UKBouldering.com

Harmers Wood Conditions (Read 130922 times)

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
#50 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
March 21, 2011, 07:42:44 pm
Thinking of heading down tomorrow, is it looking good?  :smartass:

andy popp

• forum hero
#51 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
March 21, 2011, 08:12:00 pm
Yeah, was pretty good Friday and has been dry since. I'll be there from mid-afternoon, think others will be showing up too.

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
#52 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
March 21, 2011, 08:26:12 pm
Nice one, we'll be there from Midday.

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#53 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
March 22, 2011, 08:02:18 pm
Great afternoon, good to be out seeing folk in action. Shame Andy's first ascent didn't come out great. Just popped over the hill and grabbed some hasty (blurry) shots.

A few more http://www.flickr.com/photos/steverile/sets/72157626218089018/

andy popp

• forum hero
#54 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
March 22, 2011, 08:24:59 pm
Cheers Steve. I think that gives a pretty good impression if you click through to the flickr stream (some more nice shots in there, esp of Becky on the crack). Some quality spotting going on in the shot of me  ;). Like you say though a good session, nice to meets lots of people. Really coming into condition now but another crag suffering from some mindless excessive chalk use.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#55 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
April 05, 2011, 04:52:35 pm
Popped in today on the way back home and was very impressed. Next time I'll have to have some rock shoes on me!
Anybody keen for a visit sometime in April. I'm on holiday now until after the May bank holiday.

andy popp

• forum hero
#56 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
April 05, 2011, 06:27:57 pm
I'd be keen Will. I'm away from next Sun to the Thurs and then again for the Easter weekend but would love to get some trips in - evenings sometimes. I've got other esoterica I can show you too.

tomtom

• forum hero
#57 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
April 05, 2011, 10:42:43 pm
If it's a Cheshire esoterica tour count me in! May be about later on next week and next weekend Will. T

BenF

• forum hero
#58 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
April 06, 2011, 08:00:36 am
I may be down there tomorrow (thursday) after work.  Depends on the dampness though.  I imagine its very damp after the past few days of rain.  I'll have a ponder about it today.

andy popp

• forum hero
#59 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
April 06, 2011, 08:05:27 am
Thought you were going away Ben? Anyway, like Ben suggests, it could well be damp - pissed down here last night.

BenF

• forum hero
#60 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
April 06, 2011, 08:36:54 am
Not yet mate.  I'm still in school for another ten days, then I'm off to Lleida.

Went to Harmer's last Thursday.  Fell of the top of your new thing by the big arete in the little quarry.  Top pockets utterly gopping - water runnning out of them.  Tried to work out different sequence using ripples around them but couldn't quite get the top and anyway I was simply making a stupidly hard sequence out of it, thought it best to wait til I could use the actual holds.  Would be ok if the pockets were dry though, and a wicked addition.  Can't wait to go and finish it.  Loved the cruxy start.

I repeated a lot of the newly shrunken lines in the little quarry.  Sadly they are no longer such scary propositions, neither are they as hard as they once were.  Shame, but they're likely to get more traffic now that they are more like V4 than E4.  As you said previously, that nasty one move problem of mine is now literally just one move to the ledge.  And not exactly nasty any more.  Shame, it was a boss move and quite hard. 

How was the States?

andy popp

• forum hero
#61 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
April 06, 2011, 09:46:28 am
BTW, this problem (pictured above) is called 'At the Drive In'. I'm guessing its around V6/7A.

TonyS

• regular
#62 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
April 06, 2011, 10:11:21 am
"Lleida" Ben

What you going there for?  thought you had enough of not been able to speak the lingo / order food the last time you were there.

Anyway have a good one

T

BenF

• forum hero
#63 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
April 06, 2011, 12:18:44 pm
BTW, this problem (pictured above) is called 'At the Drive In'. I'm guessing its around V6/7A.

Good name, good grade.

"Lleida" Ben

What you going there for?  thought you had enough of not been able to speak the lingo / order food the last time you were there.

Hi Tony, how's it going?  Off to clip bolts on the limestone north of the city; Terradets, Villanova etc. 

danm

• junky
#64 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
April 06, 2011, 06:49:32 pm
Just to say I got the tour last week from the pioneers of this place - Martin and Tom. Apart from the odd gopping pocket and one hairy top-out (thought I was going to pull a dead tree down on top of me when I grabbed it!) it was really pleasant and much better than first appearance suggested.

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#65 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
April 06, 2011, 10:16:33 pm
Called in to the main quarry this evening - surprisingly dry considering the soaking we had last night.

One request: afterwards I got chatting to the volunteers that have been cleaning up the top quarry. The newly landscaped quarry floor has been seeded this evening with a wildflower mix. These are the trust that own the woods and have cleaned it up for us and they're generally welcoming of climbers (I was running at the time but came clean about my motives).

It'd be nice if we stayed out of the top quarry for a few weeks whilst the seeds start to germinate? The rock'll still be there and there's loads to do in the main.

BenF

• forum hero
#66 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
April 07, 2011, 08:00:29 am
Called in to the main quarry this evening - surprisingly dry considering the soaking we had last night.

One request: afterwards I got chatting to the volunteers that have been cleaning up the top quarry. The newly landscaped quarry floor has been seeded this evening with a wildflower mix. These are the trust that own the woods and have cleaned it up for us and they're generally welcoming of climbers (I was running at the time but came clean about my motives).

It'd be nice if we stayed out of the top quarry for a few weeks whilst the seeds start to germinate? The rock'll still be there and there's loads to do in the main.

Good info Steve, thanks for that.  In light of the seeding issue, I won't be going to Harmers tonight now.

andy popp

• forum hero
#67 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
April 07, 2011, 09:09:00 am
Good work, thanks for the heads up.

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#68 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
April 08, 2011, 09:46:20 am
No probs, ta for the understanding.

In other news they're planning on cleaning up Ben's Quarry next, the little deep hole with junk in the bottom. It's pretty gloomy, but might give something for boulderers with ab ropes and prusik loops :)

There's an amusing list stuff cleared from the top quarry they'll put on the website sometime - usual car tyres, exhausts, prams ...and 9 surfboards.

tomtom

• forum hero
#69 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
April 12, 2011, 02:18:52 pm
Heading over now if anyones about... (assuming its in great nic after lots of dry weather...)
T

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#70 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
April 12, 2011, 02:32:59 pm
I keep meaning to badger you for a lift, Tom. I'll have to stay more glued to this thread!

tomtom

• forum hero
#71 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
April 12, 2011, 02:43:25 pm
I keep meaning to badger you for a lift, Tom. I'll have to stay more glued to this thread!

Are you in Leeds ATM Will? (I was heading to the peak, but just got off a flight and can't be arsed with snake pass etc...)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#72 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
April 12, 2011, 03:00:38 pm
I am. Was going to head out with a couple of friends to the cliff or Caley but Harmer's sounds much more appealing if you're going and could meet me somewhere.
Alternatively if you're not keen for a big drive after the flight then you'd be more than welcome to join us at a local venue. I'll PM you my phone number.

andy_e

• forum hero
#73 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
April 12, 2011, 03:22:10 pm
I wish I had time to go to other parts of the country to climb, or even time to have a full day out, or even time to go out at all...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#74 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
April 12, 2011, 03:23:40 pm
I wish I had time to go to other parts of the country to climb, or even time to have a full day out, or even time to go out at all...

Wait till you start work full-time.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal