UKBouldering.com

Single Malt Whisky (Read 133048 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#225 Re: Single Malt Whisky
June 23, 2014, 09:43:28 am
Dear all,

I'll try to message those of you who have messaged me directly about buying a bottle/s of the inaugural bottling but in the interim; if you would like to buy a bottle, please send me a private message here with your name, contact tel and email address. I'll pass your details over to Whisky Business here in Liverpool for mail order delivery and payment.

The bottles retail at £45 and I'm currently trying to negotiate the best possible p and p rate for yall. Many thanks indeed.

Tom  :)

I've heard nothing from them btw, has anyone else?

galpinos

• forum hero
#226 Re: Single Malt Whisky
June 23, 2014, 11:08:42 am

Heard nothing here either.

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#227 Re: Single Malt Whisky
June 23, 2014, 04:58:02 pm
My recent favourites though have been ryes - the High West Double Rye and Bulleit Rye especially - really interesting minty, spicy notes along with the usual bourbon notes (burnt sugar, caramel, vanilla).
The Bulleit Rye is a household favorite for us.  My wife likes mixed whiskey drinks and prefers the Bulleit Rye.  If you like bourbon, and can find it check out Angel's Envy.  My current favorite Bourbon....  Just realized I haven't had a lick of scotch in 6-8 months, need to get back into it.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#228 Re: Single Malt Whisky
June 23, 2014, 10:53:48 pm
The Bulleit rye is great value, as is the Rittenhouse Bottled in Bond.   Sadly, Angel's Envy isn't available in the UK. With bourbons, I seem to gravitate to the more "robust" end  - ones with a rye heavy mash bill like Old Granddad 114, Fight Cocks 6yo, Knob Creek, Wild Turkey 101 (too many cowboy films when I was a kid?!).  For some reason, I've never really liked a lot of bourbon's with a "smooth" reputation, like WL Weller and Maker's Mark, or some of the Four Roses (all just taste a bit hot and sweet to my taste).  That said my overall favourite for value might be the Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage - just damn good. 

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#229 Re: Single Malt Whisky
June 23, 2014, 11:15:01 pm
Angel's Envy sits more on the smooth, but not sweet variety, although my wife and brother in law both thought it had a real kick. :shrug:

I generally prefer Knob over Maker's, so I may sit more in line with your tastes in boubon, except the wild turkey... Just can't do it.  Too many lingering flashbacks of youthful over indulgence.  I haven't tried Fight Cocks, so I'll have to check it out. 

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#230 Re: Single Malt Whisky
June 23, 2014, 11:57:36 pm
It's "Fighting Cock", 6yo, sorry for the typo, review here:

http://www.connosr.com/reviews/fighting-cock/fighting-cock-6-year-old/the-name-says-it-all/

Not fond of the Wild Turkey 80, but love the 101 (the Russell's Reserve is supposedly even better, but I've not had it - very pricey in the UK).  Currently enjoying Rowan's Creek - a "smooth" one but very rich and tasty.  Old Granddad 114 is probably the best value I've had though.  I quite like that sometimes the best bourbon comes in the tackiest looking bottle!

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#231 Re: Single Malt Whisky
July 10, 2014, 02:30:04 pm
Dear all,

I'll try to message those of you who have messaged me directly about buying a bottle/s of the inaugural bottling but in the interim; if you would like to buy a bottle, please send me a private message here with your name, contact tel and email address. I'll pass your details over to Whisky Business here in Liverpool for mail order delivery and payment.

The bottles retail at £45 and I'm currently trying to negotiate the best possible p and p rate for yall. Many thanks indeed.

I've heard nothing from them btw, has anyone else?

Chaps! Apologies for the inordinate delay in responding. After speaking to all local couriers on delivery, they were all wanting in the region of £10 upwards to deliver a single bottle.

An online & shop independent retailer called Corks Out have now started stocking the bottling. Their selling price is around £13 higher (I imagine due to clientele in their areas) but this would entitle you to free delivery - hence working out about the same if you were to buy from Whisky Business selling at £45 + p & p.

They now have some stock and if you guys would like to purchase a bottle, the link to them is at:

Corks Out

My apologies again for the delay guys. I'm working hard at the moment on a potentially great distribution deal which ought to make online sales processes easier and delivery ever cheaper.

Bests, Tom.  :)

SA Chris

• forum hero
#232 Re: Single Malt Whisky
July 10, 2014, 04:19:06 pm
Did you make it up to Speyside Festival this year?

Monolith

• forum hero
#233 Re: Single Malt Whisky
July 10, 2014, 10:24:30 pm
I didn't Chris but aim to next year. All pretty hectic at the moment but looking forward to more event attendances imminently. I did get to Islay as per usual for the annual festival. Every year a real treat!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#234 Re: Single Malt Whisky
July 11, 2014, 09:03:18 am
Sounds like good hectic though! Might try for Islay next year; whisky, bouldering and surf, what's not to like.

Monolith

• forum hero
#235 Re: Single Malt Whisky
July 11, 2014, 10:45:06 am
Indeed mate, all good! Islay is already almost entirely booked up already for next year I'm told since a few of the distilleries have their anniversaries I believe. Camping or a campervan is always a good option though of course. Let me know if you do start looking into it mate as we'll have to hook up.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#236 Re: Single Malt Whisky
July 11, 2014, 11:36:48 am
campervan

That'll do - sleeps 4! I'd love to do it.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
#237 Re: Single Malt Whisky
July 29, 2014, 01:29:56 pm
Dear all,

Malt of the Earth is horrible and none of you should buy it. At least not until I manage to get my hands on another 5 bottles  ;D :alky:

SpanishJuan

• obsessive maniac
  • two dumplings short of a stew
  • punter
#238 Re: Single Malt Whisky
July 29, 2014, 08:26:23 pm
I finally found Whisky Business in Liverpool on saturday and got two bottles of Malt of the Earth. I look forward to opening one them soon.

Monolith

• forum hero
#239 Re: Single Malt Whisky
July 31, 2014, 10:54:54 am
Dear all,

Malt of the Earth is horrible and none of you should buy it. At least not until I manage to get my hands on another 5 bottles  ;D :alky:

Glad you enjoyed it Graeme! Did Ant get a dram at all or did you fiercely guard your bounty?

I finally found Whisky Business in Liverpool on saturday and got two bottles of Malt of the Earth. I look forward to opening one them soon.

That's great news SJ! Did you enjoy the shop also? Great team of guys behind it and a nice little hidden gem. Hope you enjoy!

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#240 Re: Single Malt Whisky
August 03, 2014, 11:33:05 pm
Angel's Envy sits more on the smooth, but not sweet variety, although my wife and brother in law both thought it had a real kick. :shrug:

I generally prefer Knob over Maker's, so I may sit more in line with your tastes in boubon, except the wild turkey... Just can't do it.  Too many lingering flashbacks of youthful over indulgence.  I haven't tried Fight Cocks, so I'll have to check it out.

Some more whisk(e)y tastings (medicinal, after a weekend spent practicing self-erosion on Zoolook):

Glendronach Cask Strength - Surprisingly complex for a young sherry bomb.  Dry tannic / wood-spice / cocoa notes with a sweet sherry finish.  Much more to my taste than the competing Aberlour A'Bhunnah - which is a great bang-for-the-buck malt (especially on its frequent special offers - currently on one at Booths) but a bit "hot".

Charter 101 - simple, sweet and strong, good stuff, especially by UK standards for US imports at around £30 for 51% abv.  The spirits equivalent of a well made action film: a well crafted filler of uncomplicated need.  I feel oddly ashamed recommending it, in the same way I feel a bit funny putting Die Hard in my top 10 films ever (but how often does anyone really want to watch Battleship Potemkin).

Smooth Ambler Old Scout 7 yo Rye - good high-rye recipe whiskey, lots of lovely minty notes.  Very nice but of debatable value when compared to the 1/3 cheaper Bulleit Rye which has the same 95/5 recipe.

Monolith

• forum hero
#241 Re: Single Malt Whisky
August 26, 2014, 09:43:06 pm
For anybody interested, The Whisky Lounge, Liverpool is being held in the Metropolitan Cathedral crypt this year on Saturday September 6th. I'll be exhibiting for the first time and even though it's a lone offering I'll have for sale, a dram is included within your ticket allowance should you wish to try it.

Just a cracking day out irrespective and The Crypt is a totally amazing space.

Link for anybody interested: http://www.thewhiskylounge.com/book-now-whisky-festivals/liverpool-whisky-festival-half-day/

Monolith

• forum hero
#242 Re: Single Malt Whisky
September 03, 2014, 09:11:10 pm
Apologies for shameless self promotion but I'm a tiny fish in a large pond of drinks giants.

Bump to the previous post. Would be great if I met any of you there  :)

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
#243 Re: Single Malt Whisky
November 18, 2014, 12:11:58 pm
Jura's Superstition currently on offer at Morrisons, £25.99 instead of the usual £34 quidish. Perhaps not one for the secret stash, but worth it to spot the secret stash from being purged.

Duma

• forum hero
#244 Re: Single Malt Whisky
November 18, 2014, 12:24:31 pm
The Balvenie Carribean Cask is £38 at waitrose atm and is fucking lush.

Monolith

• forum hero

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#246 Re: Single Malt Whisky
December 12, 2014, 12:04:07 pm
Great article Tom... RT'd

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#247 Re: Single Malt Whisky
December 12, 2014, 12:52:36 pm
 :dance1:

SA Chris

• forum hero
#248 Re: Single Malt Whisky
December 13, 2014, 02:55:33 pm
Is anyone travelling up from Liverpool area to Aberdeen area any time soon? I have a special delivery awaiting...

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
#249 Re: Single Malt Whisky
December 13, 2014, 08:21:15 pm
I'm currently drinking Arran Sauternes finish, and very good it is too (hic) thatsh all I have to say on the matter.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal