UKBouldering.com

issue: Strikes in France (Read 30394 times)

J.P

• regular
issue: Strikes in France
October 18, 2010, 09:47:01 am
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11559265

I got tickets to go to Font next saturday, but stories from friends in the forest about fuel shortage makes me thinking of canceling the hole trip :-\
Anyone got some inside knowledge how bad it is? They say the strike is about escalate with the usual lorry drivers blocking roads etc...

My biggest fear though is if I´m stuck in France with airports closing down. Not a bad thing per se, but my work would most likely kill me.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 06:46:27 am by thesiger, Reason: renamed for front page use »

sidewinder

• obsessive maniac
#1 Re: Strikes in France
October 18, 2010, 09:55:07 am
Not to be too down but got a message from my friend, telling me she is stuck in Nemours, with a red light on the tank and nowhere to get diesel, so she can't even drive to go climbing on her last day, so it seems it might be quite bad.  I take it from your mention of airports you are flying?  Maybe speak to the hire car agency and see if they will be giving you a full tank/know where you can get some petrol.  I am sure Neilh on here/from maisonbelau might have some inside info?

a dense loner

• forum hero
#2 Re: Strikes in France
October 18, 2010, 11:16:49 am
they're french they strike, thats what they do. what inside info are you looking for? i didn't know neil was a politician?

J.P

• regular
#3 Re: Strikes in France
October 18, 2010, 11:53:37 am
they're french they strike, thats what they do.

Yeah, I know :)

well, just scoping around to get a general feel if this is going to blow over soon or if it will get worse.
I just read the news that lorry drivers are now starting to block roads and that rail workers are striking too. So I guess I got the answers to that already...

fried

• forum hero
#4 Re: Strikes in France
October 18, 2010, 11:57:40 am
There is a vote on the rtirement laws in the senate on Wednesday, it will be more clear (maybe) then. I'll post if I have                      any useful info. At the moment it's very difficult to get any accurate informtion.

bobkatebob

• menacing presence
#5 Re: Strikes in France
October 18, 2010, 11:58:19 am
At the moment petrol isn't to hard to get though it is running out it seems to be getting re-filled, Gasoil is hard to get. So if you can choose, I would come in a petrol car rather than gasoil.

Neil heard on the news this morning that the service stations should be getting both petrol and Gasoil today. Though will have to wait and see if it happens.

If the person who has a friend in Nemour who is running on fumes needs it, I will be passing the service station on the A6 just north of Ury later this afternoon so will post if I see there is any Gasoil there and I'll get Neil to post if he has found Gasoil anywhere.

Reading the news from France 24 it sounds like South of Paris is being especially hit. Also reading France 24 historically the French Gov rolled over after 3 weeks of fuel shortages due to strikes, I have a feeling Sarkosy won't so it might take a while to be sorted out.

sidewinder

• obsessive maniac
#6 Re: Strikes in France
October 18, 2010, 12:06:14 pm
If the person who has a friend in Nemour who is running on fumes needs it, I will be passing the service station on the A6 just north of Ury later this afternoon so will post if I see there is any Gasoil there and I'll get Neil to post if he has found Gasoil anywhere.

That would be very kind of you, I think they might already be trying to coast to the first stocked petrol station on the way to the ferry (are these running?), but will text her if not.

bobkatebob

• menacing presence
#7 Re: Strikes in France
October 18, 2010, 12:12:06 pm
Ok, news in. New tanker delivery of Gasoil at the BP garage by the roundabout on the north side of Font.

They were saying that a lot of tankers got out this morning so other garages could well have Gasoil and petrol.

I havn't heard anything about the ferries so hopefully they should be ok.

This is a good news page for those who are interested http://www.france24.com/en/20101018-france-navigating-strike-transport-travellers-survival-guide-oct-18

J.P

• regular
#8 Re: Strikes in France
October 18, 2010, 01:48:13 pm
Thanks, that page has some good up to date info!

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
#9 Re: Strikes in France
October 18, 2010, 05:24:15 pm
carefour is the only place with gazoil, everyone else has run out,

i managed get full tank today after queing for an hour

dave

#10 Re: Strikes in France
October 18, 2010, 05:50:43 pm
jesus, if this shit ruins my font trip i'm gonna go fucking postal.

willackers

• junky
    • Vimeo
#11 Re: Strikes in France
October 18, 2010, 05:58:48 pm
We leave for font on Saturday! I hope it'll be ok  :'(

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
#12 Re: Strikes in France
October 18, 2010, 06:19:55 pm

Are you not less likely to be affected, going mostly by train?

I could handle being stuck there for a while longer.

dave

#13 Re: Strikes in France
October 18, 2010, 06:35:40 pm

Are you not less likely to be affected, going mostly by train?

I could handle being stuck there for a while longer.

We'll still need a hirecar with some fuel in it to get out of paris, that's assuming the eurostar keeps running, which appears to be the case at present, touch wood.

bobkatebob

• menacing presence
#14 Re: Strikes in France
October 18, 2010, 06:45:02 pm
Might be worth keeping an eye on www.carbu.fr
France 24 is saying the site has an interactive list of effected
Petrol stations.

205Chris

• forum hero
#15 Re: Strikes in France
October 18, 2010, 07:55:40 pm
This does not make happy reading.

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#16 Re: Strikes in France
October 18, 2010, 09:29:07 pm
I seem to remember (from the last time) that you can take diesel in a proper Jerry can on the ferry and you can also use a mix of straight veg oil and diesel in a lot of engines (a bit of redex is also a good idea).

Obviously nak all use if you're on the train or plane, but maybe if you're driving something to ponder on . . .

Ohh and I wonder if some people now take a different view about lefties and unions striking and disrupting travel plans etc :oops: :whistle:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#17 Re: Strikes in France
October 18, 2010, 09:35:39 pm
Ohh and I wonder if some people now take a different view about lefties and unions striking and disrupting travel plans etc :oops: :whistle:

They're selfish?

dave

#18 Re: Strikes in France
October 18, 2010, 10:06:20 pm
I'm all down with striking and shit, but there's certain things you just don't fuck with, and an annual font trip is one of them. Its a basic human right.

tomtom

• forum hero
#19 Re: Strikes in France
October 18, 2010, 10:28:39 pm
I'm all down with striking and shit, but there's certain things you just don't fuck with, and an annual font trip is one of them. Its a basic human right.

Maybe you should organise a protest outside the works? Y'know torch a few cars, burn some tyres?

tomtom

• forum hero
#20 Re: Strikes in France
October 18, 2010, 10:31:19 pm
I seem to remember (from the last time) that you can take diesel in a proper Jerry can on the ferry and you can also use a mix of straight veg oil and diesel in a lot of engines (a bit of redex is also a good idea).

Good arrows there sloper - thats a good tip if you're desperate...

IIRC 50/50 diesel/veg oil is OK for nearly all engines  - and a capful of white spirit with every litre I've heard... Theres plenty of websites detailing what cars can take what - some fuel pumps dont like the xtra viscosity and can clag up... Mercs seem to be the most adaptable...

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
#21 Re: Strikes in France
October 18, 2010, 10:45:54 pm

No. Not at all. :yawn:

Paul B

• forum hero
#22 Re: Strikes in France
October 18, 2010, 10:59:55 pm
(a bit of redex is also a good idea).

Redex is never a good idea. (Maybe now we know the real reason why your Alfa blew up :whistle:)

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#23 Re: Strikes in France
October 19, 2010, 09:41:47 am
If you find yourself fuelless and stranded in France, why not simply ask the protesters to torch your car - then The AA will have to transport you and your belongings home  :thumbsup:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#24 Re: Strikes in France
October 19, 2010, 10:02:26 am
The French should think themselves lucky that they don't have the Tories in charge. Then they would actually have something worth kicking off about.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal