UKBouldering.com

issue: Burbage Valley Zip Wire (Read 59619 times)

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
  • High Rocks? Best crag in the country mate.....
    • John Horscroft - Writer
issue: Burbage Valley Zip Wire
December 13, 2010, 01:08:43 pm
There's a strong rumour doing the rounds that an outdoor pursuits company is seeking permission to hold occasional zip wire days in Burbage.  The wire would run from Burb West to Burb North right across the valley.  This is a commercial company.

So, I know what I think of this, but I'd be interested to hear what other people have to say.  Legitimate use of a national park?  Bad precedent?  Harmless fun?  Whaddaya think?  :shrug:
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 11:50:41 am by thesiger »

andy popp

• forum hero
#1 Re: Burbage Valley Zip Wire
December 13, 2010, 01:19:30 pm
No, yes, no.

RAK Punter

• Trusted Users
  • regular
#2 Re: Burbage Valley Zip Wire
December 13, 2010, 01:27:50 pm
NO, YES, NO

erm, sam

• forum hero
#3 Re: Burbage Valley Zip Wire
December 13, 2010, 01:32:34 pm
If it wasn't you posting one would assume this was a troll, so ridiculous is the idea.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#4 Re: Burbage Valley Zip Wire
December 13, 2010, 01:32:37 pm
I think rumours aren't worth the paper their written on.

chris05

• forum abuser
#5 Re: Burbage Valley Zip Wire
December 13, 2010, 01:36:42 pm
If it wasn't you posting one would assume this was a troll, so ridiculous is the idea.
:agree:

north_country_boy

• junky
#6 Re: Burbage Valley Zip Wire
December 13, 2010, 02:21:57 pm
It isn't a rumour......

stevej

• menacing presence
#7 Re: Burbage Valley Zip Wire
December 13, 2010, 02:27:14 pm
I think rumours aren't worth the paper their written on.

Think it's already happening, or at the very least I've witnessed a trial run.

Pretty sure I saw one recently, I think (from some logbook searching) it was 6th oct (I'd have been there between ~2pm and ~5pm) although I could be wrong (can check with mates to confirm exactly when it was if that's important, only been to BN a couple of times this year). It stretched from Burbage West to somewhere below the path at Burbage North. Figured it had to be an instructional guided something-or-other session. I've never seen anything like it and I never expected it would be punters being zip-wired. It looked pretty weird but didn't ring enough alarm bells to find out for certain what was going on (and if the date's right I was having an afternoon off after a couple of weeks of 13+ hour days so was soloing grinning like a simpleton rather than up for being Mr. Outraged of Sheffield).

Another vote for no, yes, no from me.

Added now north_country_boys posted that, yeah that's even the same date I thought. FFS...

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
#8 Re: Burbage Valley Zip Wire
December 13, 2010, 02:28:02 pm
I've been called a dwarf a few times, but never a troll......  ;)

OK, I was being coy, not sure how far I could go in spilling the beans.  Now however.....

Thanks Sam and Chris for the votes of confidence and I kid you not, this is a serious proposal.  In fact the company concerned has set the wire up a couple of times already (see above).  They are now seeking permission from SCC, (landowners) to continue.  For what it's worth, I think this is a terrible precedent to set.  But that's just little old curmudgeonly me.....  :wall:

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#9 Re: Burbage Valley Zip Wire
December 13, 2010, 02:36:22 pm

cofe

• forum hero
#10 Re: Burbage Valley Zip Wire
December 13, 2010, 02:38:05 pm
No, yes, no.

i agree with Andy

me too.

what the fuck are they attaching it to? Famous Grouse and The Chant?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#11 Re: Burbage Valley Zip Wire
December 13, 2010, 02:41:04 pm
no yes no. What do I think? It's a fucking stupid idea even if they do have a way of doing it which will leave no impact on the landscape, which I doubt. Hope it get as far as the one that was planned for the lakes.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#12 Re: Burbage Valley Zip Wire
December 13, 2010, 02:43:33 pm
Now there is more solid information/evidence my response echoes others...

No, Yes, No.

It would seem the back-lash has begun as it looks like their web-site has been hacked already by SPAMMERS

Couldn't find any applications from them at Planning Application Search searching for the company name.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#13 Re: Burbage Valley Zip Wire
December 13, 2010, 02:52:50 pm
No, Yes, No.

stevej

• menacing presence
#14 Re: Burbage Valley Zip Wire
December 13, 2010, 03:04:13 pm

No clue. They were attached roughly half-way between the lower path and the valley floor at BN side but went all the way up to the edge at BW-end though, actually at a buttress iirc. Must take some serious anchors to keep however many metal cables under tension. Might go back and try and work it out (I don't know BW well)

Feeling really stupid for not investigating properly and asking wtf was going on when I had the chance, didn't occur to me to have a nosey for any reason other than sheer curiosity as to how they were doing it.

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
#15 Re: Burbage Valley Zip Wire
December 13, 2010, 03:14:41 pm
You want wierd, I'll give you wierd.....the RSPB and the NT don't seem to have a problem with it......  :jaw:

Dexter

• obsessive maniac
#16 Re: Burbage Valley Zip Wire
December 13, 2010, 03:21:56 pm
surely there are other areas that dont have climbing nearby that they can set this up? All I can see happening with this is loads of groups coming and having a go on the zip wire then "playing around" on the rocks and fucking it up for people who actually want to climb.

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
#17 Re: Burbage Valley Zip Wire
December 13, 2010, 03:23:48 pm
surely there are other areas that dont have climbing nearby that they can set this up? All I can see happening with this is loads of groups coming and having a go on the zip wire then "playing around" on the rocks and fucking it up for people who actually want to climb.

:agree:  Go-Ape are a perfect example of how these things should be done.  No way should commercial firms be able to turn the Peak into a theme park.  :thumbsdown:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#18 Re: Burbage Valley Zip Wire
December 13, 2010, 03:34:04 pm
Is the proposal for a permanent zip-line (as Go-Ape's things are) then?

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
#19 Re: Burbage Valley Zip Wire
December 13, 2010, 03:52:33 pm
Is the proposal for a permanent zip-line (as Go-Ape's things are) then?

Neigh lad, only as and when required - sorry if I gave the wrong impression....

gme

• forum hero
#20 Re: Burbage Valley Zip Wire
December 13, 2010, 03:54:57 pm
Just to add me two Penny's worth and probably get shot to bits.

What is the problem with it if its done without damaging anything. The increase of traffic and crowds to our beloved Burbage.
The development of climbing and bouldering ( guidebooks, walls, mats, outdoor activity centers etc.) brings more and more people out into the peak every year. This is probably the same for mountain bikers and walkers. Yet no one on here jumps up and down when rockfax, bmc etc brings out a new guidebook to the burbage valley, or the climbing works opens introducing a whole new bunch of people to our beloved sport, a vast number of which will eventually head out to this same valley at some point.
I think we have to be careful that we don't just disagree with things because we feel our activities are somehow better and more just.

As an aside i still think its a stupid idea as it would be logistically easier and probably more commercially viable to do it in the city, near the ski village for instance.

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
#21 Re: Burbage Valley Zip Wire
December 13, 2010, 04:18:27 pm
Just to add me two Penny's worth and probably get shot to bits.

What is the problem with it if its done without damaging anything. I think we have to be careful that we don't just disagree with things because we feel our activities are somehow better and more just.

I had some similar thoughts, but I think, as you say, that it's just an inappropriate place to do it.  Tis a toughy though if, as I do, you use burbage on a regular basis for both MBing and climbing.....  :shrug:

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#22 Re: Burbage Valley Zip Wire
December 13, 2010, 04:22:16 pm
The difference I think is that this would be a commercial activity. If zip-wiring were an activity that became popular, and bunch of individuals turned up to rig them for themselves and friends, then I wouldn't have a problem with it. Likewise if The Climbing Works started having come-and-try-it sessions for £10 a pop on a plywood boulder set up by the green track, I'd be dead against it.

You have to draw the line somewhere, and for me this fails on two principles: involves the building of a structure, and queueing paying punters. Both of these make are appropriate in a theme park, but not a National Park.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#23 Re: Burbage Valley Zip Wire
December 13, 2010, 04:27:27 pm
That's a good distinction JB.   

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#24 Re: Burbage Valley Zip Wire
December 13, 2010, 04:29:17 pm

No clue. They were attached roughly half-way between the lower path and the valley floor at BN side but went all the way up to the edge at BW-end though, actually at a buttress iirc. Must take some serious anchors to keep however many metal cables under tension. Might go back and try and work it out (I don't know BW well)

It was a block just right of the Nose IIRC, nothing with any problems on but that's not the point is it...

no yes no to the orginal question

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal