but only the finger of my right.however it now feel as though someone has been stamping between my shoulder blades.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#65 Re: Will squats make my forearms bigger?
February 01, 2011, 09:18:37 pm
i have been trying to touch the back of my hands on the floor as part of my stretching regime.

Things that seem to have helped me with this:
  • dislocates, but with a bungee not a stick, and only going back to the point of greatest stretch not all the way back. Push the chest out, shoulder blades together, pull outwards on the bungee.
  • Overhead squats with a broomstick.
  • Arm circles - but more emphasis on small, controlled circles with the arms horizontal than huge, uncontrolled windmills.
  • Yoga downward dog - emphasis on pushing hands down and butt up, shoulders stay down not up by the ears, emphasis on making the line of the back & arms straight & long *not* sagging down into the shoulders by trying to get the head towards the floor.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 09:24:41 pm by Muenchener »

webbo

• forum hero
#66 Re: Will squats make my forearms bigger?
February 02, 2011, 10:42:11 am
cheers i will give those a go.but i need to be careful with adding more exs to my already seemingley spending most of my life trying get my body to work routine.

douglas

• obsessive maniac
#67 Re: Will squats make my forearms bigger?
February 02, 2011, 10:51:30 am
i have been trying to touch the back of my hands on the floor as part of my stretching regime.so far i can get the whole of my left to touch but only the finger of my right.however it now feel as though someone has been stamping between my shoulder blades.

You should keep your back straight doing that stretch. Does that even things out?

sheavi

• menacing presence
#68 Re: Will squats make my forearms bigger?
February 02, 2011, 11:24:21 am
The high snatch exercise with a flexed low back in the video looks dubious.

webbo

• forum hero
#69 Re: Will squats make my forearms bigger?
February 02, 2011, 12:35:16 pm

You should keep your back straight doing that stretch. Does that even things out?
in order to get anywhere i start with my feet flat on the floor back arched,hands flat on the floor.i then gradually straighten my legs lowering my back to floor during which time i try like hell to stop my hand lifting.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#70 Re: Will squats make my forearms bigger?
February 02, 2011, 01:05:44 pm

in order to get anywhere i start with my feet flat on the floor back arched,hands flat on the floor.i then gradually straighten my legs lowering my back to floor during which time i try like hell to stop my hand lifting.

How about sticking your hands under a barbell or the sofa or similar to stop them lifting. Ive tried starting in this position with my legs curled up then uncurling them whilst trying to stop my lower back arching up. Not sure how effective it is though. Another approach is have your arms out an angle so body forms a Y shape then move arms towards vertical in stages trying to relax into position with each move.

Theraband is likely to be the best way I suspect.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 01:34:23 pm by shark »

webbo

• forum hero
#71 Re: Will squats make my forearms bigger?
February 02, 2011, 02:04:23 pm
as i said somewhere higher up that i need someone to stand on my hands.however the only person who is avalible is mrs webbo who's opinon is "if these exercises are suppossed to keep you healthy and mobile.why are you always knackered and look like quasimodo"

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#72 Re: Will squats make my forearms bigger?
February 07, 2011, 09:47:34 pm
Here's a good article by Dan John extolling the virtues of the OHS.

http://danjohn.net/the-overhead-squat-article/

Krank

• junky
  • VIVA LA CHAPEL
  • Its meant to be hard
#73 Re: Will squats make my forearms bigger?
February 07, 2011, 10:12:16 pm
i stopped reading here

You can send your athletes to all the yoga classes in the world, but the overhead squat develops athletic flexibility.

he clearly knows nothing

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#74 Re: Will squats make my forearms bigger?
February 07, 2011, 10:31:13 pm
FWIW,  my hip flexiblity has improved tremendously since I started squatting (with and without weights) - far more than any stretching regime that I've tried before.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal