UKBouldering.com

Anywhere where theres not too much snow?? (Read 17890 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
Anywhere where theres not too much snow??
December 18, 2009, 08:18:36 am
Hello,
Some how, I seem to have nothing in the diary today, and looking out of the window here in normally grey Manchester its looking beautiful outside (though cold and possibly windy)..
I was thinking of getting out for a couple of hours over lunchtime, and wondered what access might be like to Plantation - or an alternative would be Almscliff (suspect the roads might be better but if theres a wind... brr...). Any Beta on snowfall/levels in these areas?
Also, anyone else want to come out?
Off to scrape the GF's car clean...
T

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Churnet? If you can get there, wrights is great in the snow.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
I was going to head Burbage way, but I'm not sure it'd be snow free (and then there's the Snake to negotiate). 
Beta would be of value for me also, although I could swing a Cliff visit.

tomtom

• forum hero
I was going to head Burbage way, but I'm not sure it'd be snow free (and then there's the Snake to negotiate). 
Beta would be of value for me also, although I could swing a Cliff visit.

Thinking about it over some toast I recon the Cliff might be the best bet ~ fairly flat/gentle approach roads. I suspect most of the main roads will be fine but the wee ones up near the crag might be interesting... Any local beta on what the small roads are like around there? News 24 is saying its not great in Harrogate..?

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
There's only a light dusting of snow in the peak (between Sheffield and Buxton anyway), minor roads are icy but mostly passable with care.

Problem with the Plantation will be top-outs I imagine.  I went to the Roaches yesterday afternoon and while anything facing the sun was clean and dry, the tops of boulders and anything in the shade was covered in hoar or slime.  Your best bet will probably be problems that don't top out.  Somewhere like Remergence probably ideal.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
Brimham?  Would be more sheltered, but would it be wet?
Otherwise I'll pack some extra jumpers and head to the Cliff of hot aches.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
I know the cave is going to be dry

tomtom

• forum hero
Brimham?  Would be more sheltered, but would it be wet?
Otherwise I'll pack some extra jumpers and head to the Cliff of hot aches.

Might see you at the cliff later then...
If anyone wants a lift over from Manc then drop me a PM,
T

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
I may have a brief look at Brimham, but I suspect I'll be sat at the Cliff shivering and.  If you see a lanky twat in a shit blue jacket with a shit red mat, say hello  :wave:

Brolly

• regular
    • The Depot
Cliff for me.  In east leeds at the momment, very little wind, blue skys and a fair covering off snow.

Hopefully see you there!

Ol

tomtom

• forum hero
I may have a brief look at Brimham, but I suspect I'll be sat at the Cliff shivering and.  If you see a lanky twat in a shit blue jacket with a shit red mat, say hello  :wave:

OK, see you later - watch out for the tall punter with grey snap camo mat...

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
Nice to see Brolly there, although I only did 2 problems before I finally succumbed.  -5 when I arrived, and the wind certainly didn't help!

andy_e

• forum hero
Whitehouses was wet so I went for a drive...

Stubbs

Was DWR dry and was there meltwater dripping on the arete of DBS? Pretty psyhched abouth the forecast for tomorrrow if I can get warmed up!

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
Was DWR dry and was there meltwater dripping on the arete of DBS? Pretty psyhched abouth the forecast for tomorrrow if I can get warmed up!

When I arrived it was dry but covered in snow.  I brushed it off planning to return once warmed up (yeah, right) but later the whole face and Pebble Wall was running water.

If all the snow from the top melts today and no more comes, you may be OK.

tomtom

• forum hero
I didnt make it (this could be in the NNFN or YYFY thread...)  :-[

There are three ways up to the cliff, and I tried the first (from Otley). Looked clear when I got off the main road, then turned to compacted snow/ice. I made it up and down the first hill, then the road drops down then up and right a wee bit more steeply (not at all steep though...). I've driven quite a bit in snow and ice, so got a bit of speed up (though not stupid) but just slowed down to a stop 1/2 way up the hill - just wheel spinning... Decided to go backwards - just roll back down the hill but the front started moving faster than the back. Pretty soon I was sideways across a 1 1/2 track road!
I ended up getting out and pushing the nose of the car around on the ice until it was pointing nearly down hill, then kind of managed to squirm my way back down - including a brief forrray into the frozen mud/grass on the side - got to the bottom where someone had cast some salt and charged back to the main road. It was nearly very embarrasing. I would like to say a big thanks to the land rover driver who turned up - saw I was stuck and turned around and fucked off!
I then went had a look at way up to the cliff number 2 - turned up there and encontered another hill - and this time thought better of it and gave up...

Gave a pal in Leeds a ring who I'd not seen since he had a nasty accident and went and kept him company for a couple of hours!

Moral of story is that BMW estates are great when it is dry/wet (& fun when muddy) but a fucking fat 1.5 tonne sack of shit in the snow!

I'm glad you all made it Brolly and GCW - but be careful how you get there anyone else!

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
I came across from the Menwith Hill side, and on the turn off towards Little Almscliff clear road turned into snow.  I slid wide and went up and down the kurb.  I had visions of suspension hanging off, but as far as I can tell there's just a doink in the alloy.  I'm surprised the tyre isn't flat, but so far so good- could have been worse.

It was certainly an exciting drive!!

tomtom

• forum hero
I came across from the Menwith Hill side, and on the turn off towards Little Almscliff clear road turned into snow.  I slid wide and went up and down the kurb.  I had visions of suspension hanging off, but as far as I can tell there's just a doink in the alloy.  I'm surprised the tyre isn't flat, but so far so good- could have been worse.

Good skills! I just dreaded meeting anything coming the other way - as once I stopped - that was it!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Why have you got allows on your Land Rover GCW?

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
Cos it's pimped like Dave.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
There ya go.  Not much of it I'm afraid, but I hope it gives the impression of the non-warmth of today :lol:

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds

reminds me of when I went up George's lane one night to walk up Rivington pike because it felt like a good idea - two collapsed brake shoes and a tyre later I didn't think it was that good an idea.... that road is attrocious...

andy_e

• forum hero
i was fine going up the raikes bear whitehouses until a van coming the other way caused me to pull over and stop- bad idea, i had to reverse all the way back down the hill!

sjw

• obsessive maniac
That video is dead good, it looked class up there. I'm holding out for Caley on sunday but no doubt that we'll end up at the cliff instead.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
It was sooo close to being brilliant:   if the sun hadn't melted the snow at the top, and things had dried up a bit.  Unfortunately, it was not to be and there wasn't enough climbable to stay warmed up.

Glad you like the video, snow is brilliant for making places look good!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal