UKBouldering.com

Non-Quality Chuffing Videos (Read 285716 times)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#575 Re: Non-Quality Chuffing Videos
November 04, 2016, 01:24:15 pm
How fucking good does Dynamics Of Change look, every time it's shown. Best hard line on grit etc etc?

mark20

• junky
#576 Re: Non-Quality Chuffing Videos
December 14, 2016, 07:34:44 pm
I really enjoyed this one from James Turnbull

haydn jones

• forum hero
#577 Re: Non-Quality Chuffing Videos
April 16, 2017, 04:48:41 pm

Pure comedy gold

Kingy

• forum hero
#578 Re: Non-Quality Chuffing Videos
April 29, 2017, 08:25:40 am
Something for Nothing 8c at Malham

Kingy

• forum hero
#579 Re: Non-Quality Chuffing Videos
May 25, 2017, 05:55:01 pm
Here is a video I put together of True North 8c at Kilnsey

youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=epaW9492-N0
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 06:19:11 pm by Kingy »

Kingy

• forum hero
#580 Re: Non-Quality Chuffing Videos
May 25, 2017, 06:39:48 pm
Sorry folks, wrong link posted above!  :wall: Here is the right one. youtube.com/watch?v=epaW9492-N0

user deactivated

#581 Re: Non-Quality Chuffing Videos
July 12, 2017, 04:55:00 pm
Hi thought I'd share my recent non-quality impressionistic vid of my holiday chuffing in the Frankenjura.
Criticism and general views gratefully received ;)

Watch this video on Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/theprojectmagazine/frankenjurapostcard. Don’t have the Vimeo app? Get it from the App Store: http://bit.ly/vimeo_ios

Andy W

• forum abuser
    • http://andywhall.com/
#582 Re: Non-Quality Chuffing Videos
July 12, 2017, 06:49:45 pm
Hi thought I'd share my recent non-quality impressionistic vid of my holiday chuffing in the Frankenjura.
Criticism and general views gratefully received ;)

Watch this video on Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/theprojectmagazine/frankenjurapostcard. Don’t have the Vimeo app? Get it from the App Store: http://bit.ly/vimeo_ios

I started out enjoying this, then found the soundtrack too much, with that as a soundtrack you can film anything, crisp packet blowing in the wind, man at bus stop and you get poignancy. Saying that I liked the 'orme' video from a few weeks ago. What is the referencing of film about, I know you shoot on film sometimes. Shot on film, rendered digitally, I don't get it though? Is it a nostalgia? or a belief that film captures something unlike digital. If its the latter then surely it should be shown as film.

Would the analogue photographic/film process, unlike the digital, produce different results and ask different questions?   The image would look on the surface the same but the potential interpretation of the image could be contested differently. The analogue image has a link tangibly and temporally to a notion of the ‘real’ world. However the digital image has the potential to be endlessly deconstructed and re-assembled. The digital image in one sense erodes the presence of an object and the link between the reality and the image becomes eroded or absent in the digital.

Parisella's cave or Plato's cave... anyhow I'm so bored with most of the current videos of bouldering it's a pleasure to watch something that makes you think a bit.

user deactivated

#583 Re: Non-Quality Chuffing Videos
July 12, 2017, 07:25:50 pm
Hey Andy, that's an amazing response and questions. You're right about the soundtrack of course which was a personal thing and I did do an edit to a Max Richter piano piece which I'll stick on my Vimeo account at some point. From the personal perspective I liked the link to wish you were here referencing Sid Barrett's loss of sanity and his psychedelic drug use, apparently his mates used to spike his cups of tea with lsd. Anyway this had personal links to the 90's acid culture and how I got into rock climbing. Re the film digital thing. I do have a genuine fascination with analogue footage having recently started buying kit for home developing and even as a 'digital intermediate' i feel it has an entirely different feel which is just desperate to recreate purely digitally. An then there is the actual use of the camera and film with little or no budget and at £65 a roll it's amazing how it makes you focus what to point the camera at. There's this guy on Vimeo 'Adrian cousins' who creates amazing pieces from out of date home processed film, worth checking out for the geeks out there. I know what you mean about the nostalgia thing and that is often cited as a reason for using super 8  it not for me in this case, in fact if I were to be truly nostalgic I'd film it on vhs, which has its own fans out there. In the blurb I mentioned this artist Tacita Dean who works it 16mm and what she said about the unexpected aspects of using film. There's an amazing interview with her on the Kodakery podcast which puts it way better than I can. And I really see the irony in putting this all out there digitally and via social media etc, goes against my grain really but how else could it be done?

jfdm

• obsessive maniac
#584 Re: Non-Quality Chuffing Videos
July 12, 2017, 08:29:27 pm
Dan, didn't enjoy it as much as this one.

I'm no Barry Norman or Jonathan Ross but the music added to the bleakness for me of Llandudno/Orme. If the music is obscure, not mainstream then think that adds additional layer.

The Frankenjura images were great, the way you create your shorts is always creative.
In this one the combination of digital/analogue got me thinking like Andy about film production. But the birdsong/music didn't work for me.The sound was meshed together without adding anything.

In reply to Andy there is something about analogue film that digital can't create.
The variables, chance exposure, focus, throw up unexpected results.
Even when analogue film is processed artefacts are added/created.
A lot of this was discussed on the video rig thread.

If I had the ability and resources, a beautifully shot and lit b/w analogue film short would be ace. Picture in my head of heavy sky with the sun breaking through onto beautiful limestone/grit. Maybe no sound, a silent film or simply natural sound. The whites crystal clear, blacks velvety.

Keep up the great work Dan
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 08:43:14 pm by jfdm »

user deactivated

#585 Re: Non-Quality Chuffing Videos
July 12, 2017, 08:36:32 pm
Interestly the music from that one was taken from an artist portraying the development of Alzheimer's disease through sound / music. 

jfdm

• obsessive maniac
#586 Re: Non-Quality Chuffing Videos
July 12, 2017, 08:52:02 pm
Interestly the music from that one was taken from an artist portraying the development of Alzheimer's disease through sound / music.
Amazing, I want to Llandudno loads as a child, your film gave me flickers of past memories. The music choice definitely helped/was inspired, in that the memory fades over time and becomes scratched or clouded.

user deactivated

#587 Re: Non-Quality Chuffing Videos
July 12, 2017, 09:37:52 pm
Cool, that was the intention. inspired by the scratchy old vinyl they play on the pier and all the pensioners wandering up and down.   

user deactivated

#588 Re: Non-Quality Chuffing Videos
July 12, 2017, 11:58:15 pm
Just for you lads then

Watch this video on Vimeo: . Don’t have the Vimeo app? Get it from the App Store: http://bit.ly/vimeo_ios

Wood FT

• forum hero
#589 Re: Non-Quality Chuffing Videos
July 13, 2017, 08:42:35 am
Thanks, Dan. That's a lovely video, gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.

Oh, if you're doing requests can you do a render with The Connells - '74 '75 as the soundtrack?  :'( Gets me every time.

cowboyhat

• forum hero
#590 Re: Non-Quality Chuffing Videos
July 13, 2017, 01:30:46 pm
I think its great.

I'm jealous too: I tried to do it at Cresciano ten years ago with a borrowed Super 8. A couple of days into the trip the camera jammed. As it wasn't mine I didn't really feel like taking it apart so most of the film was shot on DV and it ended up being just another bouldering film.

user deactivated

#591 Re: Non-Quality Chuffing Videos
July 13, 2017, 11:07:05 pm
Haha I'll see what I can do Guy, maybe one to 'in the air tonight' by Phil Collins to follow it up? It's great you lads liked the video, it gave me something to think about between redpoint fails and watching Ian beta flashing everything..... cowboy hat I hear vhs and dv are making a resurgence, the cameras are a bit of a lottery I'm getting quite a pile in the cupboard, each one has a different feel to it.

Danny

• junky
#592 Re: Non-Quality Chuffing Videos
September 18, 2017, 08:45:29 pm
Everyone's favorite P. Beetle strikes again:

tomtom

• forum hero
#593 Re: Non-Quality Chuffing Videos
September 18, 2017, 08:56:52 pm
Prepping your kids before climbing is the new driving to the Crag shot...

Danny

• junky
#594 Re: Non-Quality Chuffing Videos
September 18, 2017, 09:13:09 pm
Prepping your kids before climbing is the new driving to the Crag shot...

Seeing every Beetle move four times in a row is my new driving to the crag shot.

T_B

• forum hero
#595 Re: Non-Quality Chuffing Videos
September 18, 2017, 09:31:11 pm
 9a? 7C+ into F8a+ into jug then 7B+.  :-\

Kingy

• forum hero
#596 Re: Non-Quality Chuffing Videos
September 18, 2017, 09:44:15 pm

I guess nobody will be going there anytime soon to roadtest the grade.  :shrug: I for one wont be booking a flight to Bolivia in the foreseeable  :boohoo:

webbo

• forum hero
#597 Re: Non-Quality Chuffing Videos
September 18, 2017, 09:45:29 pm
Crucial heel hook on non exsisting structure  :wank:

36chambers

• forum hero
#598 Re: Non-Quality Chuffing Videos
September 18, 2017, 11:21:52 pm

I guess nobody will be going there anytime soon to roadtest the grade.  :shrug: I for one wont be booking a flight to Bolivia in the foreseeable  :boohoo:

From the vimeo comment it looks like it's 8A+ rather than sport 8a+

"Up to there you have linked 7C+ to 8A+ without a rest, thus something like 8c+, but the last 7B+ boulder still will throw you off, if you are not in a good route climbing shape"

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#599 Re: Non-Quality Chuffing Videos
September 19, 2017, 04:55:13 pm
Just a little Bell ringing action.

I find it strangely satisfying. Dunno why.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal