UKBouldering.com

Fuck me, des plus brillants exploits (Read 61081 times)

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#150 Re: Fuck me, des plus brillants exploits
February 20, 2018, 02:41:17 pm
Snowboard Cross is my new favourite sport!

Elise Christie must be the unluckiest Olympian ever!

Lots to enjoy so far...

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#151 Re: Fuck me, des plus brillants exploits
February 20, 2018, 03:57:36 pm
Did anybody see the women's super G final?
Fuck me, des plus brilliants exploits.
The favourite cocked up. Her time was overtaken. The medals appeared to be decided. The commentators said that those left to come weren't serious contenders.
Then this competitor comes along. Riding on borrowed skis. She's a snowboarder who fancies a crack at skiing. She looked scrappy as anything on the course.
She bloody won it! If you can watch the footage of her at the bottom then you simply must. She sees the light is green but she can't believe it. She just looks in complete disbelief and starts to shuffle off to the exit area. A cameraman eventually goes over to her and tells her she's won. She just says "nooo".

She did the press conference afterwards in her ski goggles. You see, she hadn't expected to win so she hadn't put any make up on and didn't want to be seen by the cameras. She eventually excused herself because she was missing her practice runs in the snowboarding.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#152 Re: Fuck me, des plus brillants exploits
February 20, 2018, 03:59:43 pm
she's my hero, especially as she beat the oversponsored Lindsey Vonn.

As for boardercross, if you are tempted to have a crack

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/scottish-ski-boarder-cross-championships-2018-registration-32271124803?aff=ebdsorderfblightbox

galpinos

• forum hero
#153 Re: Fuck me, des plus brillants exploits
February 20, 2018, 05:03:20 pm

It was bloody brilliant seeing her totally risk everything and win but I have to comment on:

Then this competitor comes along. Riding on borrowed skis. She's a snowboarder who fancies a crack at skiing.

Firstly - The riding on borrowed skis smells like bulls**t to me. She's sponsored by Atomic, she's been racing on Atomic in the World cup last season and this season, why would she rock up to the Olympics without her skis?
Secondly – She was obviously not expected to get a medal, never mind a gold but she has placed top ten on the world cup circuit and been racing alpine skiing since 2010 so I think you are doing her a disservice in saying she just rocked up.

I know this makes me seem like a curmudgeonly old twat but the hyperbole is a bit over the top. Who was the favourite Will, Lara Gut?

Anyhoo, awesome to see someone do so well outside of the normal top ten finishers, especially as all the next six places were no surprise.

Footwork

• forum abuser
  • Living With Wads
    • Living With Wads
#154 Re: Fuck me, des plus brillants exploits
February 20, 2018, 07:02:22 pm

It was bloody brilliant seeing her totally risk everything and win but I have to comment on:

Then this competitor comes along. Riding on borrowed skis. She's a snowboarder who fancies a crack at skiing.

Firstly - The riding on borrowed skis smells like bulls**t to me. She's sponsored by Atomic, she's been racing on Atomic in the World cup last season and this season, why would she rock up to the Olympics without her skis?
Secondly – She was obviously not expected to get a medal, never mind a gold but she has placed top ten on the world cup circuit and been racing alpine skiing since 2010 so I think you are doing her a disservice in saying she just rocked up.

I know this makes me seem like a curmudgeonly old twat but the hyperbole is a bit over the top. Who was the favourite Will, Lara Gut?

Anyhoo, awesome to see someone do so well outside of the normal top ten finishers, especially as all the next six places were no surprise.

Yeah agree with this. Its great to see, but you can be flipping great at two disciplines and she takes both pretty seriously. 3 weeks rotation I recall?

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#155 Re: Fuck me, des plus brillants exploits
February 20, 2018, 08:24:50 pm
she's my hero, especially as she beat the oversponsored Lindsey Vonn.

As for boardercross, if you are tempted to have a crack

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/scottish-ski-boarder-cross-championships-2018-registration-32271124803?aff=ebdsorderfblightbox

unfortunately, I will be busy hustling and sandbagging in Slovakia that weekend

I have considered the indoor boardercross scene - although I have no idea of the current standard - things seem to have progressed since I last looked at the sport - I've always been shit in the air, but handle falls and collisions well

If I start training and they introduce an over 50 category in the near future, I might be up for it

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#156 Re: Fuck me, des plus brillants exploits
February 20, 2018, 10:13:54 pm
watching the women's big air yesterday, my wife brought to my attention the practice of creating a whisp or curl of hair either side of the goggles (usually blonde hair)

we have now started scoring this effort - and cheering the women who do not do this

(and pretending to shoot the women who do the bunny ears or lucky cat hand movements whilst bobbing their head from side to side)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#157 Re: Fuck me, des plus brillants exploits
February 20, 2018, 11:34:52 pm

Boo to you with your facts and your understanding of the sport. I have neither and it's a much better story without them.
 :)

galpinos

• forum hero
#158 Re: Fuck me, des plus brillants exploits
February 21, 2018, 08:50:04 am
watching the women's big air yesterday, my wife brought to my attention the practice of creating a whisp or curl of hair either side of the goggles (usually blonde hair)

we have now started scoring this effort - and cheering the women who do not do this

(and pretending to shoot the women who do the bunny ears or lucky cat hand movements whilst bobbing their head from side to side)

I'd noticed the hair thing and pointed it out to my wife. She is going to be sporting that look for St Anton at Easter, though she might have to grow her hair a bit. It is now very hard to "un-notice". I tried to correlate ability with hair whisps to no avail.

The one thing I found disappointing with the women's snowbaord "freestyle" events (not really seen any mens) is that none of them (apart from Yuka Fujimori but she's a snowboard cross rider turned slopestyler) really drive their boards. Watching the slopestyle, the tricks were there but getting between rails or jumps they didn't look very good at actually snowboarding (they obviously are) and certainly didn't do it with any style.

This may be just because I'm a skier but when I see snowboarders out and about there are the 90/95% who slide about making it look like the worst sport in the world, then there's the 5/10% who fly past carving their boards, rip though the powder in lovely floaty buttery turns and I question whether my choice of sticking to skis was the right one. I'd have thought the slopestyle Olympians would be in the 5/10% but they looked very "normal" between the gymnastic aerials.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#159 Re: Fuck me, des plus brillants exploits
February 21, 2018, 10:34:14 am
I'd noticed the hair thing and pointed it out to my wife. She is going to be sporting that look for St Anton at Easter

She'll be styling her way up Spare Rib with that look.

andy_e

• forum hero
#160 Re: Fuck me, des plus brillants exploits
February 21, 2018, 11:42:06 am
Its great to see, but you can be flipping great at two disciplines and she takes both pretty seriously.

Exactly, look at Nibs for example. Brilliant on both the fingerboard and the woody.

galpinos

• forum hero
#161 Re: Fuck me, des plus brillants exploits
February 21, 2018, 12:13:21 pm
I'd noticed the hair thing and pointed it out to my wife. She is going to be sporting that look for St Anton at Easter

She'll be styling her way up Spare Rib with that look.

I'm a bit lost?

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#162 Re: Fuck me, des plus brillants exploits
February 21, 2018, 12:21:19 pm
It was a Stanton/ St Anton joke.

galpinos

• forum hero
#163 Re: Fuck me, des plus brillants exploits
February 21, 2018, 12:43:04 pm
It was a Stanton/ St Anton joke.

Too clever for me..... Funny though, especially if you knew my wife's disdain for climbing!

galpinos

• forum hero
#164 Re: Fuck me, des plus brillants exploits
February 22, 2018, 09:43:55 am
You haven't misunderstood and that makes total sense. They look very passive on the board and as a skier, that looks wrong as skiing is very active.

And back on the subject of the WO, I'm, as ever, loving the skiercross. Still don't quite understand what would make you choose it as your discipline but it is quite the spectacle. It seems to have a not quite as bad but similar lottery style to it as the short track.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 10:50:25 am by shark »

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#165 Re: Fuck me, des plus brillants exploits
February 22, 2018, 10:55:17 am
Its great to see, but you can be flipping great at two disciplines and she takes both pretty seriously.

Exactly, look at Nibs for example. Brilliant on both the fingerboard and the woody.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I love this place.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#166 Re: Fuck me, des plus brillants exploits
February 22, 2018, 01:58:39 pm
Still don't quite understand what would make you choose it as your discipline but it is quite the spectacle. It seems to have a not quite as bad but similar lottery style to it as the short track.

Too slow to be any good at any of the downhill events, not stylish enough to do any slopestyle, dump enough to just go for it with complete distain for life or limb.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#167 Re: Fuck me, des plus brillants exploits
February 24, 2018, 10:28:13 pm

The one thing I found disappointing with the women's snowbaord "freestyle" events (not really seen any mens) is that none of them (apart from Yuka Fujimori but she's a snowboard cross rider turned slopestyler) really drive their boards. Watching the slopestyle, the tricks were there but getting between rails or jumps they didn't look very good at actually snowboarding (they obviously are) and certainly didn't do it with any style.

This may be just because I'm a skier but when I see snowboarders out and about there are the 90/95% who slide about making it look like the worst sport in the world, then there's the 5/10% who fly past carving their boards, rip though the powder in lovely floaty buttery turns and I question whether my choice of sticking to skis was the right one. I'd have thought the slopestyle Olympians would be in the 5/10% but they looked very "normal" between the gymnastic aerials.

Same thoughts here (apart from the choosing ski issue)

I thought they could all do with sharper edges - turns out they deliberately ride with blunt edges in slopestyle

when the occasional rider did a big carve to finish at the bottom (360 in a couple of cases), I felt they were doing so just to let us know that all that sideways skidding was a necessary evil of the event

I'm never going to be able to do any of those things that they did in the air and on the rails

SA Chris

• forum hero
#168 Re: Fuck me, des plus brillants exploits
February 25, 2018, 07:13:34 am
I think blunt edges are so you don’t hang up on rails. Anyway well done Billy Morgan!!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#169 Re: Fuck me, des plus brillants exploits
February 02, 2022, 08:49:38 am
It's that time again.

And David Ryding winning in Kitzbuhl has to be the biggest rank outsider win in sport for quite a while.

In spite of all the controversy about location, still psyched..

sxrxg

• obsessive maniac
#170 Re: Fuck me, des plus brillants exploits
February 02, 2022, 10:46:08 am
Bit harsh on Dave Ryding to call the win in Kitzbuhel like that... He has been consistently in and around the top 10 for the last couple of seasons, he has also finished 2nd in Kitzbuhel previously in 2017. Wouldn't exactly call him a rank outsider.

Anyway i'm really looking forward to the Olympics. The slopestyle course looks mega.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#171 Re: Fuck me, des plus brillants exploits
February 02, 2022, 11:08:13 am
Fair enough. I'll admit, I always considered him an "also ran" but never thought he had it in him to win anything, 2017 was a long time ago.

So much great stuff to watch, and BBC are doing better coverage than they did for the Olympics.

sxrxg

• obsessive maniac
#172 Re: Fuck me, des plus brillants exploits
February 02, 2022, 11:16:14 am
The British media only seem good at reporting when someone wins. And whilst 2017 was a long time ago he also had 3rd and 4th place finishes in World Cups last year however this isn't ever reproted as newsworthy...

peewee

• obsessive maniac
  • Wilko Baggins
  • If in doubt, Lock it out (Dynamically)
#173 Re: Fuck me, des plus brillants exploits
February 02, 2022, 01:17:56 pm
Pidcock becoming Cyclocross World Champ was missing from the news too, hitting various types of balls with bats and kicking balls was clearly more important news.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#174 Re: Fuck me, des plus brillants exploits
February 02, 2022, 01:56:14 pm
He's rampant right now. If you can win cyclocross, the other 2 are easy surely?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal