UKBouldering.com

Perth, Australia (Read 8919 times)

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
Perth, Australia
June 06, 2010, 03:12:28 pm
Moving to Perth at the end of June, and wondered if anyone might have any good advice about life or climbing in the area. Looking for work, accommodation and bouldering.

First, bouldering: I've heard there are some good bouldering spots around Perth, but I've been unable to contact anyone who might know. This looks promising, but I can find no other details.

http://delacy.smugmug.com/Climbing/Perth-Bouldering-revolution/5905688_CBd8k#367350489_62hDj

Anyone know anything?

Second, I was thinking of living in Fremantle as I've heard it's a great place. Any opinions?

Third, any ideas for good places to look for work? Any work will do...

Later, the plan is to travel up the west coast, so any pointers about this would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

p.s. Thanks to those who I've already talked to!

Plattsy

• forum hero
#1 Re: Perth, Australia
June 06, 2010, 04:13:20 pm
I'll be in Australia later this year and the only sites I've found so far are these (which you've probably found already).

http://www.climbing.com.au/perth.htm
Mentions bouldering and walls but no other details.

Linked from there is this site and forum which looks promising.
http://forum.climberswa.asn.au/default.asp?view=messageTitles&category=Bouldering%20WA

This one seems a bit redundent.
http://www.australianbouldering.com/

Another redundent one maybe.
http://www.vi-bouldering.com/HomeHighRes/main.html

Good luck and hope you have a great trip.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#2 Re: Perth, Australia
June 06, 2010, 07:09:46 pm
I lived here for a while.  Climbing wise it's shit.  You have Kalbarri(sic)  to the North and Bobs Hollow to the south.  Check the distances out on a map! Both of these places are route climbing and lets just say you wouldn't travel to the other side of the world to climb there.

There are a few OK gyms and some Granite boulders out there.  I spent many a day treking around trying not to get eaten by bushes and spiders just to find head height bits of shit.

All in all climbing in Perth will be awful.  Worse than Norwich.  Move to Sydney as soon as you can.  Also Perth is dire in regards to any culture you are used to in the UK.  Freemantle is OK, but the massive beaches are spoiled by industry and bogans

Rant over

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
#3 Re: Perth, Australia
June 06, 2010, 11:53:11 pm
Lol, D - well put.

There a few new places that you probably didn't make it too which aren't that bad but from what I heard (from a friend who moved there last year), its a shit city to be a climber in. Great if you like watersports (not the golden kind) tho.

R-Man, as I mentioned in my PM there are a few spots which are fine if you are just passing through, but I didn't realise you were actually moving there!

Perth, funnily enough is one of the most 'returned from' Aus cities for expats. A lot of English people think its going to be just like England in the sun (considering about a 3rd of the population are UK expats now) and don't realise what a culture-less soul crushing suburbia much of it is and how truly fucking far it is from anywhere.

Re-think and put set a course for Sydney or Melbourne. Hell, even Adelaide is only an 8 hour drive from the Gramps!

chriss

• obsessive maniac
#4 Re: Perth, Australia
June 07, 2010, 01:14:09 am
I'm in Aus at the moment & will be going to Perth for 10 days so my girlfriend can go diving. I looked at the bouldering & as pointed out it seems shit. I got some random info off the web, so will have a look along the way, but won't be going out of my way to find it.

Get to Melbourne, 3 hours from the Grampians which has some of the best problems you will find anywhere in the world.

r-man

• forum hero
#5 Re: Perth, Australia
June 07, 2010, 09:37:25 am
Well, when I say moving, I'm going for a few months. I need to get some work to save up for a vehicle, so I can see the west coast. Then when it gets hot in Oz I'm off to New Zealand to do some woofing, visit Castle Hill and see the sights. Then hopefully Melbourne and the Gramps when it starts to cool down again.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#6 Re: Perth, Australia
June 07, 2010, 10:26:35 am
Isn't it the most remote city in the world or something?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#7 Re: Perth, Australia
June 07, 2010, 10:45:35 am
Isn't it the most remote city in the world or something?

Yes it is.

7-8hr drive to get to Kalbarri (which is very small) and that only gets you half-way up the west coast. 

3hrs (or thereabouts) to get to Margaret River, there's more than the above mentioned Bobs Hollow there (which btw takes about an hour to walk into unless you've got a decent 4x4, although its a beautiful spot and would be well worth camping there, but a bitch to do so without transport), as there is climbing on a granite sea-cliff (nice platform at base that you can walk round to, so no need to abb in), and there are also limestone crags on the lower section of the river itself near the beach.

Bob's Hollow

Margaret River

5hrs to get to a big granite monolith/outcrop called Mt Frankland...

About 7hrs to get to Albany on the south coast (never made it there, but it looks pretty stunning).

These are all routes though, not masses in the way of bouldering.  Have already sent some links that document what bouldering there is around Perth itself (Blackwall Reach is probably your best bet, but be prepared to get wet!).  Will add these links to the wiki when I get a chance.

Lack of climbing was one of the reasons I came back from there.

r-man

• forum hero
#8 Re: Perth, Australia
June 07, 2010, 11:40:15 am
Hey, it can't be all bad. I've seen some nice pics, and I'm going for an adventure. The ticklist here is a bit woeful, as it looks like only one crag's worth of stuff, but if I can see some new places and touch some new rocks, I'm sure I'll be happy.

Some pics (from the link I posted earlier) to combat the rising tide of negativity!

Pipeline

Millars

Merchant Rocks

Kalamundu

Margaret River

Point 4 Five

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#9 Re: Perth, Australia
June 07, 2010, 11:44:02 am
You'll have a great time, and at least you're only going for a few months  :P

Not sure if I sent you a link to it but this has areas "around" Perth

The aforementioned CAWA web-site is probably the best bet for hooking up with someone who knows more about areas that are in development.

chriss

• obsessive maniac
#10 Re: Perth, Australia
June 07, 2010, 12:08:14 pm
I posted on the CWA site and got a reply quickly, so there seems to be people out there getting involved.

If you are looking to to Australia on the cheap side try looking up HOUSE SITTING or WORK EXCHANGE, we have done both, met some nice people, been to some ace places and saved some $ along the way.

r-man

• forum hero
#11 Re: Perth, Australia
June 09, 2010, 04:20:00 pm
That sounds like a great idea. Do you remember what websites you used? I've registered with some house sitting websites, but I can't send messages unless I pay money. Did you pay to contact people?

Also, any tips on where to look for work exchange? Google isn't being too forthcoming.

chriss

• obsessive maniac
#12 Re: Perth, Australia
June 11, 2010, 02:24:32 am
I'll check what sites the Mrs used and get back to you asap.

Just had another great trip to the Grampians, are you sure you want to go to Perth?

chriss

• obsessive maniac
#13 Re: Perth, Australia
June 12, 2010, 12:56:53 am
These are the web sites we used, we did have to pay, but reasonable fees which saved us a few months rent $.

http://www.helpx.net/index.asp

http://www.aussiehousesitters.com.au/

chriss

• obsessive maniac
#14 Re: Perth, Australia
July 16, 2010, 12:34:20 pm
R-Man Perth was ok, WA was ok, but expensive, do yourself a favour & go straight to Melbourne for the bouldering heaven of the Grampians or for trad the Araplies. We are in Sydney now which is also pretty cool, tons of bouldering too.

Personally if I had known what I know now I  would of skipped WA & saved the money. Seeing the Wales & swimming with Mantas was good though. 

account_inactive

• forum hero
#15 Re: Perth, Australia
July 16, 2010, 01:15:54 pm
Cough cough  ;)

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#16 Re: Perth, Australia
July 16, 2010, 04:22:07 pm
Just noticed this thread. Of all the places in the world to go, why Perth?! On the upside, years of bouldering in lanks quarries and on peak limestone should have lowered your horizons enough to enjoy just about any sort of climbing. Never mind I’m sure you’ll have a great time whatever and Castle Hill will feel all the sweeter when you finally arrive.  :kiss2:

cofe

• forum hero
#17 Re: Perth, Australia
July 16, 2010, 04:46:16 pm
Seeing the Wales

I thought about seeing the Wales this weekend, but the forecast doesn't look great, so I think I'll stay in Sheffield.

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
#18 Re: Perth, Australia
July 16, 2010, 08:32:15 pm
Just seen this post!  :o quick all those Lancs project seekers, the coast is clear!  :great:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal