UKBouldering.com

Single Malt Whisky (Read 132864 times)

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#25 Re: Single Malt Whisky
December 06, 2009, 01:10:39 pm
You're mis-informed and probably missing out.
I've had it with water before, it doesn't improve it for me, it just tastes diluted.   :(

clm

• forum hero
#26 Re: Single Malt Whisky
December 06, 2009, 04:06:41 pm
i sauntered in to a whisky shop in glasgow about a year ago abd asked what 30 year olds they had as it was a friends thirtieth. The shop assistant sn**gered at me and showed me a couple well over 200  quid. I looked sheepish and went off for a browse. The assistant then came over and showed me a 30 year old blended from the springbank distillery for about 45 quid. I bought it for the age connection and it is excellent. Really complex. Moral being, and id have never believed it before hand. Some blends are good.

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#27 Re: Single Malt Whisky
December 06, 2009, 08:32:59 pm
Of course some blends are good, quality in = quality out.

Magpie, have you ever tasted raw spirit?  Not exctly pleasant on the tongue.

It rather depends what you're diluting and by how much. 

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#28 Re: Single Malt Whisky
December 07, 2009, 09:13:21 am
Magpie, have you ever tasted raw spirit?  Not exctly pleasant on the tongue.
Just that one time when all the gin ran out...  ;)

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#29 Re: Single Malt Whisky
December 07, 2009, 09:41:51 am
http://www.wikihow.com/Taste-Single-Malt-Scotch

Things You'll Need:
  • A bottle of single malt Scotch whisky
  • A quality glass
  • Bottled spring water
  • At least a half-hour, free of stress and distractions
  • Additional time to allow your body to metabolize the alcohol before operating any heavy machinery or driving.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#30 Re: Single Malt Whisky
December 07, 2009, 10:21:41 am
Add water. (Optional) as much as half-and-half or as little as a few drops. Adding water depends on the strength and style of the whisky and the taster's preference. Regular bottles contain 40% to 46% alcohol by volume (ABV) and are diluted using the distillery's water source. Some whisky purists (Jim Murray, for example) feel that as it has already been diluted, further dilution is unnecessary. "Cask strength" whiskies are stronger (generally 46% to 60%) and require more water. Avoid tap water, because the chlorine and/or dissolved minerals will interfere with the taste.
  :whistle:

Sloper

• forum hero
#31 Re: Single Malt Whisky
January 03, 2010, 07:17:05 pm
On the back of the 97 clynelish ch lafite finish I'm enjoying at the moment it says 'adding water dilutes the alochol and not the flavour'.

nik at work

• forum hero
#32 Re: Single Malt Whisky
January 03, 2010, 09:41:45 pm
Surely that can only be true if the flavour is that of water? Otherwise it has to dilute the flavour, or can you add an infinite amount of water and it will still taste the same? In which case a single bottle would last eternity and business opportunities in whisky would be limited.

Methinks you may be reading from the marketeering book of FACT...

c.j.d.

• forum abuser
  • Great.
#33 Re: Single Malt Whisky
January 05, 2010, 07:40:22 pm
Monkey Shoulder.  Although not a single malt, but rather a splendid Spayside blend.

No water required, just on its own.  Loveley.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#34 Re: Single Malt Whisky
January 06, 2010, 12:18:12 pm
Monkey Shoulder.  Although not a single malt, but rather a splendid Spayside blend.
Agreed, and it comes in a very nice bottle too, which is definitely not why I bought it in the first place, no siree.  :whistle:

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#35 Re: Single Malt Whisky
January 06, 2010, 03:41:45 pm
My favourite blend is Black Bottle - all seven Islay malts. Nice.

clm

• forum hero
#36 Re: Single Malt Whisky
January 06, 2010, 04:12:00 pm
aaaah, i remember the black bottle. Was it the fat lamb monday night club? I remember a very special headache and a strong desire to vomit somewhere near southwaite. Possibly also responsible for tge onset of acute appendicitus and peritonitis. Happy days

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#37 Re: Single Malt Whisky
January 06, 2010, 04:16:04 pm
Aye, that was it. If anyone's ever near the Howgill's on a monday, drop into the Fat Lamb, tell them you're there for the monday night club and you heard about it on the internet. Good night guaranteed.

c.j.d.

• forum abuser
  • Great.
#38 Re: Single Malt Whisky
January 08, 2010, 08:25:58 pm
I'll try that Mr B.  Magpie - I didn't by it for the bottle either, althogh the little brass monkeys are cool!  CJD.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#39 Re: Single Malt Whisky
January 16, 2010, 10:28:36 pm
Back on the Laphroaig, me. God it's such a vulgar whisky, in a good way :)

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
#40 Re: Single Malt Whisky
January 17, 2010, 04:45:46 pm
I've got to agree with sloper here. If you don't dilute cask strength you do miss out on an awful lot of flavour. I actuall y use different dilutions depending on the sort of flavour I want: a bit more water and the fruity, caramelly character is to the fore a bit less and and the smokie, peaty minerally character is more apparent. This is the beauty of whisky in general and cask bottlings in particular. The same liquid can be many different drinks.

Baron

• obsessive maniac
#41 Re: Single Malt Whisky
January 17, 2010, 07:19:09 pm
Ardmore traditional cask:

http://www.ardmorewhisky.com/en/ourwhisky/traditionalmethods.aspx

Litre from Gatwick for £25. Smokey, thick and silky - like a super smooth Islay. Well good.

jordysi

• player
#42 Re: Single Malt Whisky
January 20, 2010, 10:33:11 am
OK so I am trying to learn to drink whisky and had some of the tesco single malt stuff and it was quite nice, though I could taste fennel or anaseed... am i going mad? are my taste buds knackered with all the curry I eat? or were the two bottles of wine i drank before starting on the Whisky effecting things?...

Sloper

• forum hero
#43 Re: Single Malt Whisky
January 20, 2010, 10:49:02 am
Jordysi, get yourself to an independent shop and buy and spend £30 on an independent bottling, this will be non chill filtered, non caramelised and a totally different creature.

I know £30 is more than tesco's but think about it, it works out at around £1 per measure and you're also supporting local trade etc

If you're new to whisky then start with speyside, then move onto some lowlands and then perhaps highland and island.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#44 Re: Single Malt Whisky
January 20, 2010, 11:32:42 am
Someone suggest me something to try, please, I love Laphroaig, so peaty, medicinal tasting things are good.  I also recently had a bottle of the Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban which was nice but a bit too lightweight, I felt.

I need a new bottle, tell me what is good, please.  Or should I just go and let the man in the shop sell me something he likes?

benpritch

• forum abuser
#45 Re: Single Malt Whisky
January 20, 2010, 11:39:00 am
Someone suggest me something to try, please, I love Laphroaig, so peaty, medicinal tasting things are good.  I also recently had a bottle of the Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban which was nice but a bit too lightweight, I felt.

I need a new bottle, tell me what is good, please.  Or should I just go and let the man in the shop sell me something he likes?

LAGAVULIN - oily peaty smokey.

Caol Isla - smokry

Talisker - peppery tcp

my three faves

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#46 Re: Single Malt Whisky
January 20, 2010, 12:31:09 pm
That sounds interesting.  :-\

I've had Talisker before and quite liked it, so that's another possibility.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#47 Re: Single Malt Whisky
January 20, 2010, 12:44:54 pm
Heard good things about Balvenie Double Wood, think I tried it in the pub that Sunday, but can't remember what it was like! Might be a bit smooth for you tho...

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
#48 Re: Single Malt Whisky
January 20, 2010, 01:43:06 pm

Caol Isla - smokry

Talisker - peppery tcp

my three faves
I'm not a huge fan of peaty smokie whisky but, I do like Caol Isla which to my mind is the mellowest of the the 3 Ben mentions.
You however Mags sound like a full on Islay girl so Ben's suggestions should keep you vey happy.

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#49 Re: Single Malt Whisky
January 20, 2010, 01:58:49 pm
Heard good things about Balvenie Double Wood, think I tried it in the pub that Sunday, but can't remember what it was like! Might be a bit smooth for you tho...
I've got a bottle of that at home, yes - it is very smooth. I like it a lot, it's a lot nicer than Glenfiddich in my opinion. I picked up a litre bottle for £11 in Andorra  ;D

EDIT: Why do people buy me bottles of Glenfiddich for presents, surely there must be better single malt choices in the most basic of supermarkets..
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 02:18:38 pm by Tris »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal