UKBouldering.com

Snowballing... (Read 45302 times)

fiveknuckle21

• menacing presence
Snowballing...
December 01, 2010, 12:24:12 am
So having largely missed the early 2010 season with dissertation commitments and the forecast snowfall I was hoping some of the veterans could point me in the direction of their season highlights from earlier on this year... any potential routes being brought back to ground-up level? Soul Doubt at Froggatt looks like it has some potential...

csurfleet

• menacing presence
#1 Re: Snowballing...
December 01, 2010, 09:40:44 am
I'd also be grateful for any suggestions on venues for a bit of snowballing this weekend, we're bouldering around V4/5 :)

Edit: Um yeah, Yorkshire or the peak...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#2 Re: Snowballing...
December 01, 2010, 09:42:48 am
I'd also be grateful for any suggestions on venues for a bit of snowballing this weekend, we're bouldering around V4/5 :)

Anywhere!  :lol: :P

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#3 Re: Snowballing...
December 01, 2010, 04:02:35 pm
Depends on the drifting and wind direction. It'd be nice if we get a fresh new set of possibilities this time eg stuff at Froggat, Curbar or Burb S.
 Best way to get a long lasting landing is to get in there early and pile as much compact snow onto a landing as possible. The longer you leave it the harder the snow becomes to move and when it turns into big crystals it becomes hard to make a landing out of as it just rolls around like big sugar.
 Anyone after a really good snow shovel should go to somewhere selling horsey stuff e.g. Decathlon or Stablemates in Totley and get a shit shovelling shovel, they are the knowledge!

T_B

• forum hero
#4 Re: Snowballing...
December 01, 2010, 04:26:28 pm
warning! 10 months on and I am still recovering from tearing my hamstring whilst trying to snowball cemetary waits. make sure you warm up  ;)

Tommy

• junky
#5 Re: Snowballing...
December 01, 2010, 05:40:24 pm
We just today made a 6ft high platform capable of carrying 2 mats - and started from nothing. Unfortunately this was in our street as a method of somehow clearing an area to move the car, but at least I know the principle works! It only took about 2 hours with 2 people, so I'd be keen to try this out on a few new things this year.... Can't wait for the next couple of weeks!!

Messiah?
Living in Oxford?
Nosferatu?
Promise?

Could be getting a bit over optimistic here though!

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#6 Re: Snowballing...
December 01, 2010, 06:00:25 pm
I'm definitely keen on sorting the landing under Shine On. I never got to try it last year. I may have to spend a couple of hours getting the car out first. I'd be interested to hear when the road to Burbage becomes passable.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#7 Re: Snowballing...
December 01, 2010, 07:44:06 pm
It would take even bigger drifts than last time to make Shine On snawballable. It got ascents in Feb, but only due to 20+ pads on top of the snow! The landing has some huge blocks in it and a slope.

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#8 Re: Snowballing...
December 01, 2010, 10:47:17 pm
Cock  :'(
Maybe I could shift all the snow from my road out there? That might be enough... it'll only take a couple of journey's surely?  :whistle:

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#9 Re: Snowballing...
December 01, 2010, 11:08:06 pm
I think it's too early to get excited. Although there has been a fair amount of snow so far you've got to remember there was some pretty freak drifting going on last year, you'd need strong winds in the right direction before the snow hardens, to pile it up anywhere near last year. Not saying it won't happen but we have 30cm here undrifted, significant but not 10ft.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#10 Re: Snowballing...
December 02, 2010, 10:18:50 am
Hello voice of reason.

El Mocho

• forum abuser
#11 Re: Snowballing...
December 02, 2010, 10:26:51 am
Up to Carhead rocks yesterday morning to board back down and there were drifts up to chest height (I decided to stop in one by a gate and had an amusing 10 mins trying to get the board off and then swim through the snow). The higher moors were looking more windswept - less deep snow but potentially more drifts. Not been up to any of the crags yet.

I don't think we have reached a level like last time, but it is still snowing here in Hathersage so could be ok if people could be bothered (or able) to make it out and put some work in.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#12 Re: Snowballing...
December 02, 2010, 10:33:10 am
I'm pretty sure it was getting on for a fortnight after the last dump that the last platforms even got built. We'll need some sun and a few freeze-thaw cycles to clear off the rock and consolidate the snow. Hopefully it will be cold for long enough... if its gone before I get back I'll be livid! How is the Jacob's ladder scene going?

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#13 Re: Snowballing...
December 02, 2010, 11:06:40 am
More heavy snow due today, clear tomorrow so hopefully the roads will get cleared, sunny and still cold (1deg max day, -5 at night) on the weekend so all being well... :thumbsup:

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#14 Re: Snowballing...
December 02, 2010, 11:25:45 am
The snow in Totley is more like 50-60cm deep, so I'd imagine there is enough snow in the Peak to form some big drifts. Just need some strongish winds from the North and East and some time and the right conditions for snow on the holds and topouts to clear without too much melt.

Edit: From the metoffice peak forcast for today
Maximum winds above 400m
Northeasterly winds will be strong to gale with speeds 35 mph, gusts to 45 to 55 mph.
I.e. looking hopefull for drift formation today
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 11:31:08 am by Bonjoy »

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#15 Re: Snowballing...
December 02, 2010, 11:32:49 am
Matt Heason was up at Curbar and Froggatt yesterday and showed m some pics, basically the crag looked as if it's blanketed in snow so even if you can build the platforms the routes may be very out of condition.

It's been snowing on and off in Grindleford with another forecst for some heavy falls this evening.  So we could be in for a prolonged bout of internet frustraiton.

PS anyone up for extreme sledging down from the grouse this afternoon?

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#16 Re: Snowballing...
December 02, 2010, 11:50:52 am
I'm pretty sure it was getting on for a fortnight after the last dump that the last platforms even got built.

It was, we were all snowboarding at Ringinglow WC 3rd Jan or so, the weekend of the 9th i remember wading through thigh deep snow to get to Mothercap, about the only thing dry at the time, there may have been more snow between then and the platforms getting built for the weekend of 30th and lasted into March.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#17 Re: Snowballing...
December 02, 2010, 11:53:11 am
Good luck with your platforms, everyone. Some great and interesting climbing was done last year. If the crags are plastered perhaps someone could ab down the line with a soft yardbrush and clean it off. It'll add a little snow to the bottom and clean the line so should any platforms get big enough there may be a chance of an ascent.

Somebody needs to get a wiki going to co-ordinate efforts and so that all the practitioners could get their updates on somewhere central. I'm sure you could take the format of the Grit List or similar and have a basic model up and running in an evening. Needn't look pretty.

If you got really serious and rain was forecast you could get some groundsheets and make a shelter over your platform!

Steamboat Stello

• menacing presence
#19 Re: Snowballing...
December 02, 2010, 12:52:57 pm
Is that smiling buttress on the left which looks snow free?

http://picasaweb.google.com/mattheason/201012GrindlefordSnow?authkey=Gv1sRgCOnonJzagqykzQE#5546014028078812482

Maybe nows the time for a wadmaster (with a 4x4!) to finally get this done, snowball style?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#20 Re: Snowballing...
December 02, 2010, 12:56:17 pm

No snow is not necessarily mean its dry.  Besides there is some snow on the hold at the top.

Sloper

• forum hero
#21 Re: Snowballing...
December 02, 2010, 01:10:07 pm
With the wind direction being as it is it may be dry.

I might walk up later.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#22 Re: Snowballing...
December 02, 2010, 01:15:04 pm

I might walk up later.

Let us know if its V4 or V5 if you do.  :P

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#23 Re: Snowballing...
December 02, 2010, 01:19:27 pm
Looking promising from those pics!

Sloper

• forum hero
#24 Re: Snowballing...
December 02, 2010, 01:21:00 pm

I might walk up later.

Let us know if its V4 or V5 if you do.  :P

Are you taking the piss, you know it would get a Font grade, maybe as much as 6a+.

Anyone know any random Spannish types and can lend me some Accrapi.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal