UKBouldering.com

Improving the Wiki (and possibly bolstering income). (Read 15866 times)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
A while back I started structuring the skeleton to a Venues page on the Wiki.

I just spent a spare few minutes adding a few links to bouldering guides on Amazon for the Peak District and thought the site admins might want to consider setting up an Amazon Associates account so that any click-throughs generate a few pennies for the coffers (I did consider putting in Associate links for my account, but that wouldn't be fair  :hug:).

Obviously you may wish to approach other publishers to arrange more direct remuneration (e.g. Vertebrate?).

More importantly lots of the Venues need filling, I've provided a basic structure for most pages (if I remember correctly) so its just a case of adding a small amount of text for different areas and adding links to other web-sites and/or to Amazon (or other) places to buy the guides.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
Love to help out, Slackers, but I still can't log in.

The only problem with the idea is number of visits, you'd need to make that page more accessible.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Can't help with the login I'm afraid, but  :agree:, although pedantically, would say its prominence as opposed to accessibility since its the same as every other web-page, just click/follow links but few people know about the Wiki at all.  Its not even linked from front page

Perhaps a link on the front page and in the forum headers when the theme is customised would help with that, although I reckon more work would need to be done to bulk it out before thats actually worth doing.

I realise that the revenue from this sort of thing is likely to be small in comparison to paid banner adds, but every little helps.

Filled in the Guides section for France with some Fontainebleau guide links (not all to Amazon though as they don't have them all listed).

Plattsy

• forum hero
I can log in fine and I've had a look around a couple of times but I was put off attempting to contribute anything as I don't know what I'm doing and it didn't seem at first glance to be intuitive or have an idiots wizard. Any guides/tips out there?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
There is the lots of info on how to edit Mediawiki's (the particular brand of Wiki's used on the UKB one)

Once logged in, click on the "Edit" tab on the top right to edit the whole page, there is then a dialog box with the text in place and the mark-up around things.

Have a play around with say Glossary of Bouldering Terms.  Add some stuff, and then use the "Preview" button to see what it looks like, revise if its not as wanted, or just close the tab (or navigate away from the page) before saving if you don't want anything saved.

There are buttons at the top for inserting bold italics hyperlinks etc.  The concept is the same as BBcode used in posting here, in so much as you encapsulate the text you want to be presented in special format in specific "tags", although these tags obviously differ on the Wiki, e.g. to make something itallic...

Code: [Select]
''this will appear in itallics in a wiki'' by virtue of the '' and '' around the text

Can be handy (once pages are full of content, but handy to get in the habit of it) to put a short note as to what you've changed when editing pages.

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
As suggested I had a play in with the glossary of bouldering terms

It's a good idea I think, just at the moment it's looking empty. Some contributers are needed but it's hard to do so when I honestly don't think I know very much.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
As suggested I had a play in with the glossary of bouldering terms

:thumbsup:

It's a good idea I think, just at the moment it's looking empty. Some contributers are needed but it's hard to do so when I honestly don't think I know very much.

Well, where do you live (N. Wales possibly if my memory vaguely functions), what about writing about the venues you frequent?

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
Is it only me that can't log in?  Is this some kind of conspiracy?  :paranoia:

Plattsy

• forum hero
Did you hear that? Hmmm probably nothing...

Cheers Slackers. I'll take a look at that and have a play around when I have some time.

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
Well, where do you live (N. Wales possibly if my memory vaguely functions), what about writing about the venues you frequent?

Sheffield. Although I'd love for it to be N. Wales.

I might give it a go when i've got a bit more free time than usual. I guess the key is - if someone doesn't like what's been written they can edit themselves.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

Sheffield. Although I'd love for it to be N. Wales.

:oops: My mistake I thought it was yourself who'd been doing some ticking of winter climbs in N Wales.

I might give it a go when i've got a bit more free time than usual. I guess the key is - if someone doesn't like what's been written they can edit themselves.

Go for it, a paragraph on say "Eastern Grit" would be a good start, and the fact that "anyone" (who's registered) can edit it is the beauty of Wiki's, over time there will be disagreements, but it should (in theory) move towards a consensus.

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
Is it only me that can't log in?  Is this some kind of conspiracy?  :paranoia:

No it's me as well, it blocks Bolton IP addresses.

Duma

• forum hero
Sketchball??  :lol: :lol:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Nice to see the Glossary starting to bulk out, liking the amusing style too.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
When I click the "create an account" bit it sends me back to UKB forum page?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

You should be able to just log in using your forum credentials. I realise login is broken for some people though. I'm going to try to have a look this today.

SpanishJuan

• obsessive maniac
  • two dumplings short of a stew
  • punter
After Days and Days and Days of procrastinating about useful terms to add I have now been locked out confused as I had access before today  :'( :'(

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

I've changed a config setting.

Although it doesn't work seamlessly if I log into the forum I'm automatically logged into the wiki

SA Chris

• forum hero
Cool, can log in and edit.

SpanishJuan

• obsessive maniac
  • two dumplings short of a stew
  • punter
just say's

Preview

Sorry! We could not process your edit due to a loss of session data. Please try again. If it still does not work, try logging out and logging back in.

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

SA Chris

• forum hero

Just looking about, is there anything other than the Glossary there right now?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
If it still does not work, try logging out and logging back in.
Have you tried this?

It's not perfect, it's a 3rd party bit of code that's written neither by mediawiki nor SMF.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
I just clicked on the above link and it logged me in automatically  :thumbsup:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

Just looking about, is there anything other than the Glossary there right now?

Not masses, but go to the front page and you'll be able to find what is there. I've written a few skeleton pages for venues.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal