UKBouldering.com

Snowballing... (Read 45305 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#125 Re: Snowballing...
March 08, 2018, 12:52:32 pm
Got very warm very soon. Warm winds on the way as of the weekend.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#126 Re: Snowballing...
March 08, 2018, 01:17:33 pm
Not so much too warm as too windy and then a bit wet. Suspect potential remains on Stanage north.

haydn jones

• forum hero
#127 Re: Snowballing...
March 08, 2018, 02:58:15 pm
Was at stange North yesterday and all the snow had basically gone. And no drifts

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#128 Re: Snowballing...
March 08, 2018, 03:14:04 pm
Lowrider never had any. Did you check Good clean fun or No more excuses?

bigironhorse

• junky
    • YouTube
#129 Re: Snowballing...
March 18, 2018, 02:20:20 am
I made the pretty foolish decision to drive from Manchester to Sheffield after an evening over there. Set off around half 11 and arrived back about 1.45! There is a lot of snow in the peak, thought I was kipping on the back seat more than a few times! Drove over a623 and then up to owler bar, had a look at the road up from calver to Grindleford and Froggatt but it looked impassable. There seemed to be some decent drifts building up at the sides of the roads so could be on for snowballing this time around!

bigironhorse

• junky
    • YouTube
#130 Re: Snowballing...
March 18, 2018, 02:55:44 pm
Started work on a platform under three blind mice this morning. Might be okay with lots of pads but probably could do with a little more work. Pictures of the pad parties Facebook page.

bigironhorse

• junky
    • YouTube
#131 Re: Snowballing...
March 19, 2018, 07:09:40 pm
Three blind mice probably good to go with plenty of pads. Anyone keen  for a smash and grab tomorrow afternoon? I should be able to get there for 4.30.

remus

• forum hero
#132 Re: Snowballing...
March 19, 2018, 08:02:42 pm
Three blind mice probably good to go with plenty of pads. Anyone keen  for a smash and grab tomorrow afternoon? I should be able to get there for 4.30.

Bit cheeky considering we've never met, but if id could grab a lift from meersbrook area id be well keen! Was chomping at the bit today but went out to find the van had a flat battery and my partner won't be about for a jump start until tomorrow eve. Can supply a couple of pads.

Wood FT

• forum hero
#133 Re: Snowballing...
March 19, 2018, 08:44:30 pm

Bit cheeky considering we've never met, but if id could grab a lift from meersbrook area id be well keen! Was chomping at the bit today but went out to find the van had a flat battery and my partner won't be about for a jump start until tomorrow eve. Can supply a couple of pads.

You two will get on fine

bigironhorse

• junky
    • YouTube
#134 Re: Snowballing...
March 19, 2018, 10:11:28 pm

Cool. No problem with lift. I'm not sure what time I'll be out of work tomorrow though and as it'll be around 4 I think it might be best if you could get up towards the uni so that there's no risk of getting stuck in rush hour traffic and get out as quick as possible. Will Pm you tomorrow.

Duma

• forum hero
#135 Re: Snowballing...
March 09, 2023, 01:28:02 pm
Question??

I'm in the peak this weekend

SamT

• forum hero
#136 Re: Snowballing...
March 09, 2023, 01:38:24 pm
Plus 1.

Been snowing all day / night here in West sheffield but only about an inch lying on the ground (melting as fast as it falls).

However not sure what's happening out there at higher altitudes.   Be good to get some feed back on here on connies on the eastern edges.

monkey boy

• forum hero
#137 Re: Snowballing...
March 09, 2023, 02:02:44 pm
It's not cold enough to build up any decent snow I don't think. Sun is due to be out tomorrow afternoon so I imagine a lot will melt. And then a big temp jump on Sunday.

Liamhutch89

• forum hero
#138 Re: Snowballing...
March 09, 2023, 02:05:03 pm
If it sticks count me in!

remus

• forum hero
#139 Re: Snowballing...
March 09, 2023, 02:16:06 pm
It's not cold enough to build up any decent snow I don't think. Sun is due to be out tomorrow afternoon so I imagine a lot will melt. And then a big temp jump on Sunday.

I reckon you're right, forecast is saying ~0 degrees in hathersage at the mo so I think it's more likely to melt off rather than build up. Bit fo a shame as it's forecast to be fucking freezing friday night/saturday morning.

Never know though, might be cool enough up on the edges. I'd be keen for a look Duma.

Stabbsy

• junky
#140 Re: Snowballing...
March 09, 2023, 02:33:51 pm
Plus 1.

Been snowing all day / night here in West sheffield but only about an inch lying on the ground (melting as fast as it falls).

However not sure what's happening out there at higher altitudes.   Be good to get some feed back on here on connies on the eastern edges.
Not the eastern edges quite, but definitely sticking and way more than an inch lying higher up. Just back from a run past Ringinglow and I'd say up to 4 inches plus more where it's drifting. Not wanting to get too technical, but it seems like good quality snow - sticky rather than sugary. The sort of stuff that balls up in the tread on your shoes so that that you go flying unexpectedly...

That said, forecast to be 10 degrees on Saturday, so there's a very limited window. It's due to carry on dropping until tomorrow lunch then would need some drying time for the rock, by which time it might have all melted unless you get a big enough platform built in time.

Bradders

• forum hero
#141 Re: Snowballing...
March 09, 2023, 02:41:41 pm
That said, forecast to be 10 degrees on SaturdaySunday, so there's a very limited window. It's due to carry on dropping until tomorrow lunch then would need some drying time for the rock, by which time it might have all melted unless you get a big enough platform built in time.

Met Office forecast for Hathersage says max temperature of 2'C on Saturday, then big spike up to 10'C on Sunday.

-11'C at 6am on Saturday so it's gonna jump 20'C in a little over 24 hours!

nik at work

• forum hero
#142 Re: Snowballing...
March 09, 2023, 04:00:33 pm
Probably 6 inches on the ground in Hathersage. It’s snowed all day. Some small drifts up to a couple of feet here and there as I walked the dog just now. Probably deeper up on the edges but couldn’t comment on the snowballability of it all…

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
#143 Re: Snowballing...
March 09, 2023, 04:11:56 pm
Currently about 3-4 inches in Bamford, with a lot more falling, but I think Dave’s right and it’ll be gone before the rock is climbable.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#144 Re: Snowballing...
March 09, 2023, 05:47:26 pm
The key to big drifts in the past has been a strong NE’ly wind plus low enough temps to allow extensive drifting, you get half the moor’s worth ending up below the crag. Neither of those are present so far, and as already noted it doesn’t look like any drifts will last long enough to allow the rock to dry.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#145 Re: Snowballing...
March 10, 2023, 08:11:22 am
This assessment may have been too hasty. Wind went into a better direction last night and strengthened significantly. Plus another 5” of snow in colder temps. Footage from Northern Yob’s farm just in showing bare hill tops and drifts big enough to bury his car…

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#146 Re: Snowballing...
March 10, 2023, 09:30:53 am
Deffo some big snow in the Peak. I'm hoping the Manchester train is running tomorrow so I can get out on Kinder while it's still cold (and due to snow some more). Unfortunately it looks like a few days of warm temps and rain after that, so not great for snowballing, but you never know.

remus

• forum hero
#147 Re: Snowballing...
March 10, 2023, 09:48:58 am
Im gonna see if I can get out to burbage valley this afternoon and have a scout around. Will report back.

northern yob

• stalker
#148 Re: Snowballing...
March 10, 2023, 10:27:11 am
This assessment may have been too hasty. Wind went into a better direction last night and strengthened significantly. Plus another 5” of snow in colder temps. Footage from Northern Yob’s farm just in showing bare hill tops and drifts big enough to bury his car…
I can confirm full drifting up here, wind was easterly/north easterly! Our road runs north south and has filled in with up to 6ft of really good snow in places ( snow cave for the kids) might be good out there, there’s certainly lots of potential given the conditions…

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#149 Re: Snowballing...
March 10, 2023, 10:43:50 am
Just gotta hope the snow can survive the predicted uptick in temps 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal