UKBouldering.com

Accapi/ Nexus - Oh dear (Read 87211 times)

butterworthtom

• stalker
    • Incoherent Rambling's of a Lakes Boulderer
Accapi/ Nexus - Oh dear
January 10, 2010, 12:43:49 pm
I just saw this:
http://www.accapi.co.uk/nexus/
I can't help but think it is a complete load of crap, so I thought I would share it with you all! They seem to have been around for a long time somehow?

"Accapi Nexus products are made using the Nexus Energy Source fibre; this unique fibre incorporates a platinum, titanium and aluminium matrix into its weave which emits light across the infra red spectrum."

"The science is very simple; the human body is one great big biochemical system, with millions of interactions happening simultaneously. All of these biochemical pathways are in part carried out in the presence of water, whether it be the availability of potassium during the Krebs Cycle or the oxygenation of haemoglobin, the potential of these processes is controlled by water. Nexus is proven to promote cellular metabolism, increase muscular capillarisation, and improve muscle tissue oxygenation through its direct effect on the intra cellular alignment of water molecules."  :wall:

It almost feels like they are trying to blind people with science. The worst part is that people seem to believe it.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1 Re: Accapi/ Nexus - Oh dear
January 10, 2010, 12:58:35 pm
UKC have actually got a long-term test going on, have heard of some big climbing names endorsing it.

Bizarre. Would you class it as a placebo effect, or something more like religion?

Stubbs

#2 Re: Accapi/ Nexus - Oh dear
January 10, 2010, 01:16:17 pm
have heard of some big climbing names endorsing it.

Like this http://www.scarpa.co.uk/team/blogs.asp?blogID=902&TeamID=17

will interesting what the results of the UKC test are!

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
#3 Re: Accapi/ Nexus - Oh dear
January 10, 2010, 01:21:16 pm
will interesting what the results of the UKC test are!

Not sure. UKC reviews/tests rarely say anything bad about anything in case they put off potential advertising revenue.

cowboyhat

• forum hero
#4 Re: Accapi/ Nexus - Oh dear
January 10, 2010, 01:32:36 pm
I'd never heard of this but it sounds amazing.

They haven't mentioned it improves your posture:

clm

• forum hero
#5 Re: Accapi/ Nexus - Oh dear
January 10, 2010, 01:56:29 pm

nic mullin

• menacing presence
#6 Re: Accapi/ Nexus - Oh dear
January 10, 2010, 02:15:22 pm

Fucking Jesus. Looks like Dr Gillian McKeith has branched out.

It almost feels like they are trying to blind people with science a cloud of molten horseshit.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#7 Re: Accapi/ Nexus - Oh dear
January 10, 2010, 03:09:25 pm
Peer reviewed double blind research?

matthew

• menacing presence
#8 Re: Accapi/ Nexus - Oh dear
January 10, 2010, 03:33:27 pm
PlanetFear seem to be really pushing this gear as well.  A hefty price tag for a punter to deal with.
Maybe a Placebo effect?

benj_d

• menacing presence
#9 Re: Accapi/ Nexus - Oh dear
January 10, 2010, 04:14:02 pm
I know the guy who is part owner of accapi in the uk, hes bigged it up (obviously). But him asides, I've spoken to the likes of andy earl and chris graham and they reckon its brilliant, mostly just for quick recovery really, the rest of the guys at climb newcastle rate it for the same reason. HOWEVER, going back to the part owner I know he reckons if I wore a top for 2 weeks it could improve my bouldering grade by a whole grade or two within that time, I'm not convinced though, I think the quick recovery is true and probably great but personally I just cant get past the price tag. Also if you are a climber there is no point in getting the short sleeve tshirt, needs to be a long sleeve to get the most out of it.

adam_NE5

• regular
#10 Re: Accapi/ Nexus - Oh dear
January 10, 2010, 04:17:05 pm
They definately seem to be eliminating the bouldering market by charging £170 for the privellage of their long sleeved base layer! :o
I patched a pair of shoes with a puncture repair kit once because I couldn't afford new ones, even when that didn't work I didn't get new ones for a while I'm not about to spend that much on a top that will get ripped when I next climb in Yorkshire  ;D

clm

• forum hero
#11 Re: Accapi/ Nexus - Oh dear
January 10, 2010, 04:25:02 pm
I know the guy who is part owner of accapi in the uk, hes bigged it up (obviously). But him asides, I've spoken to the likes of andy earl and chris graham and they reckon its brilliant, mostly just for quick recovery really, the rest of the guys at climb newcastle rate it for the same reason. HOWEVER, going back to the part owner I know he reckons if I wore a top for 2 weeks it could improve my bouldering grade by a whole grade or two within that time, I'm not convinced though, I think the quick recovery is true and probably great but personally I just cant get past the price tag. Also if you are a climber there is no point in getting the short sleeve tshirt, needs to be a long sleeve to get the most out of it.

...But the science quoted is tripe as far as my limited knowledge goes.  Any docs on here to confirm this?  'beef?  GCW?  Aligning water molecules?  WTF!!  Emitting infra red?  A garment that can produce energy?  WTF!!  Law of conservation of energy - its got to come from somewhere.  Does the top have a pwer source? Does the top lose mass?  Can the tops run the national grid and stop global warming?
Utter shite.
Good recovery is largely good nutrition ive found.  mmmm chicken.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#12 Re: Accapi/ Nexus - Oh dear
January 10, 2010, 04:50:58 pm
Its all utter bollocks as far as science goes, 'quantum' is even mentioned which is a sure sign of quackery. But when you've got a bunch of top athletes giving glowing reports its going to shift a few - how much do they get paid? There was supposedly a scientist reviewing it on UKC, I hope he is allowed to speak his mind...

account_inactive

• forum hero
#13 Re: Accapi/ Nexus - Oh dear
January 10, 2010, 04:51:49 pm
I think the quick recovery is true.......

I think the claims are hugely exaggerated even if the science makes sense (in principle).  I'm less likely to believe people getting free gear rather than some scrap of scientific evidence for these ridiculous claims. I wait to be proved wrong

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#14 Re: Accapi/ Nexus - Oh dear
January 10, 2010, 04:55:35 pm
the science makes sense (in principle)

Really? Which bit?

infra-red can also increase hydration by de-clustering water molecules so that the body can more easily absorb water."

Paul B

• forum hero
#15 Re: Accapi/ Nexus - Oh dear
January 10, 2010, 04:59:06 pm
infra-red can also increase hydration by de-clustering water molecules so that the body can more easily absorb water."

Whats wrong with just drinking some good old H20?

nic mullin

• menacing presence
#16 Re: Accapi/ Nexus - Oh dear
January 10, 2010, 05:20:48 pm
...But the science quoted is tripe as far as my limited knowledge goes.

Perhaps these observations will help anybody in any doubt decide.

The only information available about any trials or experiments upon their products, or anything like them, is on their own website. The only one that has any detail tested a whole 6 people. They do not give sufficient details for anybody to repeat their experiments. "Placebo" is spelt wrong in the write up of that study. The only people who recommend it either got the product for free, or do so on the basis of second hand info from people who got it for free.   

On that basis, my opinion is that they're full of shit. Or tripping balls from drinking too much photonized waterTM - My uncle's mate's brother knows somebody who did a clinical trial on that, and all his mates thought it was wicked.

adam_NE5

• regular
#17 Re: Accapi/ Nexus - Oh dear
January 10, 2010, 05:36:51 pm
It basically comes down to this:

A top that magically heals you and makes you climb harder; it is too good to be true and I'm not paying £170 of my hard earned to find out I'm right!

saltbeef

• forum hero
#18 Re: Accapi/ Nexus - Oh dear
January 10, 2010, 06:12:57 pm
HOWEVER, going back to the part owner I know he reckons if I wore a top for 2 weeks it could improve my bouldering grade by a whole grade or two within that time,

Hahahahahahahahaha!
This sounds absolutely fantastic!

A top that gives you 2 grades in 2 weeks! Is it gonna stop it snowing too?

butterworthtom

• stalker
    • Incoherent Rambling's of a Lakes Boulderer
#19 Re: Accapi/ Nexus - Oh dear
January 10, 2010, 06:47:44 pm
All of this has given me a plan. :goodidea: I could make climbing holds with a built in platinum, titanium and aluminium matrix which will emit a spectrum of infra red light, resulting in a lower chance of injury and making it easier to climb harder grades, all the while keeping you hands pleasingly warm because of the infra red radiation emitted.
This is scientifically proven to line my pockets with a valuable paper-ink matrix, which boosts morale and improves credit rating.

tomtom

• forum hero
#20 Re: Accapi/ Nexus - Oh dear
January 10, 2010, 07:05:03 pm
I'm a scientist.
I've just read the web page and this is what I think of their 'science':

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#21 Re: Accapi/ Nexus - Oh dear
January 10, 2010, 07:07:10 pm
What a crock of psuedo scientific bullshit.

It improves oxygenation?  Fk me, better tell the medics, fuck the expensive kit needed to help people with low o2 sats, just slap them between bed sheets made of this shit!

I think it's time the ASA looked at this and asked them to come up with some evidence. 

dave

#22 Re: Accapi/ Nexus - Oh dear
January 10, 2010, 07:08:48 pm
Maybe Earl and the geordies are just more succeptable to placebos than the rest of us? They do wear scarpas afterall.

adam_NE5

• regular
#23 Re: Accapi/ Nexus - Oh dear
January 10, 2010, 07:30:00 pm
They do wear scarpas afterall.
Not all of us, Five ten all the way!

;D

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#24 Re: Accapi/ Nexus - Oh dear
January 10, 2010, 07:35:22 pm
Well I've just been a good e-citizen and emailed a copy of the ad to Dr Ben Goldacre and the ASA.

Nexus aligns the water molecule on an intracellular level. Practically this has been proven to improve or increase the elements of performance. Elements including blood and liquid flow, oxygenation, hydration, power output and core stability, lactic acid regulation, and thermoregulation.

Show me your proof boys!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal