Cheese on Toast (Read 60012 times)

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#25 Re: Cheese on Toast
November 23, 2009, 10:40:51 pm
bite-pull-getslapped on the chin by a piece of superheated fruit

5mm of manly stubble is enough to protect one from even the worst thermally dense toasted sandwich* ingredients

* includes "open" sandwiches
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 10:52:06 pm by lagerstarfish »

tomtom

• forum hero
#26 Re: Cheese on Toast
November 23, 2009, 10:50:40 pm
Seeing as its been opened up to any toasted bread/topping combo...

Bacon, banana and cheese melt (on french bread)... trust me, it works...

twas my favourite breakfast when working in Oz once...

Bobling

• menacing presence
#27 Re: Cheese on Toast
November 23, 2009, 10:54:44 pm
ham is also good in there

Yeah I was going to throw that one in there, but you have to rip it up small to avoid pulling slabs of melted cheese off, leaving you with a piece of merely soggy toast.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#28 Re: Cheese on Toast
November 23, 2009, 11:48:11 pm

This. Food of the Gods!

Also, who the flaming smegma only toasts one side of the bread?? Are you mad?? Do you really want to eat an oddball combination of toast, cheese, and sputumy slime in between?? It's called cheese ON TOAST not cheese on half-toasted bread  :rtfm: :spank: :wall:

P.S. Mature cheddar with a dash of lemon and pepper, stilton, or Y Fenni. NO egg and NO fruit.

DaveC

• junky
  • Old skool...with emphasis on the "old".
#29 Re: Cheese on Toast
November 24, 2009, 12:23:17 am
Over here we have the perfect tool for making toasted cheese sandwiches:

http://www.sunbeam.com.au/Pages/Browse/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=1192

Honestly, the end result is just about perfect.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#30 Re: Cheese on Toast
November 24, 2009, 08:25:01 am
I feel a line must be drawn here. I cannot allow this thread to digress into toasted sandwiches, which I feel are a totally different subsection of bread based cullinary delights. I feel uni-slice only for this thread?

Bi-slice needs to go elsewhere (and that thing looks like a George Formby :) Grill anyway).

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#31 Re: Cheese on Toast
November 24, 2009, 08:31:04 am
who the flaming smegma only toasts one side of the bread

I like my cheese to be just about browned.  In order to do this using toasted bread, you need to either:
1.  Turn any exposed bread to charcoal rendering the whole thing rather horrid
2.  Coat all the bread (toast) with cheese.  This results in the protection of the underlying bread (toast) but means the cheese runs over the sides as it melts, and collects in the grill pan.  When my wife finds it the week after it's all gone nasty, so this is a poor solution.

By not toasting the cheese side, I can brown the cheese and lightly toast any exposed bread.  NO cheese drippage, no charcoal.

Mad?  Insane?  I think not.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#32 Re: Cheese on Toast
November 24, 2009, 08:39:26 am

Also, who the flaming smegma only toasts one side of the bread??

I do

Are you mad??

Possibly, but we don't use the M word around here

Do you really want to eat an oddball combination of toast, cheese, and sputumy slime in between??

Sounds like you are inviting me to share a Quarter Pounder With Cheese  :-\

Luckily for you I am not about to stoop to slinging Maccy D insults about....

Have a Burger king insult instead

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#33 Re: Cheese on Toast
November 24, 2009, 08:44:44 am
By not toasting the cheese side, I can brown the cheese and lightly toast any exposed bread.  NO cheese drippage, no charcoal.

But if you only toast one side, when you put the cheese on the bread the bread has no shape to it, so it droops down. This is of course that you heathens are using super fat, fluffy white bread. I use bread from a bread maker, and use slices which are about 2cm thick.

Does anyone else make a checkerboard pattern between Cheddar and Red Leicester?

tomtom

• forum hero
#34 Re: Cheese on Toast
November 24, 2009, 08:53:27 am

But if you only toast one side, when you put the cheese on the bread the bread has no shape to it, so it droops down. This is of course that you heathens are using super fat, fluffy white bread. I use bread from a bread maker, and use slices which are about 2cm thick.

Yup - those 'one side toasters'  :furious: leave the bread under the cheese soggy and clammy.  :rtfm: its cheese ON toast.. not toasted cheese on bread...

GCW - ever thought of placing a sheet of foil under the grill rack to catch the falling bits of molten cheese?  :-*

SA Chris

• forum hero
#35 Re: Cheese on Toast
November 24, 2009, 08:56:17 am

5mm of manly stubble is enough to protect one from even the worst thermally dense toasted sandwich* ingredients

Well, that limits me to only eating any thermally dense ingredient based sandwiches after Wednesday. Assuming I shave on a Monday.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#36 Re: Cheese on Toast
November 24, 2009, 09:18:59 am
I am not totally against a bit of toasting on the cheese side if the fluffyness of the bread demands it, but generally prefer it untoasted.

The charcoal edge problem can be reduced by buttering the edges (and even the sides/crust on thick bread). This works well with thick cut fluffy white bread that needs a bit of toasting to stop it sagging.

It is important not to use reduced fat cheese. This gets a nasty film/skin on it and can ooze watery stuff onto the baked substrate; rendering even a toasted surface to the soggy consistency of Jasper's skin (shudder)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#37 Re: Cheese on Toast
November 24, 2009, 09:49:28 am
GCW, you need to taper the cheese density down to the edges so that it adequately protects the edges from incineration (I also find slowly toasting the bread helps, to get it firm without being too brown) but without oozing off the sides.

Sheesh, n00bs....

Red Leicester is also a good choice, it generally needs something to perk it up tho.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#38 Re: Cheese on Toast
November 24, 2009, 10:00:16 am
Some of you are doing this really wrong.  :'(

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
#39 Re: Cheese on Toast
November 24, 2009, 10:15:49 am
I feel a line must be drawn here. I cannot allow this thread to digress into toasted sandwiches, which I feel are a totally different subsection of bread based cullinary delights. I feel uni-slice only for this thread?

Bi-slice needs to go elsewhere (and that thing looks like a George Formby :) Grill anyway).
Here here, what the single slice fascist says. Tho' the sandwich press does look really good

SA Chris

• forum hero
#40 Re: Cheese on Toast
November 24, 2009, 10:32:18 am
Not of the fascistii, just a concerned citizen.

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
#41 Re: Cheese on Toast
November 24, 2009, 04:00:59 pm
i can see how the banning of a toasted sandwich is valid but how can you be banning eggs in a discussion about cheese on toast...

the opening post had a recipe involving fish - at least an egg is keeping it dairy.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#42 Re: Cheese on Toast
November 24, 2009, 04:07:03 pm
I don't think anyone mentioned banning eggs.  :-\

Good thread. Another vote for the spreading of tomato puree under the cheese. Amazing.

ChrisC

• menacing presence
#43 Re: Cheese on Toast
November 24, 2009, 04:30:22 pm
A late entry, but I don't think it's been in yet. Cajun Seasoning sprinkled on prior to grilling works nicely.

Another vote for the single sided toasting too.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#44 Re: Cheese on Toast
November 24, 2009, 05:13:27 pm

Yup - those 'one side toasters'  :furious: leave the bread under the cheese soggy and clammy.  :rtfm: its cheese ON toast.. not toasted cheese on bread...

GCW - ever thought of placing a sheet of foil under the grill rack to catch the falling bits of molten cheese?  :-*

this one side toasting is inappropriate and deeply offensive to the bread in question. get enough cheese on the toast to stop edge burning, the grill needs to be foil protected, but hey...

The only additions that should be considered to the mature cheese and butter are those of a savoury nature.

if I may raise the spectre of the microwave.....

anyone using this to *melt* the cheese gets shot. sniper rifle, .50 round, through the head.

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#45 Re: Cheese on Toast
November 24, 2009, 05:46:14 pm

Bobling

• menacing presence
#46 Re: Cheese on Toast
November 24, 2009, 07:31:42 pm
Jaysuz I leave the thread this morning in a spirit of peace and love and come home to the Cheese on Toast ethnic cleansing.

i can see how the banning of a toasted sandwich is valid but how can you be banning eggs in a discussion about cheese on toast...

the opening post had a recipe involving fish - at least an egg is keeping it dairy.

My brain may be frazzled but is an egg really dairy?

I am disappointed that we have not had a contribution from that noted gourmand and bon viveur Sloper though  :'(

The wife also wants to know if where you can get Hendersons when you live in Brizzle.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#47 Re: Cheese on Toast
November 24, 2009, 07:36:25 pm
Shhhhhh- don't mention H***erson's  :o

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
#48 Re: Cheese on Toast
November 24, 2009, 07:42:49 pm

The wife also wants to know if where you can get Hendersons when you live in Brizzle.
[/quote]

http://www.hendersonsrelish.com/onlineform.htm

Davey_C

• regular
#49 Re: Cheese on Toast
November 24, 2009, 08:17:46 pm
Right.....

Half toast the bread in the toaster, then stick under the grill and toast one side properly.
Spread less toasted side with tomato purée and sprinkle with oregano and bits of ripped up sliced ham (or bacon).
put grated cheese in a bowl with plenty of Worcester sauce and blast in the microwave until just melting (it requires more cheese than you think).
spread melted cheese generously over toast and grill until the cheese is nicely bubbling.

If you are feeling particularly greedy......put another slice of toast (with tomato and oregano) on top to make a toasted cheese sandwich.

:great:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal