UKBouldering.com

The trance thread (Read 45658 times)

butterworthtom

• stalker
    • Incoherent Rambling's of a Lakes Boulderer
The trance thread
January 21, 2010, 01:34:31 am
I cant help noticing, there is a wee bit of trance love on  this forum. So be it old school or new school get it out...
I happen to love anjunabeats, so I will start with Aalto, Rush and Maor Levi, Reflect

butterworthtom

• stalker
    • Incoherent Rambling's of a Lakes Boulderer
#1 Re: The trance thread
January 21, 2010, 01:35:04 am

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#2 Re: The trance thread
January 21, 2010, 08:27:13 am
 :dance1: :dance1: :dance1: :dance1:
 :great: :great: :great:
 :bow: :bow:

sweeeeet.

dave

#3 Re: The trance thread
January 21, 2010, 09:05:50 am
with trance I'm strictly old school. talking energy52 "cafe del mar". push "universal nation". singum "what ya got 4 me". tony de vit "the dawn", Cygnus X "The Orange Theme"....

on a crossover trance/hardhouse tip, was anyone here into the stuff on the tinrib label, weirdo etc?

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#4 Re: The trance thread
January 21, 2010, 09:24:44 am
I got some Tinrib shizzle, quite good but kinda....well....doesn't grab me so much.

Me = Lab4, LSG, Reactivate 8-12 era.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#5 Re: The trance thread
January 21, 2010, 09:47:18 am

Complete with godawful homemade video
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 10:41:10 am by Bonjoy »

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#6 Re: The trance thread
January 21, 2010, 09:49:37 am
tony de vit "the dawn"

Amazing. But Hard House shirley.

dave

#7 Re: The trance thread
January 21, 2010, 09:50:59 am
You're probably right. It's a grey (not gay) area, there's a fair bit of crossover.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#8 Re: The trance thread
January 21, 2010, 09:55:14 am
True. Plenty of stuff was even labled Hard Trance. Whatever it's a fucking tune......

uptown

• junky
#9 Re: The trance thread
January 21, 2010, 10:05:09 am
The Daddy of all trance tracks -

I remember Bubs trying to mix this into some of his NOOM wax at my Everton road slum -  needed to 'tweek' my decks it's so slow.

dave

#10 Re: The trance thread
January 21, 2010, 10:13:53 am
shit, how could I forget AGE OF LOVE!!!??????! I got a CD single of this, a release with 11 defferent remixes - the whole CD hand a longer playing time than most albums. Every version was great.

Also some obscure trance/HH tracks for the collector:
astralia - mandala
epedemic - exit eee
man with no name - vavoom
Mantra To The Buddha - Baby Doc & The Dentist
Baloney - Lectrolux

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#11 Re: The trance thread
January 21, 2010, 10:24:12 am
Always loved this one. Think you had it in your record box UTG.

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#12 Re: The trance thread
January 21, 2010, 10:35:42 am
You can't put Tony De Vit in a trance thread, house - cheese or hard house maybe. I remember going to see him in like '93 and it has to be one of the worst sets I've ever seen.

Tinrib stuff was/is ok as is the Tidy stuff (Glazby/BK etc etc). There used to be a great night called Synergy in the Phoenix in Manchester, where they played all the time. This was all hard house/hard trance/hard style.

The god of trance is Sven Vath (not Paul van Dyk or Tiesto like punters believe) and for me that is where trance started. The best trance years were '94 to about 2001/2 in my opinion. Euro Labels like Eye-q, Harthouse, noom, suck-me-plasma and bonsai were churning out classics every week...

This was one of my trance faves on harthouse, I wasn't a real big fan of Hardfloor (as they were more minimal techno, which I do like but I prefer trance for the melodies)

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#13 Re: The trance thread
January 21, 2010, 10:42:34 am
Good shout on the humate choice Bonjoy. There were some classics on the platipus/rising high labels - Art of Trance, Poltergeist, Union Jack, Moogwai etc etc

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#14 Re: The trance thread
January 21, 2010, 10:45:11 am
Quality trance from '94...

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#15 Re: The trance thread
January 21, 2010, 10:52:20 am
On the hard trance front, one of the biggest anthems was Commander Tom on Noom: (absolutely awesome synths)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#16 Re: The trance thread
January 21, 2010, 10:54:55 am
I remember seeing Astralasia at the Arches a good few years ago, t'was a great night

Eat Static and more generally the Megadog events were always guarenteed to be great nights.  Vague recollections of a blinding Megadog night at the old Corporation  :bounce:

dave

#17 Re: The trance thread
January 21, 2010, 11:01:03 am
On the hard trance front, one of the biggest anthems was Commander Tom on Noom: (absolutely awesome synths)

I think somewhere I've got a Noom album/compilation, I'll have to dig it out.

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#18 Re: The trance thread
January 21, 2010, 11:15:06 am
I remember seeing Astralasia at the Arches a good few years ago, t'was a great night
Eat Static and more generally the Megadog events were always guarenteed to be great nights.  Vague recollections of a blinding Megadog night at the old Corporation  :bounce:
Yeah - the megadog nights were awesome, got some good memories from them. Pretty sure I saw Billy Nasty at a megadog night, although could be wrong, the clubbing days were a bit of a blur  ;D

I never really got into psy-trance to be honest, I went towards hard-trance and hardstyle, although this one from Yahel has to be one of the best trance melodies ever:

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#19 Re: The trance thread
January 21, 2010, 11:18:06 am
Yeah - I have that one too, some great tunes. As Fiend said above, the Reactivate compilations were really good (10 being the best). I bought 3 copies of that LP as I kept wearing it out on my decks :)

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#20 Re: The trance thread
January 21, 2010, 11:22:38 am
Another amazing compilation series was Trancemaster on the German label Vision Sound Carriers. They are still going today too...

Trancemaster's 10 - 20 ish were the best.

dave

#21 Re: The trance thread
January 21, 2010, 11:27:01 am
Yeah - I have that one too, some great tunes. As Fiend said above, the Reactivate compilations were really good (10 being the best). I bought 3 copies of that LP as I kept wearing it out on my decks :)

Word this one was by far my favourite reactivate (what an awesome series of CD covers though - they were all works of art):

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#22 Re: The trance thread
January 21, 2010, 11:31:13 am
Fuck yeah - Dave. The Transcend track off that is awesome!! All the reactivates were superb, not quite sure about 17 though. It put me off so I have never listened to 18. Not sure if they did any more after that?
It's a shame that you can't get decent trance any more. I read an article a while back where Paul Van Dyk said that something like 95% of all modern trance is shite and it's difficult to find good tunes.. completely agree.

dave

#23 Re: The trance thread
January 21, 2010, 11:41:13 am
yeah that 13 one if full of premium grade bangers. binary finary 1998 for fucks sake - what a record. olmec heads - lift off - awesome. Another good and a bit more varied series were those react test samplers, I have got quite a few of those.

Reminded me of another few good tracks - moonman "don't be afraid", three drives "greece 2000" etc etc.

The reason I kinda drifted away from trance/HH was it just got a bit too popular/mainstream and charty around the turn of the century, everything got shit. Even tidytrax started putting out gash records, then tinrib folded and I lost interest in cherrypicking the odd track off the odd complitation. Realised that I had a far better time listing to shit from '95 like the original Carl Cox - The Fact compliation, thats fucking monumnetal.

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#24 Re: The trance thread
January 21, 2010, 11:49:43 am
Feckin too right, I have been trying to get hold of the mixed version of the FACT album, I can only find the unmixed tracks, which I have already.

I went to see Carl Cox in Lakota in Bristol just when FACT came out. He was supposed to be playing a 4 hour set - 12-4am. He got to 4 and the place was rocking so much, he played another 4 hours till 8am. Absolute fucking legend, easily the best night clubbing I've ever had. I couldn't walk for a week afterwards, my legs were fecked from dancing like a loon.  ;D
The high strength speed may have had a small part to play in that  :lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal