UKBouldering.com

using smartphones etc while bouldering (Read 3682 times)

cofe

• forum hero
using smartphones etc while bouldering
November 09, 2009, 10:50:19 pm
i hear of people shirking spotting responsibilities cos they're too busy posting on here, so just wondered whether many people used smartphones etc while out bouldering? checking beta etc on ukb, yorkshiregrit, bleau.info and the like?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1 Re: using smartphones etc while bouldering
November 09, 2009, 10:55:43 pm
Nope, but I'm usually routing (low grades at that!).

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
#2 Re: using smartphones etc while bouldering
November 09, 2009, 11:04:15 pm
Yo, went to the Roaches the other week to find it was gopping, so checked the Outside weather webcam, clearish sky's, bingo. That was pretty sweet and saved the day. I usually have a look on here when I'm resting, but thats when I'm out on my own, although I do remember looking for the thread on Si's Arete on a particularly frustrating day.

cofe

• forum hero
#3 Re: using smartphones etc while bouldering
November 09, 2009, 11:05:04 pm
Nope, but I'm usually routing

wireless?   ;)

cofe

• forum hero
#4 Re: using smartphones etc while bouldering
November 09, 2009, 11:06:23 pm
Yo, went to the Roaches the other week to find it was gopping, so checked the Outside weather webcam,

off topic: i've used this a lot this year. not just for climbing stuff. haven't really found decent ones for the rest of the peak. perhaps a uk webcam directory is needed too?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#5 Re: using smartphones etc while bouldering
November 10, 2009, 07:20:32 am
Yo, went to the Roaches the other week to find it was gopping, so checked the Outside weather webcam,

off topic: i've used this a lot this year. not just for climbing stuff. haven't really found decent ones for the rest of the peak. perhaps a uk webcam directory is needed too?

You mean like this?

You can also use Google to search for CCTV cameras connected to the net watch them, and even control some of them.  Pretty  8) eh?

tomtom

• forum hero
#6 Re: using smartphones etc while bouldering
November 10, 2009, 08:05:31 am
All Ifern I'm afraid...

I use a meteo app all the time, which cost £2, but gives rain radar with only a 10-15 min delay. It also puts a little dot on the map where you are interested in - so I've used this (esp this summer) to decide whether or not there is a shower coming in etc.. and if to go somewhere else. Very useful and accurate.

Twitter - tweeter various pictures and text about conditions

Video beta. THeres patchy 3g O2 coverage at the Cliff, but I've not yet looked up beta on a vid there from yorkshire grit.com. I have however been bouldering at Kentmere, then been having some grub in Ambleside and got some beta from a vid on the phone there then headed back...

Webcams are usefull too, theres one overlooking the racecourse at Wetherby thats good for 'cliff conditions.

Not used online topo's etc.. yet as generally I know what I'm trying or prefer to have a book/scratchy bit of paper to look at!

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#7 Re: using smartphones etc while bouldering
November 10, 2009, 09:04:43 am
Ben P and I had a race to download the slipstones topo from a chippy in Skipton. He was using an iPhone and I had an N85. His crashed about three times and took a total of 2 hrs and I had it in about 35 seconds.

Dylog has used his retarded startek communicator Tmobile G1 to watch youtube videos of sequences on the interweb at Kylog.

dave

#8 Re: using smartphones etc while bouldering
November 10, 2009, 09:12:52 am
I've got smartphone but didn't fork out for any internet on it. You've got to look at if your reception is good enough at the crags for a start. So that rules out limestone which is probably 2/3rds of the climbing year. To be honest I like not being able to get on the internet when I'm at the crag.

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#9 Re: using smartphones etc while bouldering
November 10, 2009, 10:43:36 am
i hear of people shirking spotting responsibilities cos they're too busy posting on here, so just wondered whether many people used smartphones etc while out bouldering? checking beta etc on ukb, yorkshiregrit, bleau.info and the like?

No but have used the GPS on the blackberry to find the cliffs at Chauzon in the Ardeche. After an hour of lost wandering, it was a lifesaver :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal