UKBouldering.com

gooDADvice (Read 241562 times)

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#450 Re: gooDADvice
March 31, 2015, 08:29:00 am
Fuck me, 3T. If Una continues at this rate I expect you'll be dead of a heart attack by 45.
First the birth and now that fright? Let us not forget that 3T basically delivered his own child (I'm sure Fiona had some part in it as well) - which is probably the manliest "Don't worry, I got this" thing that anyone can do.

Well done, sir. You and your Fiona are clearly competent parents.

If only Will - the birth was all Fiona's work...I just stood there agog while it all unfolded in front of me, and in this case it was Fiona doing the hard work while I panicked and called the ambulance!

To Sloper's point, I clearly need to work on my stepping forward and getting stuck in...

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#451 Re: gooDADvice
March 31, 2015, 09:30:20 am
Good stuff here... Now some bum wiping advice please!

My daughters (now 23 and 17) were well behaved, did as they were told and generally were a pleasure to bring up. This included general life skills learning like bum wiping. Now the munchkin (6) is a completely different kettle of fish, great fun and lovely but completely disinterested in learning life skills/doing things for himself and generally listening! He's pretty much mastered dressing and washing himself (though he would clearly rather not) but bum wiping is a continual headache! So...

1. Is this a "boy" thing?
2. Any tips on teaching bum wiping specifically?

Cheers...

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#452 Re: gooDADvice
March 31, 2015, 09:45:41 am
What, you wipe your own bum?

tomtom

• forum hero
#453 Re: gooDADvice
March 31, 2015, 09:59:06 am
bitty Will?

nik at work

• forum hero
#454 Re: gooDADvice
March 31, 2015, 10:17:58 am
It's a boy thing.
Our eldest is much the same, he is however awesome at lego. Swings and roundabouts innit?

On the helpful advice front after step by step instructions with worked examples we finally got somewhere. Flushing and hand washing remain distant dreams...

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
#455 Re: gooDADvice
March 31, 2015, 10:33:29 am
It's a boy thing.
Our eldest is much the same, he is however awesome at lego. Swings and roundabouts innit?

On the helpful advice front after step by step instructions with worked examples we finally got somewhere. Flushing and hand washing remain distant dreams...
Hand what?

Have you tried those funny flushable wipe things? My eldest uses them. Not convinced on their environmental claims. I noticed a survey suggesting a marked rise in the number of wipes found on english beaches only a couple of weeks ago. Anyhow, they might be the gimmick he needs

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#456 Re: gooDADvice
March 31, 2015, 11:15:18 am
Being totally rubbish at listening, remembering and following instruction definitely seems to be a boy thing. I have no idea how my son's brain works sometimes as he has a photographic memory for historical facts, cricket stats, words and anything to do with numbers but sometimes still puts his shoes on the wrong feet and forgets to wipe his arse / wash his hair or hands or face....

I guess kids are just good at what they find interesting and with boys, learning how to clean themselves isn't high on the list of interesting things. Whereas Minecraft is.
 :wall:

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#457 Re: gooDADvice
March 31, 2015, 11:31:29 am
Youngest daughter (6) is still in nappies at night and has similar issues in the cleaning department. She has a dairy intolerance.
This is extremely subtle and took many years to piece together a lot of vague symptoms.
Children with such intolerances don't complain about stomach ache, because they have always had stomach ache and don't recognise it as unusual or wrong.
My nephew, who had a similar, more severe intolerance, was still having "accidents" at 8 years old.
The symptoms are way too varied and subtle to detail here, but have a Google.

Though, youngest son (also 6), has no intolerances that we know of and still shit the bed a couple of weeks ago...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tomtom

• forum hero
#458 Re: gooDADvice
March 31, 2015, 11:43:20 am
Youngest daughter (6) is still in nappies at night and has similar issues in the cleaning department. She has a dairy intolerance.
This is extremely subtle and took many years to piece together a lot of vague symptoms.
Children with such intolerances don't complain about stomach ache, because they have always had stomach ache and don't recognise it as unusual or wrong.
My nephew, who had a similar, more severe intolerance, was still having "accidents" at 8 years old.
The symptoms are way too varied and subtle to detail here, but have a Google.

Though, youngest son (also 6), has no intolerances that we know of and still shit the bed a couple of weeks ago...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Friends son (now 8) has multiple food allergies - and it took them about 3 years of mainly trial and error to work out what was bad for him... now its all fine....

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#459 Re: gooDADvice
March 31, 2015, 12:20:25 pm
Thanks guys, glad to know it's a boy thing and I've not all of a sudden lost all parenting skills!

Quote from: Will
What, you wipe your own bum?
This was Nate's actual reply to me saying he was going to have to wipe his own bum for the rest of his life...

Quote from: Nik
Flushing and hand washing remain distant dreams...
Ha!

Quote from: Jasper
Whereas Minecraft is
Totally!

Quote from: andyd
funny flushable wipe things?
yeah we have these, I don't think he's quite grasped what they're for yet, but will persevere!

I've been hugely blessed to have three illness free kids. These matters are fairly trivial compared to what a lot of people have to deal with!

Thanks again...

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#460 Re: gooDADvice
March 31, 2015, 12:27:27 pm
Being totally rubbish at listening, remembering and following instruction definitely seems to be a boy thing. I have no idea how my son's brain works sometimes as he has a photographic memory for historical facts, cricket stats, words and anything to do with numbers but sometimes still puts his shoes on the wrong feet and forgets to wipe his arse / wash his hair or hands or face....

I guess kids are just good at what they find interesting and with boys, learning how to clean themselves isn't high on the list of interesting things. Whereas Minecraft is.

Sounds about right. I was treated by 5 yo son to a lengthy explanation about garden birds the other morning (topic at school); which ones can be found where and when, feeding habits of each and how to differntiate males from females. But ask him to get undressed and put pyjamas on and 15 minutes later he'll be lying in his room with trousers half off, pyjamas half on, playing out some Lego scenario whilst reading a book.

Little sister (nearly 3) on the other hand is toilet trained, washes hands herself, and like to choose her own clothes and dress herself (well at least try to).

You would swear they were from different planets.....

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#461 Re: gooDADvice
March 31, 2015, 04:28:05 pm
As an employee of your water and wastewater service provider, Andy, I feel duty bound to inform you that you are responsible for all the pollution incidents in Yorkshire, ever... maybe.
The wipes ain't flushable. They might get down the bog alright but they don't disintegrate in the sewer. Clogging pumps, clinging and clogging in sewage pipes, potentially being discharged during heavy rainfall if the discharge is not screened etc etc.
Nasty things. Don't flush em. Worst case scenario for you is flushing the shitter and the contents of the sewer coming back up into your bathroom.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#462 Re: gooDADvice
March 31, 2015, 05:09:18 pm
Never had a problem with the macerators or treatment systems using "moist toilet tissue".
Wet Wipes, yes.
Only surpassed by the incident of the Tea spoons and the case of the mysterious sweat shirt (I'll never workout how they flushed that bloody thing).

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#464 Re: gooDADvice
March 31, 2015, 10:36:32 pm
It's now mandatory for all nurseries to have a millies trust trained member of staff I believe.

I'm delighted all is ok.

I understand In some parts of Europe Basic Life Support is a core part of the school curriculum.

See lifesaver.org for all the algorithms, adult and child, and interactive education. It's rather good.

Frankly.... As I've said before.... If as a member of our society and you don't know BLS... Well, fuck you. I truly believe we owe each and every one of us BLS. Esp for the rare occasion out on the hill.

Just re read this. Sorry if its a bit strong, but for the purposes of this thread... Please go to the site.. And  get a couple of hours night school / free emergency services tuition, please....

SA Chris

• forum hero
#465 Re: gooDADvice
April 09, 2015, 10:02:24 am
Here's a fine old conundrum..

Kyle (5 last Xmas) was at holiday club at local centre. He usually goes there 3 mornings a week and 3 afternoons before and after school so knows it quite well. Tuesday was his first day there this holiday (he's been before at half term for a day) and they were doing an outside activity, and he "got bored" and decided to go home (half mile walk), crossing 2 roads along the way (which can get quite busy, but luckily not at 2pm) and went to our front door and tried to get in. He was spotted by a man out walking dog, and the two teenage neighbours were home, so they went and got him, took him to there house, and left a note on the door. Holiday club noticed he was missing and raised alarm, they went to our house and saw note, and went and got him. So fortunately no harm done, but could have been a very different scenario if he'd decide to walk down to beach, or been knocked down, or someone had taken him....

Obviously a failing on the part of the club, and they have put together an action plan to prevent similar things happening again and he was adamant he's "a big boy and can look after himself".

He's quite good at road crossing as we've drilled it into him, but how do you address stranger danger without making him paranoid, and reign in that adventurous spirit without crushing it.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#466 Re: gooDADvice
April 09, 2015, 10:31:10 am
Shit the bed!!! You're very matter of fact about it Chris, I reckon my missus would have been kicking off big time! Glad it all worked out ok in the end...

kelvin

• forum hero
#467 Re: gooDADvice
April 09, 2015, 10:32:38 am
Blimey Chris - just worrying about him crossing the roads is enough eh?

Not sure how you do go about addressing 'stranger danger', as my daughter was always very shy as a youngster and hung onto our coat tails. My lad (Kyle also incidentally) was always no bother with stuff like this, so never had this worry.

Like you say - you really don't want to crush an adventurous and confident spirit. Most of my greatest adventures have happened just because I have gone off with strangers! As an adult mind you but my parents never really instilled a fear of strangers into me and for that I'll be forever grateful.

Teenagers often get bad press, so nice to see you have decent ones as neighbors.

tomtom

• forum hero
#468 Re: gooDADvice
April 09, 2015, 10:36:36 am
I bet that was a shock! Or was it one of those so 'out there' moments it felt bizarrely fine?

Though, this is in many ways a good tale. If you read the Daily Mail (etc..) its easy to think there is a constant stream of child molesters patrolling the streets in anonymous white vans waiting to lure people away - and your tale recounts decent, normal folk doing what 99% of the population would to to help.

Multiple GPS trackers sewn into every item of clothing.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#469 Re: gooDADvice
April 09, 2015, 10:37:59 am
Where we live is pretty quiet, not like the badlands of Sheffield or Manchester. We were both obviously upset and concerned about what could have happened, but nothing did. Being alive is a series of near miss incidents anyway!

The club have said we can raise a complaint with the care commission, but as long as they are doing a full investigation and putting steps in place to prevent a repeat occurrence there's not much point.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#470 Re: gooDADvice
April 09, 2015, 10:42:09 am
I bet that was a shock! Or was it one of those so 'out there' moments it felt bizarrely fine?

Though, this is in many ways a good tale. If you read the Daily Mail (etc..) its easy to think there is a constant stream of child molesters patrolling the streets in anonymous white vans waiting to lure people away - and your tale recounts decent, normal folk doing what 99% of the population would to to help.

Multiple GPS trackers sewn into every item of clothing.

Truth is, but the time we found out about the crisis was already over. Missus had to deal with it as I was up against a really tight deadling at work. We were thinking about attaching an http://www.itagfinder.com/ to the back of his skull.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#471 Re: gooDADvice
April 09, 2015, 10:47:02 am
http://goo.gl/maps/rtCEk

here's the route btw. So many "what if"s. Newtonhill Bay is the only place on the coast for a fair distance without steep cliffs.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#472 Re: gooDADvice
April 09, 2015, 11:03:48 am
Not sure how you do go about addressing 'stranger danger', as my daughter was always very shy as a youngster and hung onto our coat tails. My lad (Kyle also incidentally) was always no bother with stuff like this, so never had this worry.

Both of ours are quite confident with strangers, she's younger so normally follows his cue. If anyone came along and offered him a shot on their iPad, he'd happily wander off.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#473 gooDADvice
April 09, 2015, 11:49:05 am
Ours are exceptionally confident with strangers. Something which has only worsened since we opened the climbing wall and they spend so much time with strangers.
So we just flat out told them the dangers.
We also taught them some self defense and keep drumming it in.
They are, without doubt, the four riders of the Apocalypse and strangers have more to fear from them than the reverse (ask Andrei Burton, who was trying to film a MB movie yesterday on Dartmoor, with full film crew, drones et al, and my youngest Daughter kept barging into shot and asking questions).

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#474 Re: gooDADvice
April 30, 2015, 11:51:10 am
Check this out!!

Sorry for the MASSIVE PHOTO!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal