UKBouldering.com

Minus 10 iPhone App (Read 8236 times)

SteG

• addict
  • crimp
    • TheSend-Topo Apps
Minus 10 iPhone App
August 11, 2010, 04:19:05 pm
Following on from the work done on the PDF by Barratt I've now finished the iPhone app which is ready for download  :thumbsup:

it can be downloaded from the App Store by searching 'minus10' or 'minus ten' and there's a preview page on iTunes  http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/minus10topo/id385479009?mt=8 or on the website http://www.thesend.co.uk/apps/minus10.php

If you find any errors or omissions please email/pm me and I'll include them in the next update, also comments & suggestions on the app would be welcome  :)

Enjoy

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1 Re: Minus 10 iPhone App
August 11, 2010, 04:33:03 pm
Well done on putting the effort in to develop and jump through Apples hoops.

Love the depiction of -10 in the splash banner of the site, I can just imagine people's jaws dropping when they realise its not the golden sunkissed limestone depicted there.

Can't test or provide feedback as I'm not an i-Fern owner.

Suggestion : Develop identical app for the Android platform  :P (Although I note its already in development  :thumbsup:)

(This probably belongs in the Topos Bouldering sub-forum too)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 04:41:10 pm by slack---line »

Barratt

• menacing presence
    • Rocket
#2 Re: Minus 10 iPhone App
August 11, 2010, 04:51:15 pm
Well done fella  :thumbsup:

SteG

• addict
  • crimp
    • TheSend-Topo Apps
#3 Re: Minus 10 iPhone App
August 11, 2010, 05:02:35 pm
Slackers, Android is next on the list, followed by windows new phone7 platform. The backend stuff is platform independent so hoping it shouldn't be too much effort to get it ported across

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#4 Re: Minus 10 iPhone App
August 11, 2010, 05:06:42 pm
Have you contacted Ben for the One Summer footage in pink cycling shorts to demo the Tom's Roof probs?  That would be ace...

SteG

• addict
  • crimp
    • TheSend-Topo Apps
#5 Re: Minus 10 iPhone App
August 11, 2010, 05:19:57 pm
 :o

Although, no reason why the app can't include videos for the problems if I can get hold of the content  :-\
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 05:32:11 pm by SteG »

tomtom

• forum hero
#6 Re: Minus 10 iPhone App
August 11, 2010, 08:13:52 pm
Top notch. Really good job. Good that the image and list pages stay in the same location so you can flick between them. Only minor grumble is that the map on info page is a bit small and overlaps some text at the bottom. But that's just minor you can still make it all out.
Brilliant job and I recon a model that would work really well in loads of other locations.

Wipey Why

• forum hero
#7 Re: Minus 10 iPhone App
August 12, 2010, 09:02:48 am
 :thumbsup: Nice work dude.

A little rough around the edges but who cares I still know I am falling off the right holds.

SteG

• addict
  • crimp
    • TheSend-Topo Apps
#8 Re: Minus 10 iPhone App
August 12, 2010, 01:24:19 pm
thanks tomtom and ypy  ;D

Only minor grumble is that the map on info page is a bit small and overlaps some text at the bottom. But that's just minor you can still make it all out.

Agree the map is bit small, I'll see if there's a way of sorting this out as it's as big as it can be to fit the width of the screen - maybe needs a different presentation? I hadn't noticed it overlapped the text either when I tested it  :whistle: but now fixed, the other [almost inexcusable] error that's been pointed out is my miss-spelling of Mr Moffatt's name in the intro :-[

Brilliant job and I recon a model that would work really well in loads of other locations.

I'm hoping so, now that I have a basic model for the code I can produce apps for small venues like bowderstone, rubicon etc in a couple of hours once I have the content (topos and problem/route lists) and they're easily update-able so can be changed for new sequences, hold snappage, new linkups/eliminates with not much extra effort.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#9 Re: Minus 10 iPhone App
August 12, 2010, 02:01:49 pm
This looks brilliant. Not being an #iphonegaylord I can't test it yet either but will certainly do so once an Android version is produced.

I'm hoping so, now that I have a basic model for the code I can produce apps for small venues like bowderstone, rubicon etc in a couple of hours once I have the content (topos and problem/route lists) and they're easily update-able so can be changed for new sequences, hold snappage, new linkups/eliminates with not much extra effort.

Brilliant.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#10 Re: Minus 10 iPhone App
August 12, 2010, 02:16:49 pm

This sounds brilliant, and would be very handy if you could link updates to the app into periodical snap-shots of the continualy evolving web-sites that document areas such as http://peakbouldering.info , http://www.yorkshiregrit.com  or (if they allow access at the required level) http://bleau.info and other sites around the world.

:thumbsup:

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#11 Re: Minus 10 iPhone App
August 12, 2010, 02:29:58 pm
This looks brilliant. Not being an #iphonegaylord I can't test it yet either but will certainly do so once an Android version is produced.

Brilliant.
+1 - waiting eagerly for Android version 

Good effort :great:

SteG

• addict
  • crimp
    • TheSend-Topo Apps
#12 Re: Minus 10 iPhone App
August 12, 2010, 03:21:42 pm

This sounds brilliant, and would be very handy if you could link updates to the app into periodical snap-shots of the continualy evolving web-sites that document areas such as http://peakbouldering.info , http://www.yorkshiregrit.com  or (if they allow access at the required level) http://bleau.info and other sites around the world.

:thumbsup:

:goodidea: funny you should mention that, I have a pre-release app that I'm tinkering with at the moment that links problem info in the topo and route list screens to the relevant snapshot on the area's supporting website...

agree it would be better to have a lower level of access to the data itself, as there's a number of these sites going around at the moment and it seems like a useful feature to allow those sites to publish their data via the app aswell (actually part of the community model I'm working up on the site).

Duncan Disorderly

• Administrator
  • forum abuser
  • Stealth Punter
#13 Re: Minus 10 iPhone App
August 12, 2010, 04:41:55 pm
Great stuff... Now I don't have to make stuff up every time I forget me paper guide (which I've misplaced again;-)
:D

SteG

• addict
  • crimp
    • TheSend-Topo Apps
#14 Re: Minus 10 iPhone App
October 01, 2010, 01:20:14 pm
update on the android version which is now ready for some field testing  :dance1:
if you head over to the Minus 10 app page: http://www.thesend.co.uk/apps/minus10.php there's a download link in the android section.

be good to get some feedback on this as it's quite hard to test for different versions of android and hardware configurations but so far it's been tested on Sony Xperia, HTC Desire and Samsung GalaxyS, anyone got a MS phone7 yet (or planning to)?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#15 Re: Minus 10 iPhone App
October 01, 2010, 01:29:49 pm
 :bow: Nice one SteG.

Downloads and installs fine on HTC Hero (Android 2.1).

Can't seem to get zooming working via any menu or "pinching" style zooming (as when browsing), but pictures are a reasonable size anyway and can be made out.

Also, whilst the list of problems says which area/photo they relate to, I couldn't see any titles on the pictures themselves and that would probably be a useful thing to have.

Perhaps making the links clickable in the Info section would be useful too.

It amused me that the app uses full network connection given reception is a bit unreliable at Stoney.  :P

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#16 Re: Minus 10 iPhone App
October 01, 2010, 01:36:22 pm
Can't seem to get zooming working via any menu or "pinching" style zooming

Hold finger on screen for a few seconds. Will give you the option then.

SteG

• addict
  • crimp
    • TheSend-Topo Apps
#17 Re: Minus 10 iPhone App
October 01, 2010, 01:37:23 pm
i've put a zoom control on a long-press on the topo screen, I couldn't put in multi-touch with 1.6 Android as I didn't think it was supported at that version - I'll probably upgrade this later once more providers are on 2.1.

not sure why it's using any network it doesn't get content online...
hmm maybe it's the webkit browser i used for the intro page (which loads local content) :shrug:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#18 Re: Minus 10 iPhone App
October 01, 2010, 01:43:15 pm
Ahaha, sorted on the zooming front.

Excellent work though, might have to visit for a boulder sometime soon and give it a good road test.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#19 Re: Minus 10 iPhone App
October 01, 2010, 01:55:39 pm
Works a treat on my Legend with 2.1, nice one.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#20 Re: Minus 10 iPhone App
October 01, 2010, 02:09:03 pm
 :oops: Forgot to say I'm running Android 2.1 too.

SteG

• addict
  • crimp
    • TheSend-Topo Apps
#21 Re: Minus 10 iPhone App
October 01, 2010, 02:16:50 pm
...Downloads and installs fine on HTC Hero (Android 2.1).

;D

joeb

• addict
#22 Re: Minus 10 iPhone App
October 01, 2010, 03:42:12 pm
 :great: Looks good on my htc desire and seems to work fine, worked out the zoom by accident. Nice one.

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#23 Re: Minus 10 iPhone App
October 25, 2010, 05:31:33 pm
Runs fine on Android 2.2 on Dell Streak although the numbers are a little blurry and difficult to read (zoom would only go to 130%):

Apart from that, good effort  :great:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal