UKBouldering.com

Achilles tendon / heel pain (Read 2003 times)

205Chris

• forum hero
Achilles tendon / heel pain
January 07, 2011, 06:06:52 pm
I seem to have developed a serious pain at the base of my achilles tendon where it joins the heel when wearing rock shoes. It's come on pretty quickly over the last 4 weeks or so and I can't think of a specific incident that might have triggered it.

Wearing normal shoes is OK but putting on my climbing shoes (which I've had for ages - not a new pair) leads to severe pain within a few minutes and makes climbing unbearable.

I'm pretty sure it's not bursitis as I've had that before and this is far more painful. It's only affecting the left foot as well, the right foot is fine.

Anyone had anything similar who can share some knowledge? I figure rest and ice are the way forward for the time being. Any benefit to seeing a podiatrist or anything?

Any knowledge greatly appreciated.

The Sausage

• forum abuser
#1 Re: Achilles tendon / heel pain
January 07, 2011, 07:03:57 pm
Certainly sounds like some sort of Achilles tendinopathy.

Is your Achilles swollen at all?
Does it 'creak' on movement?

Sounds like ice/rest/ibuprofen and see if it settles.

If not, probably GP is first port of call.

205Chris

• forum hero
#2 Re: Achilles tendon / heel pain
January 07, 2011, 07:22:37 pm
Thanks for the reply. I'm booked in to see my GP but the earliest appointment I could get was a week on Monday.

It feels slightly swollen when comparing to the right one but I still seem to have full range of movement without any noticeable creaking.

rodma

• forum hero
#3 Re: Achilles tendon / heel pain
January 09, 2011, 10:35:38 am
I had something similar, but my achilles was about the size of a golfball.

Wen't to physio and I needed special inserts for my shoes (normal, not rock) and that sorted it out within a few weeks (and a couple of hundred quid  :thumbsdown: )

Nick B

• addict
#4 Re: Achilles tendon / heel pain
January 09, 2011, 10:46:37 am
it sounds like I had the same thing as you. Basically you've got tendonosis, which is legions in the tendon so there shouldn't be any swelling. There is a good exercise where you stand up on your tip toes and then very slowly lower down on the foot with the bad heel. Do sets of 3x15, 3 times a day. If it gets too easy, add weight otherwise the exercise won't do anything. Lots of calf and hamstring stretches are good too. If it gets any worse, go and see a physio and maybe get some acupuncture.

dan lane

• regular
#5 Re: Achilles tendon / heel pain
January 09, 2011, 11:54:38 am
Yes, sounds very much like tendonosis, i had it last year. I would suggest stop wearing rock shoes until it has gone, and be careful not to put significant force through it. and do those exercises suggested.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal