UKBouldering.com

Best 7 seater (Read 13335 times)

Dolly

• forum hero
Best 7 seater
December 22, 2010, 03:29:41 pm
Right, we've decided that we need a 7 seater.
With 3 kids, as soon as we need to take someone else along its a 2 car nightmare.
It would also be nice to have a bit more room for all the stuff we seem to take everywhere.
We'll be buying secondhand and don't want something too massive that is either the size of a transit or feels like one.

Thoughts so far are
Galaxy
S Max (seem expensive)
Grand Picasso
Chrysler Voyager ?

Any recommendations/experiences please ?

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#1 Re: Best 7 seater
December 22, 2010, 03:35:59 pm
This drives like a car..

This would maybe suits holidays/trips....

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#2 Re: Best 7 seater
December 22, 2010, 04:22:12 pm
I'd go with ford over french or yanky mobile

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#3 Re: Best 7 seater
December 22, 2010, 04:51:43 pm

Thoughts so far are
Galaxy
S Max (seem expensive)
Grand Picasso
Chrysler Voyager ?

Any recommendations/experiences please ?

A guy at work had a voyager and it was a fecking nightmare. If it was me I'd get the S-Maz but I must qualify this by saying I've not done any research as I don;t remotely need a 7-seater!

Palomides

• forum abuser
#4 Re: Best 7 seater
December 22, 2010, 05:01:16 pm
If it's for usually transporting 5 and sometimes 6 or 7 then I think the latest Berlingo and the Peugeot 307SW can stick an extra 2 seats in the back, and the Opel/vauxhall zafira has 2 fold-away seats.

They're only suitable for kids though - no leg room.

We're considering something like this for the next car. We only have 2 kids, but only one car, so when the Grandparents come a-visiting someone has to stay behind on outings.

Darren S

• addict
    • www.climbnewcastle.com
#5 Re: Best 7 seater
December 22, 2010, 05:57:16 pm
Chevrolet Astro with LPG conversion.
Lots of space and with the LPG, 45 mpg.

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#6 Re: Best 7 seater
December 22, 2010, 06:36:23 pm
i would suggest a minibus

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#7 Re: Best 7 seater
December 22, 2010, 10:51:39 pm

You can have a drive of mine, Dolly.

Not exactly car-like, but your kids will love it and you can get a good night's sleep on the bed if you are ever allowed an overnight pass.

Mine has the "don't fuck with me" body kit (inc steel girder in rear bumper, broken twat lights, peeling roof varnish and strategic dents), while Grumpycrumpy has the softer "brothel on wheels" option. He has also tested the function that allows you to mount a keg of beer on the rear bumper (yes really).

Not great over 70mph - the steering doesn't stiffen up, so you have to pay attention, but the luxury pilot seat plus cruise control makes 65mph time well spent.

Drive like a twat  :-[ up and down Peak/Sheffield's hills and you will only get 12mpg. Also LPG is now a whopping 74.9p a litre at Bramal Lane BP - compared to 48p when I bought my beast.

See what classic/american car insurance you can get for one as a second car.

If it's just a car you're after, then I'd have go on a berlingo/kangoo/doblo/etc type thing, although those temporary seats are not great.

Don't ever, ever buy a pre-2000 Previa. A burned out transit from a traveller site would be better.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#8 Re: Best 7 seater
December 23, 2010, 07:13:59 am
If you go for just-a-car, then you can always add roof rack/box and/or use a trailer for when you need to take lots of stuff with you. It costs extra to take a trailer on the ferry (I think).

I know someone who decided to get a Discovery plus trailer and they're very happy with it - kids actually enjoy those back seats.

A mate at work has a Zafira to fit their 5 kids in. He regrets having to get rid of their Multipla when the 5th one arrived. He said it was a great car. He doesn't like the Zafira - can't remember why.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 07:25:23 am by lagerstarfish »

grumpycrumpy

• junky
  • metrosexual redneck
#9 Re: Best 7 seater
December 23, 2010, 07:44:56 am

You can have a drive of mine, Dolly.

Not exactly car-like, but your kids will love it and you can get a good night's sleep on the bed if you are ever allowed an overnight pass.

Mine has the "don't fuck with me" body kit (inc steel girder in rear bumper, broken twat lights, peeling roof varnish and strategic dents), while Grumpycrumpy has the softer "brothel on wheels" option. He has also tested the function that allows you to mount a keg of beer on the rear bumper (yes really).

Not great over 70mph - the steering doesn't stiffen up, so you have to pay attention, but the luxury pilot seat plus cruise control makes 65mph time well spent.

Drive like a twat  :-[ up and down Peak/Sheffield's hills and you will only get 12mpg. Also LPG is now a whopping 74.9p a litre at Bramal Lane BP - compared to 48p when I bought my beast.

See what classic/american car insurance you can get for one as a second car.

If it's just a car you're after, then I'd have go on a berlingo/kangoo/doblo/etc type thing, although those temporary seats are not great.

Don't ever, ever buy a pre-2000 Previa. A burned out transit from a traveller site would be better.

A quick couple of tips for the perspective  Chevrolet Astro owner ( and trust me if you ever do drive one you'll want to own one ) ......

LPG is still 64.9 pence a litre at the Total garage on the ring road up near Darnall ......

Go to www.astrosafari.co.uk and join up ....... Cheap insurance and great tips , I spent a happy afternoon doing diagnostic tests on mine armed only with a paper clip , saved myself a fortune in garage fees ......

Space in the back when the seats  are up is not brilliant , so I don't think they're ideal for the three child family ....... But if you've got two or less this beast of a vehicle can't be beaten .......

tomtom

• forum hero
#10 Re: Best 7 seater
December 23, 2010, 08:54:43 am
I've never owned or driven one... but...

A good friend of mine who is a complete car nut (he's had a few alfa's, a TVR, ludicrously over chipped 900 turbo) and works designing car exhausts now has 3 nippers and he has a multipla. He recons is the best car he's had (for the purpose) the interal width apparently is really usefull in a - not wanting to kill all the other occupants because there is enough space to breathe - kind of way.

:shrug: in short he's the last person I'd expect to a. have one and b. like it....

Ah, just remembered my other friend Jamie has 3, and he's had a picaasa, and an espace grande whatsit (beast) - these were all new company car things.. and he's now on his second Mazda6 estate. He recons a big estate allows you to do most of what you can with the MPV - exept when you dont have all the familiy in it, it is a normal car... 

Darren S

• addict
    • www.climbnewcastle.com
#11 Re: Best 7 seater
December 23, 2010, 08:58:14 am
I have never had a problem with space issues in my Astro. If not seating seven I take out either the rear bench or the middle captain chairs to make more space. Actually at the moment my middle row is in Newcastle and my Astro is here in Holland.
Astrosafari is a great site for prospective owners and would recommend anyone to go there before looking at a possible purchase of these great vans. I rushed into buying mine a couple of years back and whilst I have been lucky I wish I had waited to get a AWD version with LPG.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#12 Re: Best 7 seater
December 23, 2010, 09:44:10 am
There are tons and tons of second hand picassos. No idea if that's because they are really good or really shit.

The Grand Picasso and Grand Espace do not feel like you are driving a car, they are blooody long.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#13 Re: Best 7 seater
December 23, 2010, 09:50:47 am
There's also the fact that driving a Lagerbus or something like a nice Mazda 6 Estate will still make you feel like a man whereas driving a Citroen Picasso will make you feel like you've given up on life.

If that's important to you like.....

Dolly

• forum hero
#14 Re: Best 7 seater
December 23, 2010, 12:32:09 pm
Thanks for all the opinions.
Lagers - I'll take you up on your offer please sometime soon.
Jasper - we already have a Picasso - but because its my wife's car then that makes it alright - doesn't it ?
I mean I've still got my man car as well to feel like a man...or summat

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#15 Re: Best 7 seater
December 23, 2010, 12:48:20 pm
That's fine provided your other car is as "manly" as this:

;)

It was the wrong choice of words. Not a question of manliness, more whenever I see a Picasso I picture the driver suddenly waking from their trance and screaming "Why the fuck am I driving this horrific bubble?! When did my life end and this soulless pastiche of an existence begin?! KILL ME! KILL ME NOW!!!!".

Dolly

• forum hero
#16 Re: Best 7 seater
December 23, 2010, 12:55:25 pm
Maybe because I'm from Intake but I think "Look at me - I'm driving a French car- I'm reight cosmopolitan"

north_country_boy

• junky
#17 Re: Best 7 seater
December 23, 2010, 01:05:23 pm
Worth Considering...VW Caddy Maxi Life

I have a normal caddy van (C20 104tdi) and it certainly drives like a car.....pretty good VW Caddy Maxi Life examples around if you have 8-11k to spend......

Ian W

#18 Re: Best 7 seater
December 23, 2010, 08:15:01 pm
From my ownership of peeps carrier -

Galaxy - ok but bloody expensive to buy new; bit shabbily built, according to the car comics.
S-Max - if you donr need something Galaxy size, buy a mondeo estate. If you need something bigger than a mondeo estate, buy a galaxy.

Renault / citroen jobbies - we were put off these because of almost universal hatred of them by any owner we met!! Not reliable.

Voyager - just dont.

What we bought was (don't laugh) a Hyundai Trajet. Drives like a truck, refuses to break down. 35 - 40 mpg from 2 litre turbo diesel cimpletely regardless of how you load it or drive it. Looks awful (but it is a van with electric windows), but has 7 full size seats, comfy driving position, was v well screwed together, and lasted us 4 years and 96000 miles with no probs. Kinda regret getting rid.

What we also seriously considerd - secondhand landie disco.

good luck searching!

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#19 Re: Best 7 seater
December 23, 2010, 09:30:51 pm
Now I want an Astro  :spank:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#20 Re: Best 7 seater
December 24, 2010, 08:37:58 am
Have you considered a Caravelle or similar? Or too big and/or expensive. Our Transporter is great to drive.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#21 Re: Best 7 seater
December 24, 2010, 11:15:22 pm
Now I want an Astro  :spank:
vid of astro snow fun

:guilty:

That's me in Dunelm/Halfords car park every time it snows  :-[

gingerninja

• menacing presence
#22 Re: Best 7 seater
December 24, 2010, 11:41:48 pm
i had a merc e class estate that was a 7 seater. it had 2 seats that folded out of the boot that had full 3 point belts. it was an awesome car and i miss driving it, tho not putting fuel in it. if it had been a diesel i would still be driving it.

Paul B

• forum hero
#23 Re: Best 7 seater
December 24, 2010, 11:42:42 pm
How about a Touran?

Dolly

• forum hero
#24 Re: Best 7 seater
January 08, 2011, 12:20:13 am
Touran sports look great and the boss would probably love it, but.... I saw Lagers dad van last night and it's fookin brilliant.
I defy any dad to see it and not want one.
Please please pplease lagers can u take some piccies and post them up ?
Excuse typos, am on the bloody iPad in the bath, and the keyboard is shite

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal