UKBouldering.com

glucosamine / cod liver oil capsules (Read 16522 times)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
glucosamine / cod liver oil capsules
June 18, 2010, 11:23:44 am
My finger joints seem to be getting creakier so I intend start taking these daily.

Any recommendations of the best place to source these re quality/price ?

chris05

• forum abuser
I think holland and barratt have all supplements at half price at the moment, or try www.SimplySupplements.co.uk.     

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Good link. Any thoughts on the most appropriate product ?

JamesD

• obsessive maniac
  • one ton monkey
www.myprotein.co.uk

Same quality, lower price.

Try glucosamine, chondroitin and msm blend, then get yourself some super cissus and dose up on that for a couple of months.

If you really wanna splash out, any decent fish oil/EFA blend (not cod liver oil) will be a good bet too.

roddersm

• stalker
Slightly off topic and I'm not sure if this is true but I heard, second hand from a GP or physio I think, that Chondroitin and glucosamine is only effective when combined in liquid form. i.e. Combined capsules don't work. I occaisionally take a combined liquid, from holland and barret, but it sometimes gives me an upset stomach.  Does anyone know if what I heard might be true?

Snoops

• obsessive maniac
http://www.eatwell.gov.uk/asksam/agesandstages/olderpeeps/

There is no sound evidence for either, everyone has their own opinion which varies massively.
There is a couple of threads on glucosamine on this site.
http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/board,4.0.html
http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,6482.msg160469.html#msg160469

Glucosamine - weak link with diabetes?

Have to say I tried glucosamine a while back and it did nothing for me, but cod liver oil does seem to reduce the clicks from my running knees and I take one every night.
Unscientifically I 'd say glucosamine for joint pain, cod liver oil for clicks and creaks seems to be the reckoning.

RichK

• menacing presence
Boots - 3 for 2, 2 x daily, 3 months supply is circa £14.

For spacky backs, joints, general flexibility I swear by them. Really notice stiffness returning after a few days missing them/running out. However, I do have Anky' spond'...dont ask!

Surely its cheating tho ;)

Paul B

• forum hero
Boots - 3 for 2, 2 x daily, 3 months supply is circa £14.

mg'age is generally lower in store bought stuff. Make sure you're comparing apples with appels and not pears.

Omar15

• addict
Some Sainsbury's stores do a glucosamine/chondroitin combination tablet in their own brand stuff - i think its about £6 for 90 tablets or something. quite cheap anyway.

JamesD

• obsessive maniac
  • one ton monkey
Check the dosage, you need at least 1500mg of glucosamine a day for it to do anything, and I noticed very little effect below 2000mg so i'm guessing it is slightly body mass dependent, and the 1500mg is based on an average-small person.

Reprobate_Rob

• menacing presence
These guys are great - http://www.healthspan.co.uk/
All your Glucosomine, Chondritin, MSM, Cod liver oil combos.
The Optiflex stuff isn't sourced from shellfish either, which seems to be what causes some people the stomach upset.
££££'s cheaper than any H&B or store-bought stuff too.

rodma

• forum hero
The Optiflex stuff isn't sourced from shellfish either, which seems to be what causes some people the stomach upset.

:agree: That's who I use too

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
http://www.healthspan.co.uk/glucosamine/joint-care/productdetail-p246-c143.aspx

120 Capsules £5.35 Quantity: Joint-Care Capsules - 400mg Optiflex Glucosamine HCl + 300mg Pure Cod Liver Oil
Glucosamine and cod liver oil. One capsule up to three times daily.

Sound OK ?

Paul B

• forum hero
Don't you need Chondroitin with it? (I can't remeber why but I'm sure you do)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Surely its cheating tho ;)

I categorise it as medicine

Paul B

• forum hero
After reading the Dupuwhathisface thread I've been put off using Glucosamine / Chondroitin, double edged sword?

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
After reading the Dupuwhathisface thread I've been put off using Glucosamine / Chondroitin, double edged sword?

Link ?

Reprobate_Rob

• menacing presence
Yeah, I used the Glucosomaine and Chondritin combined tablets, plus MSM and Cod liver oil, but like Paul said, since reading the Dupytrupyting thread I got scared and laid off all but the Cod liver oil.
Can't say I ever noticed any difference but then you don't with preventative stuff really do you?
It may have helped heal my ruptured extensor quicker/better, it may not. Haven't had anything more serous than slight pulley strains whilst on it though.
Maybe if my fingers start falling apart over the next few months i'll go back, but for now i'm just gonna stick to drinking plenty of water and popping the odd fish oil capsule.

Also a lot of folk who try it just seem to pop the occaisional tab for a couple of weeks, don't notice any miraculous changes ie. the partially ruptured pulley hasn't fixed itself, so it can't be working can it?.. then sack it off which is a bit daft as it's supposed to take 4 weeks+ to take effect anyway. So if you're gonna bother stick to the recommended dosage and keep it up for a few months before making a decision on it.

Paul B

• forum hero
Link ?

its not like its your site or anything?

I mean.. yess my insect overlord  :spank:

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Link ?
its not like its your site or anything?

I mean.. yess my insect overlord  :spank:

O contraire - its your site - we are merely the shadowy custodians (from another dimension)

gruffalo

• player
  • theres many ways to skin a cat....
I heard that cheap cod liver oil is not processed properly and can have heavy metals like cadmium in it from the shit in the sea..

Paul B

• forum hero
#21 Re: glucosamine / cod liver oil capsules
November 17, 2010, 01:51:19 am
My finger joints seem to be getting creakier so I intend start taking these daily.

Any recommendations of the best place to source these re quality/price ?

what did you go for in the end and have you noticed any effects? (slightly leading question)...

I ask as my fingers felt particularly creaky tonight which I didn't like. I'm still avoiding the Glucosamine and Chondrotin due to the dupywhatsnot (which is always bloody tender and becoming more pronounced) but I'm highly tempted to start trying anything that might help with either. DMSO, MSM? (I know the SCIENCE is lacking with a lot of these!)

(On the above Myprotein tips it seems their prices have started escalating and are getting less and less competetive. I'm sure when they first started they were true to the no fancy packaging pledge and everything else to keep costs down, but the new foil packs, supplement stacks etc. are all going a bit Maximoney  :thumbsdown:)

account_inactive

• forum hero

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#23 Re: glucosamine / cod liver oil capsules
November 17, 2010, 10:30:39 am
I took high dosage glucosamine for a while and I really felt like it helped, I have really bad knees and there did seem to be an improvement when I was taking it, however I am known to be a massive sucker for the placebo effect so maybe that was it.  ::)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#24 Re: glucosamine / cod liver oil capsules
November 17, 2010, 10:31:22 am
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-11330747

Original article is available Open Access from the BMJ too (BBC should be linking directly to these articles, not just the website that hosts them, see second point under "What we [should] do now").

simes

• stalker
    • http://www.simes303.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/index.htm
#25 Re: glucosamine / cod liver oil capsules
November 17, 2010, 11:14:43 am

Definately well cheap from there.

Also agree with the advice on taking at least 2000mg.

I started to get very painful finger joints after training a few years ago. I was pretty worried for a few months, but after starting on glucosamine sulphate 2000mg once a day, the problem had completely gone within 3 weeks and has never returned. Hooray.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal