UKBouldering.com

Harmers Wood Conditions (Read 131667 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
#25 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
March 05, 2011, 02:09:18 pm
Cheers Andy, got as far as Frodsham and then it really clagged over and started raining properly - I then had a call from Ben and Nick saying it was raining and starting to wet the holds :( so I turned back.
Might have a look tomorrow afternoon...

SpanishJuan

• obsessive maniac
  • two dumplings short of a stew
  • punter
#26 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
March 06, 2011, 10:50:12 pm
Anyone know what was the plan behind the first quarry by the car park?
 :sorry: about size of image. Its the one with dragons teeth by the entrance, and blackish walls

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
#27 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
March 06, 2011, 11:46:34 pm
Was it dry today?

andy popp

• forum hero
#28 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
March 07, 2011, 06:37:27 am
Anyone know what was the plan behind the first quarry by the car park?
 :sorry: about size of image. Its the one with dragons teeth by the entrance, and blackish walls

Wow!! I'd heard it might be cleared but that's incredible. That'll definitely create more potential as long as access doesn't change but they seem pro-climbing so it shouldn't

Zod, it was pretty dry Friday, drizzled slightly Sat and was a beautiful bright day yesterday so it should be fine.

andy popp

• forum hero
#29 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
March 07, 2011, 07:05:49 am
Looking at that again its obvious the floor is now quite a lot higher - this definitely change all the routes on the right wall. Not so good.

BenF

• forum hero
#30 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
March 07, 2011, 07:35:42 am
Crikey, that's quite a bit of landscaping!  I presume that puts climbing in that quarry out of the question for a while until the soil settles down.  And you're right Andy, the ground level is a bit higher on the right hand side so the starts will be affected but not so much that the finial sections won't still be very bold.

tomtom

• forum hero
#31 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
March 07, 2011, 07:49:48 am
Crikey, that's quite a bit of landscaping!  I presume that puts climbing in that quarry out of the question for a while until the soil settles down.  And you're right Andy, the ground level is a bit higher on the right hand side so the starts will be affected but not so much that the finial sections won't still be very bold.

WTF! I'm assuming that's the deeper greener quarry round to the right (from the road) not part of the existing developed/cleared quarry?  (looks like it could be a little)
Tt

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#32 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
March 07, 2011, 08:54:03 am
Galpinos (Nick) and I went on Saturday.  It was my first time there so we went straight to the main larger Quarry.  There's been no additional landscaping in there as far as we could see.

It was relatively 'dry' when we arrived but there were really only a handful of climbable problems. The topouts were very damp and greasy.  It started drizzling and then raining so we bailed after 20 mins.  I'd give it a good few days of dry weather yet and take a yard brush to clean muck off the tops.

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#33 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
March 07, 2011, 09:14:22 am
WTF! I'm assuming that's the deeper greener quarry round to the right (from the road) not part of the existing developed/cleared quarry?  (looks like it could be a little)
Tt
Slightly higher quarry, right next to the road a touch further up. No change to the existing quarry. Looks really new - I rode through on Sat night and scoped it out best I could with rubbish bike lights. Very fresh landscaping will settle down a fair bit. Like a giant crash mat at the mo. Needs to dry out a bit and a bit of a clean, but looks promising.

Steve, brand new here.

SpanishJuan

• obsessive maniac
  • two dumplings short of a stew
  • punter
#34 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
March 07, 2011, 07:29:11 pm
That's exactly where the photo is from Steveri. I'd never even seen that section of quarry and I must have parked near it 3 or 4 times!! Looks like it will be to 'ard for I though

andy popp

• forum hero
#35 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
March 07, 2011, 07:39:16 pm
Its incredibly hidden given how close it is to the road. The right wall (only partially visible in that picture) has/had some very good problems/routes - these will definitely be diminished in size and quality but the other walls were effectively completely obscured before. Swings and roundabouts I guess.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#36 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
March 07, 2011, 08:42:36 pm
Its incredibly hidden given how close it is to the road. The right wall (only partially visible in that picture) has/had some very good problems/routes - these will definitely be diminished in size and quality but the other walls were effectively completely obscured before. Swings and roundabouts I guess.

Ideal for those visiting with their bairns. :P

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#37 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
March 07, 2011, 09:30:38 pm
Had another look in daylight today. There may well be some stuff lurking under that soily wall back left that will take some uncovering (previously hidden under a chute of rubbish?). Spoke to a regular today - low traverse on the R wall now reserved for moles.

In the main quarry pretty much all the traverse was dry, some of the uppy-downy still very green.

andy popp

• forum hero
#38 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
March 08, 2011, 09:11:05 pm
Anyone fancy some Cheshire action Thurs or Fri?

BenF

• forum hero
#39 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
March 09, 2011, 07:51:44 am
Could be free Thursday after work, but not sure yet mate.  I'll text you later. 

Had another look in daylight today. There may well be some stuff lurking under that soily wall back left that will take some uncovering (previously hidden under a chute of rubbish?). Spoke to a regular today - low traverse on the R wall now reserved for moles.

Damn, that means some of the hard starts are going to be gone I guess.  Andy, if we meet there this week we'll have to re-climb everything...  including the topouts!!!!

andy popp

• forum hero
#40 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
March 10, 2011, 03:46:51 pm
Went to check this out today. OMG! is just about all I can say. The transformation is amazing. The problems on the right are very effected. Ben's horrible one-mover is reduced to literally one move now. Home From Alabama is pretty redundant. English Heritage, Clarity and Fourth Night have all lost several opening moves and won't be as good but will still be worthwhile. Much more incentive to try the direct finish to FN now it isn't as high. The prominent arete back right is probably better, the opening moves weren't very good and its much less highball now.

However. The wall L of said arete is now open and looks to have good potential. The back wall might clean up to. On the L wall (looking in) there is a nice looking arete (obvious in the photo above) and the wall L of this looks to have quite a bit of potential for problems that will generally be less highball than those in the main quarry and thus quite attractive to some.

Grudgingly (seeing as several of my FAs have been buggered) I have to admit this is probably going to lead to a much better venue once it all settles down. The earth floor is nice and soft and doesn't seem to contain any bricks or other nasty rubbish.

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
#41 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
March 10, 2011, 04:02:45 pm
Hey guys, i remember seeing a few topo's on here a while back, do they still exist? Wouldnt mind getting hold of one, if you could point us in the right direction. Probes.

andy popp

• forum hero
#42 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
March 10, 2011, 10:03:18 pm
I don't think there's ever been a topo but I'll try and get you some details.

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
#43 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
March 11, 2011, 10:36:24 am
Think it was more of a photo with lines photoshoped on. ANyway cheers.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#44 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
March 11, 2011, 12:01:58 pm
If you do a search of the site you get a few threads (eg) that has some pics of people on lines to get you started.

BenF

• forum hero
#45 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
March 11, 2011, 12:04:15 pm
Think it was more of a photo with lines photoshoped on. ANyway cheers.

I can meet up with you some time if you want a tour.  However, the lines are fairly obvious and most things are worth doing.  Its like Pex with smaller holds.

andy popp

• forum hero
#46 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
March 11, 2011, 02:59:07 pm
Did three problems on the newly exposed left wall today. The obvious arete; this is a good problem, clean, good climbing and an easy top out. The obvious line of pockets about 5ft left; worthwhile, one thin starting move to some easier climbing. Didn't top this out as I lacked the tools needed to sort it out but it should be fine and then the far left line - very minor but not as shit as I expected it to be. There will be several more problems on this wall. There was evidence of bits of cleaning and the odd smudge of chalk all along this wall so don't know if these are new.

The wall left of the back right arete will give a couple of very big and good lines.

Ally Smith

• obsessive maniac
#47 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
March 11, 2011, 08:04:58 pm
Dropped in on my way home from work this afternoon and looked a the newly cleaned quarry.
Repeated the arete you did Andy, and topped out the pockets just to the left. A bit greasy for one move, then grabbed the tree.

What are the lines on the right wall? I did the other arete, a nasty rockover just right (then swung into the arete as the top was mingin), a dank wall on pockets between that and the corner, and finally a great shallow runnel thing that met the top of the diagonal cracks. This was a cracking problem.

andy popp

• forum hero
#48 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
March 12, 2011, 10:16:28 am
The arete's a nice problem isn't it. I'll pm you the other details rather than clogging up the thread.

andy popp

• forum hero
#49 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
March 20, 2011, 08:02:26 pm
Was looking nice and dry on Friday. Anyone fancy afternoon/evenings this week, tues possibly?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal