UKBouldering.com

Metolius - Gripsaver Plus (Read 4028 times)

squeek

• junky
Metolius - Gripsaver Plus
January 05, 2004, 03:46:10 pm
Thinking of getting one of these because my open handed strength, and especially pinch are weak, and it seems to have some information behind it that it might stop injurys.  

I could also do the exercises at work, seeing as now I can't skip lectures and climb   :cry:

So, has anyone any opinions or experience on them, or similar items (strength putty, spring finger things) and will they actually make my pinch better?

dave

#1 Metolius - Gripsaver Plus
January 05, 2004, 03:52:51 pm
everything i seens says they are worthless for any kind of training, and overuse will fuck your tendons over or summert. waste of time mostly.:

http://www.planetfear.com/climbing/training/neilgresham/ng_fingerstrength.htm

Wrist exercisers?

A final myth which is worth dispelling is that grip exercisers are good for making your fingers stronge. These devices are all very well for warming-up purposes but when do you ever use your fingers dynamically in climbing? If you are forced to train with a grip exerciser as a last resort, try to hold it clamped shut rather than doing frantic squeeze repetitions.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#2 Metolius - Gripsaver Plus
January 05, 2004, 03:58:55 pm
I have one, it lives in the boot of my car. I think I used it as a warm up aid about twice.

dave

#3 Metolius - Gripsaver Plus
January 05, 2004, 04:01:31 pm
i think i ended up with one of them wound-wire basic grip things with foam handles this summer after going to rubicon that day we met you - its wasn't yours was it?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#4 Metolius - Gripsaver Plus
January 05, 2004, 05:35:44 pm
I can see how they might be of some use for warming up, but I can't see them being much good for climbing related finger strength.

Climbing 99% of the time involves static finger strength - when was the last time you ever clenched or unclenched your fingers on a hold whilst during a move?

ian h

• forum abuser
#5 metolius gripper
January 05, 2004, 07:33:49 pm
i dont rate any finger exercisers at all power putty, grip master, metolius etc.

may be good for injury rehab?

squeek

• junky
#6 Metolius - Gripsaver Plus
January 05, 2004, 10:38:31 pm
Yeay, 15 quid saved.  Unfortunately I'm now going to have to find something else to entertain me at work.  Internet usage is monitored  :-(

If only I still worked in server team and could use the backup account that had its own net server.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#7 Metolius - Gripsaver Plus
January 05, 2004, 10:44:02 pm
How monitored? Go via proxify.com and nobody will know what you're looking at, just the amount of time you spend online.

Can you install your own programs on your machine? There are some cool "stealth browsers" around which hide browsing to a certain extent.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal