UKBouldering.com

TV/iplayer must watches (Read 419240 times)

andy popp

• forum hero
#625 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
April 07, 2017, 01:39:06 am
Thanks JB.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#626 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
May 20, 2017, 10:05:41 pm
BBC 4 Storyville: OJ Simpson, Made in America.  This is the best TV documentary I've seen in years... really, really good.  When W first suggested watching it I was "What? Five, one and a half hour episodes on OJ Simpson... that's eight hours...are you kidding me?".  It's absolutely gripping... it's really about America viewed through the prism of a tragedy.. Absolutely brilliant....

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#627 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
June 21, 2017, 11:12:15 pm
Any recommendations for new comedies that are actually funny? Got Netflix/Prime etc and all the recommended ones we've tried are lame. Gonna have to resort to Father Ted/Black Books/IT crowd reruns at this rate.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#628 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
June 21, 2017, 11:27:56 pm
It's not new, but I recently rewatched Toast of London on Channel 4 player thingy. Matt Berry at his best, very funny, but not everyone's taste.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#629 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
June 22, 2017, 10:09:36 am
Any recommendations for new comedies that are actually funny? Got Netflix/Prime etc and all the recommended ones we've tried are lame. Gonna have to resort to Father Ted/Black Books/IT crowd reruns at this rate.
Modern Family and Silicon Valley are both good if you haven't seen them yet.

webbo

• forum hero
#630 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
June 22, 2017, 10:23:00 am
Ha be you watched The Detectorists series one has just been repeated on BBC 2

andy_e

• forum hero
#631 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
June 22, 2017, 11:28:10 am
+1 for the Detectorists. Gentle investigation into the psyche of hobbyists overlain with subtle humour. Brilliant stuff.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#632 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
June 22, 2017, 12:47:33 pm
+1 for the Detectorists. Gentle investigation into the psyche of hobbyists overlain with subtle humour. Brilliant stuff.
Caught a couple of the first series, thought it was ok, may have to given it another chance.

Cheers for the other recommendations, will check them out.

dave

#633 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
June 22, 2017, 02:24:40 pm

Are you down with the Count Arthur Strong vibe? Another Graham Linehan winner.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#634 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
June 22, 2017, 02:29:14 pm
Is anybody watching The Handmaid's Tale?
Read the book recently and thought it was OK (I'd normally lap up this sort of dystopian future novel but I just never quite got into it). I'm successfully getting to the end of each episode of the TV program, however I'm finding it a bit like hard work as it feels incredibly slow paced.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#635 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
June 22, 2017, 02:38:24 pm
I find it hard to watch, but for the subject matter, not the pace.
I find it infuriating.
Had it been real, and I was there; I would not have survived the first couple of days...

For a great dystopian read, Frank Tayell's "Serious Crimes" and "Counterfeit Conspiracy " are quite entertaining.
Very cheap on iBooks too.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#636 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
June 22, 2017, 03:08:05 pm
Is anybody watching The Handmaid's Tale?
Read the book recently and thought it was OK (I'd normally lap up this sort of dystopian future novel but I just never quite got into it). I'm successfully getting to the end of each episode of the TV program, however I'm finding it a bit like hard work as it feels incredibly slow paced.
Enjoying it but agree about the slow pace, feels stretched out to 10 episodes when 6 or 8 would have sufficed.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#637 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
June 22, 2017, 05:05:59 pm
Oh Christ, is it ten episodes? I really can't see how that's necessary for such a short book where not a great deal happens (you can tell they struggled by the amount of extras and deviation from the book there is).

They should have chopped it to be a mini-series of 4-5 hour long episodes and, IMO, not played so heavily with flashbacks. If you'd told the story chronologically the full grimness of it could slowly have built and built with the first "ceremony" happening in the 3rd episode. As it is, everything is laid out in front of you in episode one and you then have 10 episodes of the same sort of stuff repeating itself.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#638 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
June 22, 2017, 11:49:19 pm
Enjoyed a couple of episodes of Count Arthur tonight. Cheers Dave. Found Silicon Valley on Amazon but it's not Prime so not free. :thumbsdown:

andy popp

• forum hero
#639 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
June 23, 2017, 12:16:22 am
Oh Christ, is it ten episodes? I really can't see how that's necessary for such a short book where not a great deal happens (you can tell they struggled by the amount of extras and deviation from the book there is).

They should have chopped it to be a mini-series of 4-5 hour long episodes and, IMO, not played so heavily with flashbacks. If you'd told the story chronologically the full grimness of it could slowly have built and built with the first "ceremony" happening in the 3rd episode. As it is, everything is laid out in front of you in episode one and you then have 10 episodes of the same sort of stuff repeating itself.

I've all seen all ten and I can tell you the pace doesn't pick up. Then again, I never noticed it as a problem. In the meantime, I'm two and half episodes into "Long Strange Trip" a four part (Amazon) series on The Grateful Dead. I'm no Deadhead, far from it, but I'm enjoying it. I'm even liking some of the music.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#640 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
June 23, 2017, 11:16:30 am
Still got mixed feelings about White Gold. Whole thing feels a bit forced, but there are some very funny moments, and I'm still watching and not deleted the rest of the series. Only 30 min episodes, good for a quick watch.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#641 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
July 10, 2017, 01:32:10 pm
Sooo, going back to the Handmaid's Tale. It seems that most of what was in the book happens in the first 4 episodes or so. Nearly everything that has happened since then has been new plot, and it's been quite good watching. Hadn't realised that they were going to go so off piste with the story so ten episodes now seems more fair.

dunnyg

• forum hero
#642 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
July 10, 2017, 02:25:54 pm
Where are you watching will-yam?

edit: Remembered how to google so found out

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#643 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
July 23, 2017, 09:35:57 am
Just watched "The Science of Islam", which was excellent (on BBC iPlayer). Should be compulsory school viewing.

And, if you have kids (sod it, I enjoyed it too) "Hidden Kingdoms" (also the Beeb) is riveting.
Heavily dramatised and a little like the Disney wildlife film style I remember as a child, but I think probably better researched, with a great "how we made it" thing at the end.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#644 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
August 12, 2017, 07:45:43 am
I missed it last night, but it's being repeated at some point or I think it's available on demand, but there was a programme on Sky Arts called The Agony & The Ecstasy on about t'old rave scene from back in't day. Looked quite interesting.

chris20

• menacing presence
#645 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
August 12, 2017, 05:04:53 pm
Top shelf material here http://www.channel4.com/programmes/jaguar-xkss-a-supercar-is-reborn stunning craftsmanship

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#646 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
August 14, 2017, 02:35:51 pm
Cheers Chris, that looks great

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#647 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
August 14, 2017, 03:16:24 pm

Yeah, this is great. Esoteric obsession as a guiding force isn't something you see often in tele land. This is beautifully made. Gentle is the right word. And all the better for it. I'm looking forward to the next series.

Quote from: Oldmanmatt
And, if you have kids (sod it, I enjoyed it too) "Hidden Kingdoms" (also the Beeb) is riveting.
Heavily dramatised and a little like the Disney wildlife film style I remember as a child, but I think probably better researched, with a great "how we made it" thing at the end.

I thought this was fantastic. Some incredible shots. I think it was sneered at in some quarters because the sequences were seen as being too contrived - but given that most other wildlife films use similar tricks in a less obvious way, I thought it was fascinating to see those tricks being pushed as far as they could go.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#648 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
August 23, 2017, 10:36:16 am
Storyville - The Silk Road documentary on iPlayer is really good.  Well worth watching.

tomtom

• forum hero
#649 Re: TV/iplayer must watches
August 23, 2017, 10:42:51 am
For some reason I seem to have watched Netflix' two Gulf war docu-drama-feature films "War Machine" and "Sand Castle" that have received some decent reviews...

Both are decent portrayals of the general futility of war (the grand old duke of york springs to mind..) and the former has Brad Pitt as a chompin' US General parachuted in to sort shit out - and is fairly good - but I preferred "Sand Castle" for its portrayal of the "grunts" at the sharp end...

I wouldnt cancel anything to go and watch them, but if you find yourself with a spare couple of hours you don't mind losing... :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal