UKBouldering.com

Will squats make my forearms bigger? (Read 34576 times)

Paul B

• forum hero
#25 Re: Will squats make my forearms bigger?
January 26, 2011, 01:51:29 am
Weight training, especially hypertrophy, is still controversial with climbing coaches,

Do you think its likely to be quite body type specific as well? I seem to shed muscle faster than I lose skin on techy grit.

I havent yet been lured into joining the new gym in Sheffield, but given its ~£16 a month and has a full set of kettlebells I can't see it being long, possibly just one pulley injury away.

I notice that a lot of dudes who lift heavy weights have big forearms. You don't see people in gyms doing forearm curls much though, so I figured this was to do with simply holding/gripping the heavy weight so that your hands are loaded repeatedly - eg. during bicep curls, deadlifts or squats.

Big lifts on an olympic bar certainly hit the forearms.

webbo

• forum hero
#26 Re: Will squats make my forearms bigger?
January 26, 2011, 08:59:53 am
I did some of those Bolton complex exs with my ladybells to warm up for my finger board session.I then decided to do a set with 8k dumbells to finish,seemed ok on all the exs except that military press/squat thingy when I nearly managed to throw myself the length of the garage.
Is it possible for the mature gentleman to develop coordination.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#27 Re: Will squats make my forearms bigger?
January 26, 2011, 09:46:16 am
Thanks for the paper Serpico.  Is this the only study demonstrating this effect?  (I know I should just get on Scopus and looks myself).  Like Toby, I don't quite get the point of doing these "complexes" which are mainly working arm and shoulder muscles but in a rather non-specific fashion.  Is it to hypertrophy climbing agonists?  To strengthen antagonists or 'stability'  muscles?  To stimulate growth-hormone?  All of the above?

As it is useful to be able to stand-up effortlessly on one leg for rock-overs, deep single-leg squats might help stimulate growth-hormone whilst being reasonably specific to climbing.

ianv

• forum abuser
#28 Re: Will squats make my forearms bigger?
January 26, 2011, 10:29:56 am
Dead Lifts would probably be better than squats. You get the same growth effect as you are using big muscle groups, you get to strengthen the core and you are directly training grip.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#29 Re: Will squats make my forearms bigger?
January 26, 2011, 10:59:28 am
I've been doing a 'fun' exercise as part of a PE workout that goes.

Load the bar or bells under the fingerboard.

30 seconds of Deadlifting @ 75-100% bodyweight (pace for good form not speed)
30 secs deadhang on different holds.

Repeat for five rounds (no rest between sets). 5 mins in total.

This is aimed at PE rather than Strength though.

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
#30 Re: Will squats make my forearms bigger?
January 26, 2011, 12:30:59 pm
Thanks for the paper Serpico.  Is this the only study demonstrating this effect? 

When I googled for the study I'm sure the one I found that I posted wasn't the one I had in mind, but I may be confused...

I don't quite get the point of doing these "complexes" which are mainly working arm and shoulder muscles but in a rather non-specific fashion.  Is it to hypertrophy climbing agonists?  To strengthen antagonists or 'stability'  muscles?  To stimulate growth-hormone?  All of the above?

Because they use DBs they are a bit contrived, but the aim is to provide a supplemental full body workout that also incorporates some metabolic and cardio effects.

As it is useful to be able to stand-up effortlessly on one leg for rock-overs, deep single-leg squats might help stimulate growth-hormone whilst being reasonably specific to climbing.

The reason for the choice of OH squats was that they're an excellent core exercise as well the legs.

webbo

• forum hero
#31 Re: Will squats make my forearms bigger?
January 26, 2011, 01:16:32 pm
I've been doing a 'fun' exercise as part of a PE workout that goes.

Load the bar or bells under the fingerboard.

30 seconds of Deadlifting @ 75-100% bodyweight (pace for good form not speed)
30 secs deadhang on different holds.

Repeat for five rounds (no rest between sets). 5 mins in total.

This is aimed at PE rather than Strength though.
what sort of grip should you use for deadlifts.is it still one hand facing front the other facing back.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#32 Re: Will squats make my forearms bigger?
January 26, 2011, 01:41:29 pm
Below 75% max effort I use a straight overhand grip and above that the over/under grip.  However, I went for some Olympic lifting coaching before Christmas with Mark Clegg in Ashton and he advised using the over/under for all DL'ing to maintain proper form.  He did check out my posture though as some people can twist their shoulders accidentally.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#33 Re: Will squats make my forearms bigger?
January 26, 2011, 02:25:40 pm
The reason for the choice of OH squats was that they're an excellent core exercise as well the legs.

And balance..as Webbo found out. I am presuming its normal/ok to end up on your toes ?

Serpico

• forum hero
#34 Re: Will squats make my forearms bigger?
January 26, 2011, 02:54:52 pm

And balance..as Webbo found out. I am presuming its normal/ok to end up on your toes ?

Definitely not, squat through your heels. Try it barefoot or in flat soled shoes, don't let your heels lift. Try getting the DBs further behind you - over the shoulder blades, at the bottom of the squat.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#35 Re: Will squats make my forearms bigger?
January 26, 2011, 02:59:04 pm
I'm no expert but all the standard lifts should be driven from the heels.  Practising with a broom handle you should be able to wiggle your toes at any point during a lift.

Practising with air squats and facing wall squats is a great way to develop form and also improves hip flexibility and stretches the hamstrings and calves.

douglas

• obsessive maniac
#36 Re: Will squats make my forearms bigger?
January 26, 2011, 04:22:21 pm
I think for added clarification we need a UKB video featuring Shark demonstrating the routine and Serpico looking on.

Serpico

• forum hero
#37 Re: Will squats make my forearms bigger?
January 26, 2011, 04:24:08 pm
I think for added clarification we need a UKB video featuring Shark demonstrating the routine and Serpico looking on dismayed.

webbo

• forum hero
#38 Re: Will squats make my forearms bigger?
January 26, 2011, 04:37:43 pm

Definitely not, squat through your heels. Try it barefoot or in flat soled shoes, don't let your heels lift. Try getting the DBs further behind you - over the shoulder blades, at the bottom of the squat.

I can't get my arms slightly behind when their straight up even pushing on a door lintel.In fact I think I can only get them straight when I hang on them.
Should I just sack it off and take up bowls.

Serpico

• forum hero
#39 Re: Will squats make my forearms bigger?
January 26, 2011, 04:58:56 pm

I can't get my arms slightly behind when their straight up even pushing on a door lintel.In fact I think I can only get them straight when I hang on them.
Should I just sack it off and take up bowls.

It's a much easier exercise to understand and master if you do it with a bar first, so as mentioned above - practice with a broomstick. I really rate OH squats (with a barbell) for sorting out the typical climber's hunched posture.

How to OH squat
You won't be able to get your arms that far back, or as wide, with DBs, but it gives you an idea of the balance and helps with the stretch.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#40 Re: Will squats make my forearms bigger?
January 26, 2011, 05:28:26 pm
I think for added clarification we need a UKB video featuring Shark demonstrating the routine and Serpico looking on dismayed.

:lol:

I think my problem is the same as Webbo's insofar as I cant put my arms up straight yet (at least not without effort and things cracking in my shoulders or bending my back) although after over a year of stretches, some yoga and some excellent physio advice my posture is significantly improved and my shoulders can rest against the floor when I lie on my back.

I wonder if most people (muggles) can lie down with backs flat against the floor with arms stretched out behind them in the same line and also in contact with the floor?

Krank

• junky
  • VIVA LA CHAPEL
  • Its meant to be hard
#41 Re: Will squats make my forearms bigger?
January 26, 2011, 09:36:44 pm
I tried a few over head squats with a barbel tonight and found getting bar behind my head ok and after a good bit of wobbling around i managed to get the weight on my heels while squatting down. I found that the move targeted the muscles in my back with very little strain anywhere else, i feel my form was ok as the weight i was lifting was very light. What I'm wondering is,

1, is this the correct target area?
2, is this showing a major weak link?
3, am i doing the exercise incorrectly?

Cheers

Serpico

• forum hero
#42 Re: Will squats make my forearms bigger?
January 26, 2011, 09:57:49 pm
Can't comment on your form but your experience sounds much like mine, in addition I find it really hits my shoulders as well.
More on Form.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#43 Re: Will squats make my forearms bigger?
January 26, 2011, 10:12:19 pm
If you're practising these lifts. Use a rack or props for anything overhead to save the effort involved in a clean or snatch and a 7ft Olympic bar with two 5kg plastic practice plates is plenty of weight to encourage good form.

Krank

• junky
  • VIVA LA CHAPEL
  • Its meant to be hard
#44 Re: Will squats make my forearms bigger?
January 26, 2011, 10:23:32 pm
cheers Serpico, i was thinking my back is probably just the weak link. FD, i was only lifting 8kg, just trying to develop some form so i don't knacker myself later on.

webbo

• forum hero
#45 Re: Will squats make my forearms bigger?
January 27, 2011, 08:42:05 am
If you're practising these lifts. Use a rack or props for anything overhead to save the effort involved in a clean or snatch and a 7ft Olympic bar with two 5kg plastic practice plates is plenty of weight to encourage good form.

so you wouldn't advise attempting these in a garage complete with 4bikes,bouldering mats,washer,tumble dryer,wardrobe,shelves and a couple of cats that want to get in on the action.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#46 Re: Will squats make my forearms bigger?
January 27, 2011, 09:17:49 am
Depends how big the garage is, non?

webbo

• forum hero
#47 Re: Will squats make my forearms bigger?
January 27, 2011, 11:28:54 am
searching all the threads for peoples not quite specific points could be ever so slightly OCD. ;)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#48 Re: Will squats make my forearms bigger?
January 27, 2011, 11:32:35 am
searching all the threads for peoples not quite specific points could be ever so slightly OCD. ;)

I don't search all the threads I just read "Unread posts since last visit" (link top right of page just to the right of your avatar), the smart way of "browsing" the forum  ;)

Rocksteady

• forum abuser
  • Crank
  • Hotter than the sun!
#49 Re: Will squats make my forearms bigger?
January 27, 2011, 12:59:21 pm
RE: overhead squats/deep squat position - I'm always worried that my knees start to wobble out to the sides, which seems like a bad idea under pressure. I was under the impression that squatting under 90 degrees presented a risk of 'knee shear' and was to be avoided.

Is the knee wobble to do with poor core/flexibility? Or is it unavoidable?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal