UKBouldering.com

TV/iplayer must watches (Read 419198 times)

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#650 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
August 23, 2017, 01:25:19 pm
Storyville - The Silk Road documentary on iPlayer is really good.  Well worth watching.

Some of the Storyville documentaries are really good - the one about the Pirate Bay and the one about the Jerusalem football team especially.

On the Guardian's recommendation we started watching the multi-episode one of "Death On The Stairs". That's brilliant too.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#651 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
August 23, 2017, 01:31:43 pm
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08q8f1z

Not sure if this should be in the films thread, but it was in TV recently. Makes for harrowing watching, let alone the guys who were involved.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#652 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
August 31, 2017, 10:27:37 am
Frank Lloyd Wright - the man Who Built America

An hour primer on the life and works of FLW on iPlayer.

Presented by Jonathan Adams  - architect, Cardiff Millennium Centre - who was erudite and not overly attention-seeking. Not sure about the hat...

Very good on Wright's Winsconsin Welsh Unitarian roots, his long and extraordianary life, and status as American's starchitect. Most of all it spends time on and gently illuminates the major buildings. An hour well-spent.

andy popp

• forum hero
#653 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
August 31, 2017, 11:43:54 am
Sounds good. I was lucky enough to visit Fallingwater and another nearby FLW house - Kentuck Knob - last week, the first time I'd seen any of his buildings. Fallingwater is in some ways everything you'd expect, but it has clearly also become a serious money making machine for the conservancy organization that owns it and visiting is not that great an experience. Visiting Kentuck Knob allows a much better sense of what it might be like to actually live in the house.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#654 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
September 29, 2017, 11:28:27 pm
Nick Broomfield’s surprising Whitney Houston documentary is on iPlayer now.

Features her (welsh!) real-life bodyguard- “The only differences between that film and reality were that I was never shot at we never made love. When you take those things away it’s a pretty dull story I suppose”. Spoiler alert: it’s not.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#655 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 04, 2017, 10:53:47 am
Anyone watching Electric Dreams - series of short films based on Philip K Dick stories?

andy popp

• forum hero
#656 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 04, 2017, 12:29:27 pm
Is anyone watching the epic Ken Burns/Lynn Novick documentary series The Vietnam War? I believe its available somewhere on BBC. We're up to episode 7 of 10. It is flawed in a number of ways but still very worthwhile and pretty revelatory at times. The early episodes were good with a multiplicity of different voices, including many Vietnamese voices - though not enough women. I felt like it started to lapse into a more conventional military history narrative following key battles in detail. But Ep. 6 on the Tet Offensive was gripping, and full of incredible footage, and Ep. 7 began to show the real toll taken on soldiers and families, including in North Vietnam. Recommended

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#657 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 04, 2017, 01:03:28 pm
Anyone watching Electric Dreams - series of short films based on Philip K Dick stories?

Watched the first two but missed last one (or two perhaps?), I don’t mind them but t’other half doesn’t like them. What you make of them?

SA Chris

• forum hero
#658 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 04, 2017, 02:57:01 pm
I only watched the Hoodmaker so far, and enjoyed most of it, but thought the end was a bit crap and felt hurried. Will watch the others, when other half is out as she doesn't like that sort of thing either.

GazM

• forum abuser
    • Highland ramblings
#659 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 04, 2017, 03:14:16 pm
Is anyone watching the epic Ken Burns/Lynn Novick documentary series The Vietnam War?

I've watched the first two so far - thought they were superb.  I'm truly ignorant of what the Vietnam War was all about so it's been pretty eye opening so far.  Looking forward to watching ep 3 in the next few days.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#660 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 04, 2017, 04:20:07 pm

Am watching. Think it's ok. Thought the most recent one, The Commuter, the most thought provoking. The others have felt like they needed to develop further and shouldn't have been squeezed into an hour.

Nowhere near as good as Black Mirror.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#661 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 07, 2017, 09:42:59 am
I know it's not the sort of show we normally feature on this thread, but do we have any Only Connect fans in the house?

nik at work

• forum hero
#662 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 07, 2017, 12:35:01 pm
Only Connect is the best thing on TV  :2thumbsup:

Steve R

• forum abuser
#663 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 07, 2017, 06:28:45 pm
Ha, agreed, great quiz.  Not sure if acceptable to say this sort of thing on here anymore but Victoria Coren Mitchell has to be the hottest woman on tv.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#664 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 07, 2017, 07:33:13 pm
she's really intelligent, knowledgeable, quick and funny?

that's what hot means

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#665 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 07, 2017, 07:41:11 pm
Ha, agreed, great quiz.  Not sure if acceptable to say this sort of thing on here anymore but Victoria Coren Mitchell has to be the hottest woman on tv.

I'm with you there. Clever as sin and funny with it. The perfect woman.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#666 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 09, 2017, 08:26:19 am
She has stiff competition.
Just about every BBC “Science/History/Technology “ documentary (that isn’t hosted by Brian Cox), seems to seems to introduce another erudite academic of the female gender, who also fits the bill of “hot”.

It’s a bit sad that I found that surprising, though, isn’t it.
Fortunately, my 12 year old daughter thinks it’s normal.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#667 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 10, 2017, 08:56:56 am
Is anyone watching the epic Ken Burns/Lynn Novick documentary series The Vietnam War? I believe its available somewhere on BBC. We're up to episode 7 of 10. It is flawed in a number of ways but still very worthwhile and pretty revelatory at times. The early episodes were good with a multiplicity of different voices, including many Vietnamese voices - though not enough women. I felt like it started to lapse into a more conventional military history narrative following key battles in detail. But Ep. 6 on the Tet Offensive was gripping, and full of incredible footage, and Ep. 7 began to show the real toll taken on soldiers and families, including in North Vietnam. Recommended

It's here. I've watched episodes 1-4. I followed the later stages of the war on the UK news at the time and second-hand: it's had huge impact on American music and cinema. I had very little idea about the background to the war so these early episodes have been revelatory. We're getting 10x1 hour episodes, the original was 18 hour long. Surely the difference is not just ad. breaks?

Other than the obvious, two things have struck me. It seems clear Johnson and McNamara knew they were in the shit almost from the very start, but couldn’t think of an exit without losing face (or an election). More obliquely, what a beautiful looking country and people.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#668 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 10, 2017, 09:23:19 am
I know it's not the sort of show we normally feature on this thread, but do we have any Only Connect fans in the house?

Hell yeah. In fact I was super keen to apply but the two people I thought would fit the bill (hardcore cryptic crossworders, pub quizzers etc) had never watched the show!

UKB team? The Scrittlers? I am a missing vowels ninja.

Steve R

• forum abuser
#669 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 23, 2017, 09:42:15 pm
We're getting 10x1 hour episodes, the original was 18 hour long. Surely the difference is not just ad. breaks?

Took some digging but eventually found this thread on Reddit which explains the 18hrs vs ~10hrs thing: https://www.reddit.com/r/television/comments/73nt7j/bbc_4_has_edited_down_ken_burns_vietnam_war

Only watched 8 of 10 of the 10hrs version so far on iplayer.  I'll get hold of and watch (endure might be better word?) the unedited version at some point, think it'll be well worth seeing twice...

The series has been absolutely fascinating.  Challenging and inevitably grim watching at times but very insightful and brilliantly executed as far as I can tell (coming from a position of not knowing much about it).  The interviews, footage and overall style really make it.  I often find History documentaries are marred by over-enthusiastic 'tv historians' and/or those painfully unconvincing little re-enactment/dramatisation things  - this doesn't have either of those....

Worth a listen for fans of the series - Sam Harris waxes lyrical on it in this podcast conversation with the makers.   https://www.samharris.org/podcast/item/the-impossible-war .  He does admit it acts as a bit of an hour-long infomercial and there's a lot of mutual back slapping but there's some interesting ground covered on things like the process they went through to make it, the style they went for and why, the soundtrack, the scale of work involved with remastering the footage and sound, etc. 

Wood FT

• forum hero
#670 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 23, 2017, 09:56:19 pm
Fascinating watching and refreshing to see the point of view from the North Vietnamese / Viet Cong. I found it very saddening to see that the job was seen as unwinnable in the corridors of power from very early on. It was a revelation to me that Nixon persuaded the North to back away from peace talks to ensure his election, tricky fuckin' Dicky indeed.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#671 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 24, 2017, 11:11:55 am
Watch the first two of Vietnam and have the rest saved up for a rainy day.

This was good. https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0992jdt/englands-reformation-three-books-that-changed-a-nation on Tyndale's bible, Cranmer and their role in the reformation.  There are some unnecessary dramatic flourishes and the inevitable drone shots that distract but the meat of the programme is good.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#672 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 27, 2017, 09:29:39 pm
Radio 4

Peter Snow Returns to the Future

:thumbsup:

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#673 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
October 29, 2017, 08:34:20 pm
Stranger Things 2 on Netflix now, fucking top.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#674 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
November 13, 2017, 09:50:17 pm
I was on channel 4’s Four in a Bed, this evening (Episode 26), if you fancy a laugh.
Bloody hours we were filming and I had to repeat my spiel something close to a thousand times.
Final cut? Four frigging words and cut out of almost every shot.
 :boohoo:
Still, the Bunker got a showing. :devangel:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal