UKBouldering.com

Poor Preview in Vegas Editing 550d footage? (Read 3259 times)

Paul B

• forum hero
Poor Preview in Vegas Editing 550d footage?
January 02, 2011, 05:31:32 pm
I finally got around to trying out the 550d for video recently and I just sat down to try and edit up the output but I'm having some trouble.

For some b/g information the camera output *.mov (h.264) files will play well with Quicktime and VLC but not with Media Player, in MP they're all over the place.

Vegas can play them fine in the 'cutter' window but as soon as they're on the timeline and playing through the preview the quality is seriously low (I can put the output to higher quality but it still isn't as good and is once again rubbish during transitions) and when there are transitions involved its so bad you can't tell what they look like (they render perfectly to 720p test output files.

The PC is a 6 core 4gb RAM with 1 of dedicated graphics and seems to be running at about 40% according to my system monitor.

I made sure to match my project settings to the input files.

Does anyone know what this might be? Do I NEED to convert to something else to edit them (I swear the few quick tests I did with the last PC didn't require this, in fact I'm certain it didn't)?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
I don't know much but Ben P's advice from the other thread might be relevant:

h264 (quicktime) is a very good codec for making things smaller but is a totally bad codec for editing as it is very processor intensive.

Its just the preview though, right? Rendered output is okay?

Paul B

• forum hero
I think that seems to be the crux of the matter and I found an old post of lagers re:Cineform...

Converted it using Matrox and this (originally found here)

which has solved the previewing issue but rather annoyingly added a tiny black edge to the L and R side of the outputs. This could just be a missed setting but I don't know yet.

Edit:
I'm guessing the black lines are due to it recorder 1920 x 1088 and the encoder not liking that very much.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 07:09:27 pm by Paul B »

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
Vegas hates h264

Which version of Vegas? If it's 9 0r 10 then you have the option of RAM preview - select the section of your project that you want to preview, from the tools menu select "create RAM preview" or something like that, then wait for it to create the preview - you'll know - then press the play button for your project. You can change the amount of RAM that Vegas uses from the tools/options menu.

How big is your preview window? If it's biggish then you won't get good quality - use RAM preview instead.

playing through the preview the quality is seriously low (I can put the output to higher quality but it still isn't as good and is once again rubbish during transitions)

Do you mean when you put the preview quality at a better setting (not draft or auto, but good or best) ?

Are these 1080p h264 files?

got to go, but will think about this later

Paul B

• forum hero
Pro 9

I've upped the dynamic ram preview with little effect, all the way up to 3000 ish.

Preview window: Small ish

Yes I mean turning it off Auto and onto Full/half etc.

yes 1080p h264 files (although in actuality they are 1920x1088 to f*ck things up nicely with the encoder I've found! All the crop/re-size settings fail)

EDIT (and I guess solved): Basically follow the tut. I linked and leave it set to "crop" in the resize options thus removing the pesky 8 pixels.

I can't wait until the real fun begins (magic lantern firmware + ext. mic) as to be frank, even with almost zero zooming the camera has picked up a ridiclous amount of general camera bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 07:37:11 pm by Paul B »

Paul B

• forum hero
To further compond the talking to myself post above I can add that Vegas Pro 10 can edit h.264 footage happily removing the need for an intermediately codec.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
[urlhttp://www.hv20.com/showthread.php?39377-New-Vegas-10-pretty-snappy/page2&highlight=vegas+10]Vegas Pro 10 [/url] 

good call, Paul

Paul B

• forum hero

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal