UKBouldering.com

Mackerel..... (Read 12551 times)

k2ted

• player
Mackerel.....
May 09, 2010, 09:50:01 pm
anybody else on here gonna be fishing for Mackerel this summer??

not long now... starting to get the odd ones off the Llyn peninsula.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1 Re: Mackerel.....
May 10, 2010, 09:12:24 am
Nice. Boat or shore? Be keen for some good shore spot knowledge - Trwyn Y Wylfa?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#2 Re: Mackerel.....
May 10, 2010, 10:06:42 am
Definitely going to have a shot this year. Found an ace spot not far from the house, much safer than the spot I used to use as you don't get cut off by the tide, hammered by big swells or need rock shoes to access it.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#3 Re: Mackerel.....
May 10, 2010, 10:49:27 am
Got wholly dishearted last year trying to catch Mackerel in the Burren. Stood for two hours on a rock platform using an almost identical setup to the guy 5m to my right. Both appeared to be casting roughly the same distance. He must have landed about 30 fish, whilst I didn’t get a single one.
Looking forward to having another punt in Cornwall, this time off a boat in about a month. Bringing along an icebox to keep the fish sushi fresh. Can’t wait!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#4 Re: Mackerel.....
May 10, 2010, 11:20:24 am
I'm keen to try making the ceviche as per Leiths.

k2ted

• player
#5 Re: Mackerel.....
May 10, 2010, 06:50:49 pm
Nice. Boat or shore? Be keen for some good shore spot knowledge - Trwyn Y Wylfa?

never tried Trwyn Yr Wylfa -  over the water at Penmon does ok though.  Just a few fish taken by Kayak anglers http://www.northwaleskayakfishing.co.uk/id104.html  so wont be too far out. Did see where someone had caught a few from the shore at Aberdaron area but cant find the post now. Few wks back during that warm spell they were hammering the Mackie down Cornwall area so not long now...

Off to Uwchmynydd at wkend for Pollock, so I'll post up if Macks about.

underground

• forum hero
#6 Re: Mackerel.....
May 10, 2010, 10:38:17 pm

never tried Trwyn Yr Wylfa -  over the water at Penmon does ok though.  Just a few fish taken by Kayak anglers http://www.northwaleskayakfishing.co.uk/id104.html  so wont be too far out. Did see where someone had caught a few from the shore at Aberdaron area but cant find the post now. Few wks back during that warm spell they were hammering the Mackie down Cornwall area so not long now...

Off to Uwchmynydd at wkend for Pollock, so I'll post up if Macks about.

My mates in Bottwnog mentioned a shore spot down Aberdaron way where they were dragging Mackerel out but I was busy with the kids so didn't catch the exact location. Shall ask them.

I'm back down there resplendent with my new kayak in August, bit late for Mackerel I think but I'll be having a go at catching summat whatever happens...

SA Chris

• forum hero
#7 Re: Mackerel.....
May 11, 2010, 09:17:38 am
Stood for two hours on a rock platform using an almost identical setup to the guy 5m to my right. Both appeared to be casting roughly the same distance. He must have landed about 30 fish, whilst I didn’t get a single one.

Did you ask for beta, or were you trying to onsight? Fisherman are normally only to happy to give tips if asked.

tomtom

• forum hero
#8 Re: Mackerel.....
May 11, 2010, 05:54:24 pm
Get a boat/Dingy - and watch what the gulls do. If they start dive bombing a spot its where theres loads of mackeral -sometimes the mackeral get into a feeding frenzy and think each other are food and you get this knot of crazy swarming mackeral.

About 5 years ago, we probably got 150 in 90 min or so off Borth beach... two lines 5 hooks each line and we were catching them as quickly as we could take them off the hooks. Amazing. Free fish for all our friends, and hour hold mackeral BBQ'd on the beach...

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
#9 Re: Mackerel.....
May 12, 2010, 10:53:42 am
Does anyone know any good mackerel spots on Portland?

jordysi

• player
#10 Re: Mackerel.....
May 13, 2010, 03:31:33 pm
any where in the North East?

Iesu

• obsessive maniac
#11 Re: Mackerel.....
May 13, 2010, 05:49:33 pm
the bitches off St Davids head - good landings there last summer

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#12 Re: Mackerel.....
May 13, 2010, 08:45:02 pm
What are folk's best rigs for catching Mackerel from the shore then? Feathers?

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#13 Re: Mackerel.....
May 13, 2010, 09:23:32 pm
You can't beat feathers if you're just looking to fill your fridge or get some bait in for a session but I prefer float fishing with a sliver of fresh mackerel/launce/garfish as it's slightly more sporting and, as with spinning silver wedge type lures with a light set up, often tends to attract a slightly better stamp of fish. Spinning also puts you in with an outside chance of a bass (always nice!)

Top tips around the Lleyn include the Dock below Pistyll, almost any rock mark around Anglesey, Trefor Pier, Porth Dinllaen and the whole of the Uwchmynydd headland (also top for BIG bull huss after dark). Looking at Google earth, I imagine the Cilan head would have excellent potential although I confess I've never been!

Bring on the summer!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#14 Re: Mackerel.....
May 13, 2010, 10:03:44 pm
I accidentally bought a job lot of feathers off fleabay a while back. Lagerfish got a couple last year, but I will see how much I have if anyone wants any.

I always have a feather trace with a nice spinner at the end in case a hungry bass happens to take notice. You can but hope!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#15 Re: Mackerel.....
May 24, 2010, 05:27:19 pm
Was waloking on the seacliffs the other day and saw loads of gulls gathering out to sea - was hpoing it was some mackerel, but some passing twitchers said it was sand eels they were going after.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#16 Re: Mackerel.....
May 24, 2010, 09:18:47 pm
whats waloking? sounds like fun  ;D

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#17 Re: Mackerel.....
May 24, 2010, 10:39:14 pm
  :-\ ;) ;D

ROFLCOPTER

SA Chris

• forum hero
#18 Re: Mackerel.....
May 25, 2010, 09:03:27 am

I have congenitally stubby fingers, don't mock. Homer suffers the same affliction.

(don't comment on the hpoing!)

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#19 Re: Mackerel.....
May 26, 2010, 09:02:07 am
Mackerel starting to show to the boats off North Wales! Won't be long now! :bounce:

tobym

• menacing presence
#20 Re: Mackerel.....
May 26, 2010, 02:22:59 pm
Mackerel starting to show to the boats off North Wales! Won't be long now! :bounce:

And Pembrokeshire.

Iesu

• obsessive maniac
#21 Re: Mackerel.....
May 26, 2010, 04:13:41 pm

And Pembrokeshire.

any tips on spots from shore down that way? only fished from a commercial boat trip in that area and don't fancy paying again!

k2ted

• player
#22 Re: Mackerel.....
May 26, 2010, 05:52:53 pm
if your near St Davids head - that's normally a good spot. Scramble down the headland and there are some good platforms facing West. Cast out with silver shrimp or feathers but let it totally sink as the bottom out here is sandy, so few snags. Then just reel in - If no luck try a little higher in the water. Definitely better with good beachcaster here and remember to take a priest to take out yr fish -  no loose rocks here.

Took a little throwaway barbie the other yr and cooked em proper fresh . nomm yom yomm.

Just as it goes dark here you'll see hundreds of Manx Shearwaters heading back to the island opposite - few porpoises here too. Top place if the weather is good.

Iesu

• obsessive maniac
#23 Re: Mackerel.....
May 26, 2010, 05:55:42 pm
just the job, ta :)

SA Chris

• forum hero
#24 Re: Mackerel.....
June 09, 2010, 11:42:51 am
Long shot, but anyone know of any good spots for mackerelification around Dumfries and Galloway? There all next week.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal